1 2

#1April 24th, 2009 · 02:32 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
A question for one and all...
This has to do with the rewrite I'm trying to crank out.  I wanted to make a new thread of it to help draw in other people who don't enjoy going to the 9-page onslaught of replies found in the main thread.

Simple "poll" / experiment:

- Go to this page:  http://jquery.com/
- Half way down, there's a gray box, headlined with some text, saying "LEARN JQUERY NOW!".
- In this box, just below a few lines of mumbo-jumbo, there is a gray button labeled "RUN CODE".
- Click it.

If the button is replaced by some random blue paragraph, then your internet browser passes.  If not, please tell me what internet browser you're using, and on what kind of computer.

I expect that it works for everybody, but I did find out that it failed to work on Safari version 1.x, on a Mac OS X (10.3.9).

Anyway, if it fails for you, please provide a few details, so that I can know.  You're helping contribute to the new site   (Sorry for delayed beta.  Should be coming soon.  Trying to work out some kinks in deployment.)

Tim
#2April 24th, 2009 · 04:52 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
"button" works for me... Firefox 3.0.9
#3April 24th, 2009 · 07:20 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Yup is good..
Safari!
#4April 24th, 2009 · 08:29 AM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
Excellente!!!!
Internet Explorer(32bit)
its whatever comes installed on vista
#5April 24th, 2009 · 08:56 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
works great for me
#6April 24th, 2009 · 11:19 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Yeps works fine in Chrome..
#7April 24th, 2009 · 12:52 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
"Congratulations! You just ran a snippet of jQuery code. Wasn't that easy? There's lots of example code throughout the documentation on this site. Be sure to give all the code a test run to see what happens."

Firefox 3.0.8 (3.0.9 is still nagging me!) in XP SP3

#8April 24th, 2009 · 01:47 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
I'm glad that it has no general problems.  Their page lays out what it supports, but I'm kind of curious to get an honest sampling of the real public and what browsers they use, and if it works for them.

Thanks, everybody.  Beta should be on its way.  Things are kind of bare bones at the moment, but the foundation is there.  I've been neglecting some of the visuals of the site's themes in favor of getting some really interesting stuff done.

And of course, when the beta goes up, that'll be a good signal for being just about ready to make this thing truly open source, for all to edit and make better!
#9April 24th, 2009 · 05:57 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
Excuse me tim?
when you say open source...

explain how that might work? i mean i realize we all don't get to go in and screw
with the sites code right there so to speak but exzactly how do we do that?
#10April 24th, 2009 · 06:07 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Well, I'd like to have an SVN (subversion) "repository" where legit (authenticated) users of bandamp can download a working copy of the bandamp site code.

From there, you can place a "lock" on a file, which tells others that they can't make changes to that single file until you release the lock.  Then, when you're done making a change, you can save your changed file to the central "repository", so that your changes get reflected on the main website.  Consequently, your changes would be made in anybody else's copy of the website, too.

So it works from one central "repository", where people can check out a copy.  Any changes made can be committed to take effect on the central source.  Everybody's checked-out copies also get updated with your change.

And then... say... once a week, the changes made to the site can get pushed into the real live website.  There would always be the bandamp "dev" site, and the real site.  The dev site is accessible to everyone, but it might contain partial features, or experimental stuff that needs tweaking.
#11April 24th, 2009 · 09:36 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
okay, interesting....I just now saw the "random blue box" for the first time tonight (Only on IE on my home computer...it didn't work with Firefox on my home computer...didn't work with either IE or Netscape (blaaa) on my computer at work.  Both computers use XP pro....SP(maybe 2 or 3...can't remember).
#12April 24th, 2009 · 10:20 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
battlecat wrote…
okay, interesting....I just now saw the "random blue box" for the first time tonight (Only on IE on my home computer...it didn't work with Firefox on my home computer...didn't work with either IE or Netscape (blaaa) on my computer at work.  Both computers use XP pro....SP(maybe 2 or 3...can't remember).

I noticed sometimes that it won't load up the proper code in time... it seems to me that the link normally tries to take you to a Tutorials page.  But, the thing I wanted everyone to test will swing in and replace the target of that link.  So it switches from pointing to the Tutorial page, to the trigger for the blue paragraph.   ... and sometimes it just doesn't make the replacement.  I'd maybe try refreshing the page once with the F5 key or Control-R, and try again.

Thanks very much for telling me.  Could you tell me what versions of FireFox and Netscape you're using?  I just want to make a note of it.  This is the sort of thing that I want to know about so that I can program a dumbed-down version of the site that can't make use of fancy stuff.
#13April 24th, 2009 · 10:51 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
TonightsLastSong wrote…
battlecat wrote…

I noticed sometimes that it won't load up the proper code in time... it seems to me that the link normally tries to take you to a Tutorials page.  But, the thing I wanted everyone to test will swing in and replace the target of that link.  So it switches from pointing to the Tutorial page, to the trigger for the blue paragraph.   ... and sometimes it just doesn't make the replacement.  I'd maybe try refreshing the page once with the F5 key or Control-R, and try again.

Thanks very much for telling me.  Could you tell me what versions of FireFox and Netscape you're using?  I just want to make a note of it.  This is the sort of thing that I want to know about so that I can program a dumbed-down version of the site that can't make use of fancy stuff.
My Firefox is 3.0.9. I left my Netscape at work...I can tell you that Monday.....and, yes...I got the tutorials every time...maybe I should have waited longer...(edit)...Okay...now on Firefox (second try)...I initially got the tutorial, waited a sec... then I returned back to the main page. clicked on the button...Voila! The little blue box!!! I'll try that at work , too!
#14April 25th, 2009 · 02:56 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Yeah.. unfortunately, there's some sporadic-ness.  I hope that doesn't happen with the implementation on the new site

I'm trying to keep it simple, yet pretty.  Complexity seems to mess up just about every browser at some point!
#15April 25th, 2009 · 08:21 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
jQuery is fantastically supported.  I've used it in production a few times, and I've never had problems.  Deals with most IE6 problems, and as for Safari 1.x...less people use that than Konqueror, so don't worry about it.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 8th, 2024 · 1:43 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.