#1March 9th, 2009 · 03:52 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Easy Data Backup to External HD with Folder Synchronisation Program
I've finally found what I'm looking for....well for now anyways.
A 500GB portable HD and a Free Synchronisation program called Allway Sync : http://allwaysync.com/
I wanted to check out a Sync program because I was not happy having a 'Back-up program' running in the background and having it create a new folder going 10 levels deep just to save some obscure settings file....every time......all dated and time stamped and all over the place.
So I thought I'd 'synchronise' my important files and partitions, into folders on the 500GB HD.
On synchronising the first time it copies the whole lot into the 'new destination' folder which can then be 'synced' at any time later.
I had to copy my Programs in safe mode (F8) to avoid my AGV 'holding on' to crack files and refusing to let me copy them.
Allway Sync is based on 'Jobs', a tab per job, so job 1 would be My Documents , job 2 - Samples, job 3 - Songs, job 4 - e-mails, job 5 - Pictures or which ever folders you want
Each Job can be synchronised separately or all at the same time. So after making music I can sync My Samples and My Songs or if I've been working on my web site I can sync My Web Sites and My Picture Samples.......and once a month sync the whole lot.
It has proven it's self as a back-up already, I had to format my Programs partition, it was becoming corrupted and just too full. I made a sync (in safe mode) before hand, formatted the partition and then restored the folders with a 'one way sync' (calling the mirror folders the source and the original the destination).

I've stuck this here because I'm just so chuffed at getting such a simple set up to do such an important thing ! and because of the resent 'lost all my data' and 'O! no! crashed again!'  threads in the Pit. 
#2March 9th, 2009 · 05:40 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Kings, I do something very similar with my external drive... but the sync software I use is simply the briefcase folder facility within Windows.  I find the beauty of a briefcase folder is its simplicity and ability to be created on any medium - I have a briefcase folder on a USB stick that I use to ensure some of the files on my mum's pc are kept current.

One thing that I'd not thought of (although I've not had a problem to date) is starting the PC in safe mode to make sure that AVG doesn't stop transfer of some "iffy" files I have. Good tip, I'll check that out for sure!
#3March 9th, 2009 · 06:55 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Jiminuk wrote…
Kings, I do something very similar with my external drive... but the sync software I use is simply the briefcase folder facility within Windows.  I find the beauty of a briefcase folder is its simplicity and ability to be created on any medium - I have a briefcase folder on a USB stick that I use to ensure some of the files on my mum's pc are kept current.

One thing that I'd not thought of (although I've not had a problem to date) is starting the PC in safe mode to make sure that AVG doesn't stop transfer of some "iffy" files I have. Good tip, I'll check that out for sure!
Jim
While doing some reading up on 'the way of the sync' on-line every article mentioned the Briefcase as a possibility but they also advised against it as it has limitations and some things it just simply wont do, so I went for a sync program.
It's what ever works for you, as long as it works!
Yes safe mode works wonders!  
#4March 11th, 2009 · 02:33 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Or simply disable AVG before transfer?
#5March 11th, 2009 · 05:15 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
MindsAtPlay wrote…
Or simply disable AVG before transfer?
That didn't work for me. Neither did closing every thing starting with 'av' in the task manager, they just kept on coming back!
AVG starts it's self up even when I turn it of in 'start up'.  I'd have to uninstall it , easier in safe mode.

The truth is I dont even know if it is AVG , it could also be some Windows firewall or other level of Windows security, it could have been something in a Windows update ??
I just cant do anything with the files, no copy no right click, there's no icon, I cant rar them or move them in any way, not even 'on boot', all I can do is 'delete' them and drag to the RecycleBin works too!
Works fine in safe mode though
#6March 12th, 2009 · 04:25 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Yeah, honestly, Ive had to uninstall AVG before as well but I had failed to try to disable it in any fashion before attempting the transfer...  I have to assume its AVG... I havent had any other issues otherwise...
#7March 12th, 2009 · 05:12 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
MindsAtPlay wrote…
Yeah, honestly, Ive had to uninstall AVG before as well but I had failed to try to disable it in any fashion before attempting the transfer...  I have to assume its AVG... I havent had any other issues otherwise... ;)

Minds !! .... I just checked this out and indeed turning off Resident Shield in AVG did the trick, thank a lot , I couldn't see the wood for the trees.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 7:36 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.