1 2

#1March 8th, 2009 · 10:15 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Pc question
Is there a way of me putting specific shortcuts in the bottom bar so I can get them out of the desktop? Similar to what a mack has minus the scroll animation obviously.I have a fairly clean set up but I want t have the softwares in quick acces but not in the way..Opening sub folders gets tedious after 5 or 6 hours of going back and forth from program to program....I do have them in the desktop now and its what I want only I wish they were in bottom bar.. Specially my recording and audio editing software..
#2March 9th, 2009 · 11:54 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Yes, yes yes and yes.....
You need Rocket Dock.....very stable, very versatile, customisable, uses no resources (except loading loads of lovely icons) and works independent of windows in that it can be anywhere and more than once in your pc, if you wrote into the 'settings.ini' (in root folder) before hand and then burned it (the program) with your folders to a cd or dvd you could have the menu linked to the folders on the cd and get it to open on the desk top when the cd is inserted !!

If you go to my 'home page' www.kingsonone.com you'll see a JavaScript version of what I mean, I made that one to look and work exactly as my RocketDock Menu on my pc. Obviously because my home page is my desk top.

If you cant find it on line or understand it I'd love to make a package ready for you.

You can also right click your toolbar and choose 'toolbars / desktop' which will put a 'desktop' button on your toolbar that gives you a dropdown of your desktops contents.....so if you have a folder with all your links/shortcuts in it on your desktop you can access it through the popup/dropdown desktop button on the toolbar.
comprende ?  
My toolbars are all on top so they dropdown!

But RocketDock is seriously a wonderful 'tool'.
#3March 10th, 2009 · 06:15 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Kings your awesome..Tx a lot..I'm still trying to understand this..But yeah Im game for it..So Resources when uploading Icons?
How would that translate too idiot english(lol)?Meaning when restarting Pc not when running my DAW right? or when I scroll on the tool bar?
#4March 10th, 2009 · 09:45 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
You can also use the quick launch in windows itself.  Just right click on your task bar and select properties then click on 'show quick launch' and presto... from there just drag your icons from the desktop into the quick launch and you're set...

No resources lost and its free!
#5March 11th, 2009 · 07:59 AM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
wow.....

i never knew you guys were such big gamers!!

hahah
#6March 11th, 2009 · 04:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Resources - well according to the task manager it uses 7,500k memory, ff uses 103,308k while I'm focused on it. It is a very stable program and as far as I know doesn't get in the way of any other program I use. I've also had the Vista SideBar (on my XP), that did take a lot of resources.
This thing just stays there through thick and thin , I've pissed about loads with this system , had my toolbar/startbar disappear, but RD is always there....so I put a link to the start bar in it too! 
What I meant with it using resources to load it's icons was that that's the most resources it uses , to load the icons on start up... otherwise it just sits there.......waiting !  

Minds : The quick launch is a good option for 'quick' links to programs, but M mentioned all the open folders that he dident want, and folders in the quick launch open the folder in a window.....
So a custom toolbar button to his folder (of shortcuts/links) for it to scroll the contents would suit him better.

Rocket Dock is just such a cool way of doing it. There are other 'Mac Menu Bars' around, I find this to be perfect.
There is a kkMenu mod for it to scroll the contents of folders in a cool window, but it started being odd after a year or so, so I dont use it.
As it is RD does not scroll folder contents, it just opens the folder like the quick launch, so if you really want to scroll the contents of a folder you should use the toolbar option.

So did you see the menu on my site?

I'm off to make a Rocket Dock package for you, with a lot of extra icons I've collected over the years! 
#7March 22nd, 2009 · 12:00 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: Pc question
Marino wrote…
Is there a way of me putting specific shortcuts in the bottom bar so I can get them out of the desktop? Similar to what a mack has minus the scroll animation obviously.I have a fairly clean set up but I want t have the softwares in quick acces but not in the way..Opening sub folders gets tedious after 5 or 6 hours of going back and forth from program to program....I do have them in the desktop now and its what I want only I wish they were in bottom bar.. Specially my recording and audio editing software..

I've been compiling a special RocketDock package, extra icons, programs, mods and set-ups, it's done now and I'm happy it all works ... on my pc anyway.
I've put it up on The Pirate Bay : http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4791675

If you use it tell me what you think of it.
#8March 22nd, 2009 · 01:56 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
kings... you really do push rocket dock alot..
if the economy dosnt turn up
you could always become a rocket dock sales rep.
lol
#9March 22nd, 2009 · 05:38 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Got it Kings tx a billion..Ill be knocking at your bell quite soon with questions(ha ha ha)...Tx again !
#10March 26th, 2009 · 06:24 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
re: re: Pc question
kings wrote…
Marino wrote…

I've been compiling a special RocketDock package, extra icons, programs, mods and set-ups, it's done now and I'm happy it all works ... on my pc anyway.
I've put it up on The Pirate Bay : http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4791675

If you use it tell me what you think of it.
Kings it works great tx a bunch mate...
#11March 26th, 2009 · 10:26 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
seed, fools!  I've got 18 weeks before it finishes :P
#12March 26th, 2009 · 10:28 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Oh, by the way... if you're interested, Windows 7 (which I use as my normal operating system.. still in beta, but very functional) sort of changes up the task bar.  They got rid of the QuickLaunch bar, in favor of a slightly mac-influenced taskbar.

I posted a blog with a few images about it, for a few people who were interested.  Screenshots are worth a lot more than the words I could take to explain it:

http://timvalenta.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/windows-7-better-than-sliced-bread/
#13March 26th, 2009 · 10:28 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
ha ha ha ha sorry..Ill leave the Pc on tonight so you can get it..That was funny...
#14March 27th, 2009 · 11:46 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Hey, you jokers... so where did that self-extracting exe file just put stuff.. ?  It didn't really let me pick.
#15March 27th, 2009 · 11:52 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Ah, running it again revealed that it wrote to "C:Program FilesRocketDock"

Confusing thing is... My primary harddrive is the W drive, not the C.  You can image the trouble with looking for an application which decides where to install without your consent :P

.. ( I'm not sure why programs like this don't make use of system variables, such as %WINDIR% (your windows folder) and then just go up one, and over to Program Files. Pardon my critique, but I'm a fellow programming, and I can't understand the lack of logic :P Reading file directories is not a tough thing to do.)
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 2:04 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.