#1January 27th, 2009 · 04:55 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Using cubase you should rename each project and give it it's own project name, which means under cubase in audio file , you would create a new folder for each project..  I do my file back ups automatically .. I use a sata hard drive set up.  One of the hard drives is set up to mirror the C drive, so everything written on the C drive is also written on that drive, thus automatic back up.  The other hard drive is set up for extra storage (old files that I might need from time to time).

This is not the ideal way to do it. for recording computers.. for just recording computers you should set up all your drives to write all together as one drive.(  speed things up considerably) then use an external drive to store your files to... works great if that is all your doing..  Unfortunately at this time I am using my windows computer for both recording and everything else. So I set the hard drives up like this. It's not the most efficient for recording but my computer doesn't have any problems keeping up so it works. 

You should also learn how to back your software programs and important files  to either floppy disk, or CD or DVD,  If you got our program as a .rar file and know where it is ,, just send it for back up to one of these drives.
#2January 27th, 2009 · 05:04 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
I copy all of my work on Cd's...and come to think of it..I need to do that to some work that I haven't done so...
#3January 28th, 2009 · 03:05 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
toastedgoat wrote…
for just recording computers you should set up all your drives to write all together as one drive.(  speed things up considerably) then use an external drive to store your files to...
I was told to keep the programs (Cubase , plugins , DXinstruments) on one HD (eg C:) and the Samples (eg Wave files) on another HD.
Putting everything on one HD means it has to read both the programs and the sample files at the same time, splitting it up means half the work load. Whether or not this is the ideal way I dont know, I was told so, it made sense, so I did so!
It got me into using more HDs and Partitions anyway.
#4January 28th, 2009 · 07:24 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
for just recording computers you should set up all your drives to write all together as one drive.(  speed things up considerably) then use an external drive to store your files to...
I was told to keep the programs (Cubase , plugins , DXinstruments) on one HD (eg C:) and the Samples (eg Wave files) on another HD.
Putting everything on one HD means it has to read both the programs and the sample files at the same time, splitting it up means half the work load. Whether or not this is the ideal way I dont know, I was told so, it made sense, so I did so!

well that would make sense to me. I understand the fastest way when having multiple drives is to set it up where it writes to all drives like 1 drive.. When I was with Joker , Mark the mngr. hired a pro for that studio set up..  That was how he set it up. writes to all drives at the same time. The problem with that is... you either need to back all files thru the burners, or use another external hard drive for back ups.
#5January 28th, 2009 · 04:09 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

Not sure how this method would increase efficiency unless you have a multi threaded processor, you might also look at is like this: now the processor has to divide its resources between two drives instead on one...   This process still happens at the same time but now it is looking in two locations instead of one?  Again, with multi threading or Dual Core machines prevalent, the point is probably mute... and while having redundant drives (or a RAID setup) certainly makes sure you have a backup of everything... think of all the wasted space... instead of having 400 gigs of info, you have 2 copies of 200 gigs... Its all a matter of preference to be certain... I just make sure I have a slave drive to send all my files to and a copy of windows for when that main drive goes down... I always back up my software and samples to DVD at least once a month... and I feel pretty safe about things at this point... do whats right for you... good info in this thread.
#6January 28th, 2009 · 04:50 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
toastedgoat wrote…
kings wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

well that would make sense to me. I understand the fastest way when having multiple drives is to set it up where it writes to all drives like 1 drive.. When I was with Joker , Mark the mngr. hired a pro for that studio set up..  That was how he set it up. writes to all drives at the same time. The problem with that is... you either need to back all files thru the burners, or use another external hard drive for back ups.
But thats what you've got is it not? You have a SATA drive? Writing to 2 HDs at once is a SATA set-up, you do need two of them though......!

Minds : as I said I dont know if it's the best set up. But....thinking about it, I still think two HDs makes more sense, your processor processes the data anyway, whether from it comes from 'com 1' or 'com 1 and com 2'. And in any case with one HD all the info/data must physically travel along one IDE cable, OK, so you could have 2 HDs on one cable but were talking 'ideal' here. And most PCs have 2 IDE ports.
#7January 28th, 2009 · 05:09 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
back up (please move to proper thread)
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct07/articles/data_protection.htm
http://www.daw-solo.com/FYI
http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/how-to-set-up-raid-on-your-pc/201889

yes  sata drives.  There is more to this though,  it needs looking into. I was checking out pro tools set up and read a thread that they don't support SATA raid set up.. This may have changed just recently though as most newer pro mac set ups are using 4 large very fast Sata drives.  I will keep looking , my understanding so far is if your using IDE drives ,, you should set up your  programs  on one, and audio and samples on the other.(just found that out not just from kings, but some threads off of gearslutz made the same suggestions).That is if using IDE drives and smaller slower drives.  If your drives are under 500gig and under 10,000 rpm.  I am not sure why this is..

I do know for sure that the installer computer guy that did Marks studio build for Joker , set up the drives to write optimum performance, that was to all drives like they are one drive, according to him it speeds things up considerably (this is on a mac pro intel quad core multi sata hard drive system). I will ask him and find out why that is. The problem with that set up. is for back up, you would need to back everything up on a burner ,or send it to external hard drive set up(pro studios use external arrays anyway). 

check here
http://www.glyphtech.com/products/index.html

Server Time: May 7th, 2024 · 9:39 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.