#1April 13th, 2009 · 09:38 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
Complete Computer Build!! (review)
hey guys... i need some computer geniuses to check over my work...
i have bargain searched for a couple of weeks now..
and i think i've done it!!!
a SUPER AWESOME RECORDING DAW
for < 400$
(well not if you count in my studio gear...but this is just the computer)

anyway here goes..

Motherboard
GIGABYTE  GA-MA770-UD3
Max RAM = 16gb (4x4gb) of DDR2
4 PCIe
8 usb 2.0
2 IEEE 1394a ports

CPU
AMD Phenom 9600 2.3ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&ItemList=Combo.182233

combo cpu and motherboard price = $139.98 ($129.98 w/ rebate)

RAM
Patriot Extreme Performance 4gb (2x2gb)
$64.99 ($39.9 w/ rebate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220314

Hard Drive
Seagate 640gb
$69.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148335

Power supply
Rosewill RP500 500W
$49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182009

Graphics Card
Diablotek ATI Rage XL Video Card
$13.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1520508&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#productresources

Case
Rosewill Case
$49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147083

so with rebates that puts this computer at an astounding $353.93
(give or take shipping but most items are free shipped!!!!)

so TLS, Kings,Toast?

did i do a good job hunting you guys?
Toast i decided to deffinatley do Firwire just because of the quality
and ease of recordings... plus the upgradablity
and firewire isn't that expensive...

but what do you guys think about my parts...
are they compatible?
#2April 14th, 2009 · 12:09 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
you've done wonderfully.  You've illustrated just how good of a deal you can get if you bargain-hunt all of the pieces.  Had you simply bought stuff online (without some good bargainhunting) it would have been useless.  You've managed to top some of the stuff you found earlier!

The video card you've listed isn't going to work wonders.  In fact, if you expect Vista to run at its normal capacity, I might step back up a notch.  In a very brief nutshell, Vista has begun the trend of trying to utilize your video RAM and video processor (in short, your video card) to take care of the visual aspects.  This is good, because it means that the regular computing, such as audio processing, can have 100% of your processor and RAM.  Windows XP can't do that, so no matter how good your video card was, XP would still make your main processor and RAM take care of visuals, thus the video card was mainly for simply displaying to your monitor, and for games.

So, since you're running Vista, I would suggest a card that has 32mb of video ram or more (but not TOO much more).

Did you decide about the whole 64-bit or 32-bit operating system?  You've got my serial key for a 32-bit Vista Business installation.  If you chose to go with the 32-bit OS after all, then you'll want to be careful that your video card doesn't have too much ram on it.  The reason goes back to what I've said before, about how a 32-bit OS can only handle 4gb of total RAM, from the sticks of ram you buy, plus video card ram, plus harddrive "cache", etc.  Since you're buying 4gb of RAM to go on the motherboard already, you'll want to take care not to cut into that 4gb too much by getting a video card with a lot of RAM that you'll never use.

So, again, I would recommend getting a slightly better video card, so that Vista can do its thing like normal, but without cutting into your 4gb of RAM on your motherboard.

Other than that-- looks amazing You're tempting me to buy the same thing, but I couldn't justify it, since I only bought my last coputer 8 months ago!
#3April 14th, 2009 · 05:20 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
here is the thing...
OK... i had actually planned on running a 64 bit version of windows concidering how its not going to be that big of a deal to "find" a "legal" serial key somewhere..... 
because... my motherboard there can hold 16gb of RAM!!!

i don't need that whole 16gb.... NOW!
but i plan on maybe expanding in the future
so the whole 32bit only using 4gb...
thats not very practicle...

but is 128mb too much if i'm running 64bit...
or is it not enough?

dang my mom called and i lost my train of thought...

but.... uhm..... %#$^ i can't remember now!!!!

yea... whats your opinion?
#4April 14th, 2009 · 06:48 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
re: here is the thing...
DowntownSasquatch wrote…
OK... i had actually planned on running a 64 bit version of windows concidering how its not going to be that big of a deal to "find" a "legal" serial key somewhere..... 
because... my motherboard there can hold 16gb of RAM!!!

i don't need that whole 16gb.... NOW!
but i plan on maybe expanding in the future
so the whole 32bit only using 4gb...
thats not very practicle...

but is 128mb too much if i'm running 64bit...
or is it not enough?

dang my mom called and i lost my train of thought...

but.... uhm..... %#$^ i can't remember now!!!!

yea... whats your opinion?

I personally suggest you just go with the 32-bit version. it works better, less bugs, and a LOT more things will be compatible with the 32-bit  version that the 64-bit. you wont notice much of a difference for recording and such though.
#5April 18th, 2009 · 05:08 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
looks good.. imho I am not much on seagate HD's .. I tend to stick with western digital, I have had better luck with western digital than other brands.   Just my opinion though .. no facts to back that up at all though.
#6April 18th, 2009 · 03:14 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Western Digital typically runs a little bit higher in cost, but if you don't have much flexibility in budget, either brand should be alright.

I wouldn't say that 64-bit has "bugs".  Quite the contrary.  It's far superior, but the limitation is that if you're using 64-bit windows, then you *need* 64-bit programs.  Most good ones will make a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version.  But you have to beware of the programs that don't make a 64-bit version.  Skype is a good example of a stupid company that can't get on the ball.  They don't make a 64-bit version of their program, last I checked.  (Or at least, they make no Linux version for 64-bit.)

You just have to keep your eyes open to what you're going to do.

If you can give a list of the programs you plan on using, then we can figure out if they have a 64-bit version.

If you have a video card with 128mb of ram, then that should be good, whether you choose 32 or 64-bit windows.
#7April 18th, 2009 · 03:27 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
i know windows vista has a 32 and 64-bit versions.
i guess all the bugs are from vista then lol.
#8April 19th, 2009 · 01:01 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
yea guys i was kinda scared away from the WD...
they had some HORRIBLE reviews on the egg????
but yea i'm working my butt off to get the money...
i've got half right now!!!
#9April 19th, 2009 · 05:52 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
There's a letter in Computer Music magazine this month about the 32bit/64bit problem.
According to the piece there seams to be enough 64bit drivers, OS's and DAW's around but the guys plugins wouldn't work and his Vista uses too much RAM, which ultimately seams to mean that he cant utilize his 8gb ram 64bit quad core processor.
The editors reply tends to agree with him and hopes the industry picks up !!!

So the discussion is on going, get everything working with 32bit or go for the better quality but less quantity of 64bit.....looking to a future.
#10April 19th, 2009 · 09:53 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
Dam.... So kings and tls what do you guys suggest... I'm felling the 32-bit vibe from you guys
#11April 20th, 2009 · 08:14 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Well  bugger my barnacles ! I was about to post that I have a 64bit system and most of my plugins work........but the reality is I cant even get CubaseSX 1,2 or 3 to work on my system (thats why I still use Cubase32 ??? But 32 shouldn't work in my system either...duh I'm confused!!!)

I have been thinking of reinstalling my XP, this ones getting a bit full, I do believe that I will now try out the 32bit system, to see if my programs do start working again. Good thread DS  
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 8:17 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.