#1February 26th, 2009 · 09:16 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
audio only?
ok guys...

obviously life takes some turns you dont expect it to...

i never went and got studio equipment and i movved in with my dad...

so no more basement studio 

but... life is WAY better

(thats a LONG story)

but anyway I have a camera...

a damn good one at that and i

was wondering if there was a way i could video

the song and then just take the audio from

the video?

any help is apreciated!!!
#2February 26th, 2009 · 10:44 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
I used to do this... record on my video camera then just take the audio.... sometimes even kept the video....

But to answer your question, you will need some sort of video editing program... I have Adobe Premier Pro... perhaps a little overkill if your just going to use it to export audio only from a video file... If you have Windows XP, you should have Windows Movie Maker... that might do it, otherwise just try downloading some freeware or shareware video editing software until you find one that can export audio only (most should be able to do this).
#3February 26th, 2009 · 10:59 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
another option
Check the camera's in and out ports ,firewire/usb but should also be yellow red and white video / audio out so you can plug cam into tv to watch.
The lead has red white yellow rcas on on  end and a multi ring minipin on the other.
Use the red and white only to the rcas on your sound card or mixer input.
works.

#4February 27th, 2009 · 06:24 AM
34 threads / 18 songs
68 posts
Denmark
download "Any video converter" there you can convert your video into audio
#5February 27th, 2009 · 10:04 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Firewire will give you the best quality, You'll need to buy an interface, they are very cheap, assuming your video camera has firewire. But you will still need good mics, not so sure this will give you good enough quality.

I assume you have no cash, otherwise buy an interface for you pc with a cheap preamp.

Denis
#6February 27th, 2009 · 02:20 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Buy a Microphone !!!!!
#7February 27th, 2009 · 02:54 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
save up some money and get some good equipment. (just a $130 mixer and a mic or two and your computer gives you great quality for a great price)
#8February 27th, 2009 · 09:26 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
I actually believe that the camera is your best option... It's free and you say it's a good camera (it WILL have firewire, so you can get full uncompressed sound capabilities) and it's free. You are recording a band so to actually beat the quality a camera can capture, you would need more than one microphone otherwise it's the same thing... and you will need a laptop or a computer in the same room as where you guys play (not always plausible).

I think it's a waste of money to buy cheap little mixers and cheap microphones in this case because if you end up scrapping the whole band and music thing, you ended up wasting money on the equipment whilst if you decide to get more serious about music then you are gonna end up buying bigger better mics and mixers so once again you are left with cheap equipment that you won't really need.

With a camera, you have made no investments and you are getting a portable recorder that through the good times and the bad can still be used as a video camera.... (if all else fails)
just don't break it while recording your band because you did say that it was a good one... and replacing or repairing it will cost more than a mixer and microphone package!
#9February 28th, 2009 · 06:22 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
On paper this sounds like a good idea, though I'm not sure how much quality you'll be able to get out of a camera... (sorry for my overcast opinion)

I've recorded things on a camera before, and while it wasn't exactly an amazing camera, the mic in it is awful.  I recorded some demo piano stuff while sitting at the piano, and the sound came out pretty awfully.  It was fine in my case, because it was only meant to be a "guide track".

But, if it's still what you want to do, "Any Video Converter" should be enough to get the job done.  You'll just want to delete the video track, and then save it in an audio format.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 4:22 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.