#1January 26th, 2009 · 02:37 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I lost my music tracks
Lost everything except the rendering of the songs Ive made...

New hellhounds version with toastgoat gone..
All Marino Experiment track gone
All my tracks with Minds at play gone...
All the autism tracks...Gone
All the funk tracks gone.....
All the new versions of costellos music gone....
All my software including Ez drummer,FL and Cubase gone

over  2 years of music and software downloads gone ...
The PC would keep trying to come back on and after 4 hours of turning on and off ,I had to reformat.. The scariest thought was loosing the PC.... But now that the PC is not lost Im feeling the damage..I am drained and not sure if this has hit me entirely ...................

To top it off while searching for missing software I got that damn Spyware 2009 hidden as adobe acrobat.
Someone sending a message to me....?????

Just wanted to share....
Ill be starting over from scratch I guess...
#2January 26th, 2009 · 04:22 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Awww man that totally sucks.
At least you can download any music you have uploaded here.
Good luck to ya
#3January 26th, 2009 · 05:41 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Man! As you know, I had a hardrive go down not long ago that had just about everything I did past and present... MAN IT HURT! Learned some lessons though... Burn baby burn! Get a dvd burner if you dont already have one and start backing up the software and samples you download... Also, not a bad idea to invest in a little jump drive or something.. (they are so cheap these days) and backup your projects at the end of each night... trust me! SO WORTH IT! That or invest in a slave drive that you can put all your important stuff on... that way if the main drive goes down you can still recover... anyway, So sorry to hear it man! Let me know if there is anything I can help with...
#4January 26th, 2009 · 06:01 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Downer!
But there is hope......DONT FORMAT again , should not have formatted to start with!!!!
Get on another computer and go and look for R-Studio and / or O&O DiskRecovery or any other Recovery program.
R-Studio has found numerous lost partitions and even files and folders on hard drives even after formatting, but the chance of recovering a structure after formatting are small, but you may find some files.
If you are going to try and recover it, let me know I can give you a few tips.

Tip #1 : from http://www.runtime.org/recoverability.htm
In NTFS, formatting a volume creates a new MFT. However, this affects only the first 25 or so entries. It usually does not touch the MFT entries of previous user files.

That means you can expect a "good" data recovery. Almost all files should be correctly retrieved.

Your results will be even better when you formatted a drive that was previously FAT-formatted with NTFS or vice versa. In this case the original FAT or MFT will probably not be damaged because these structures are located at different areas on the drive.
#5January 27th, 2009 · 12:28 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
yeah I screwed up when you called me.  I wasn't thinking.. sorry.. I should have mentioned about taking the hard drive out , and plugging it into another computer  that boots off a different drive.. then using recovery software start accessing the files that are on that hardrive..... I had this happen last year.... that is why I use several hard drives, one is always set to mirror.  and I usually back up my work now.  It sucks.. I lost everything when the hardrive smoked.

Hope you can get some of the files recovered .. usually if the file hasn't been written over the info is still there.
#6January 27th, 2009 · 04:12 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear that M,

Like Goat I have an external  hard drive [normal hardrive in a USB case] I back up everything.
The price of hardrives have come down a lot, well worth the investment, or back up on DVD RW

Do you have copies of your software, I'm sure we can all help you here.

Hope to see some new Music from you soon!!

Denis
#7January 27th, 2009 · 11:34 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
That's really terrible, Marino. I know how it feels... It's like your entire train of creativity has simply derailed. Utterly frustrating! The one and only ultra downside of digital storage media. If it crashes, all is lost. I had hard-disc recorders crash during sessions a few times, but hey that's only one song lost... But losing everything: we had this happen with our 2nd demo of a former band... We were well on our way placing finishing touches to songs, the recording sessions had taken many months to complete. And then... the computer died. Maybe some data wouldve been salvageable if someone hadn't reformatted the whole HD, which seemed, to him, the only option to ever get the computer running again (I opted for calling in someone with more know-how but nooo). We didn't have *any* mixdowns whatsoever yet, and all the original recordings of our first demo were lost too - and that was scheduled to be remixed (the mixdowns weren't really good imo) - plus a couple of side projects from various members and guests. The band died shortly afterwards. But what am I saying, your stuff was probably much cooler than what we had ever made!

Anyway we could start a self help group and mourn together...

I hope you get your stuff back on track soon, but it sure does suck.
#8January 27th, 2009 · 03:09 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: I lost my music tracks
WOW WHAT A MASSIVE SET BACK!!!!

THe Amp database (and we Ampers)will probably have lots of your music in mp3 format....so small mercies for uploading to this site......

of course all your data is lost but the beautiful memories survive!!!!

I've also had similar problems (not quite the same but still devastating)

maybe a thread about backing up and file organisation in the 'techy bit'

may be useful ........

I AM TRULY RUBBISH AT ORGANISING MY PROJECTS WITH LOADS OF FILES WANDERING AROUND WITHOUT A HOME ON MY HARD DRIVE........

So super sorry about your calamatous loss

Just wanted to share....hug

FISH ..... with a heart

#9January 27th, 2009 · 05:06 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Sorry to hear that Marino...Thats a tough blow to take man...I would die if that happened to me...I try to get all of my work copied to Cd's

Flyer
#10January 27th, 2009 · 11:25 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Tx guys you all are the best..Px love your support idea,it made me feel very good..Minds ,kings I might be callin on you if I get stuck but it seems Im almost back up..Few things missing but core stuff up and running...Swordy ,Denis,Goat,flyer,Kunadium thank you so much too....
love this place...Tx guys!!!
#11January 28th, 2009 · 03:53 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
we never enter the same river twice
So sorry to hear your plight Merino
Nothing can take away your muse & skill as a musician
We send lifting  spirit to you
Happy New Year OX  
Y
Love the Flag
#12January 28th, 2009 · 04:22 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I take it you haven't tried to recover your data from the HD?

I have two fixed HDs in the PC and two portable HD , 160 and 250 GB, I try to back every thing up every few months.
I dont want to tempt fate but my experience of HDs and Data is that they usually give some warning before they go completely, any other crash wont delete your data, your data is always on the HD.
I've lost all the partitions on a HD , that was sudden , but I still re-built the partitions with Partition Table Doctor and recovered the lost data with R-Studio.
All the other times I lost date, small and large amounts it was because of my own foolishness, deleting the wrong folders, formatting the wrong partition in fdisk, opening the wrong exe without scanning it, not heeding the warnings from an ageing HD.....etc
The warnings from an ageing HD are automatic scans on start up , "checking partition F: , hit any key to abort....." , and a very slow start up and general response time.

After having these problems and resolving them by replacing HDs and shuffling with Drive letters and alike it is a very good idea to take the battery out of your PC for 30 seconds and then let it do a fresh boot , ordering it's self properly and cleaning out any crap about drive letters and start up orders in the BIOS.
#13January 28th, 2009 · 04:39 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Well I havent read the whole thread up to here.
If you have another computer add the damaged harddrive as a second drive on that pc. Maybe you can get access to the old one. Then quickly copy your data on a DVD or a separate HD.

This BIOS idea by kings is a good way to eliminate a virus in this section.

uups I remember I wanted to make a scheduled backup of my data... Believe me I have also really good ideas sometimes to save my data of my computer. how and when... when? IDK! oh sh**
#14January 29th, 2009 · 06:45 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
HELP ON THE WAY!!
Hiya's and ltns baby....  
 well I'll skip right to the heart of the matter...  both of these
are free, and are the best!!!!   here are two urls.. 

http://www.free-av.com/antivirclassic/

and

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

the best arsenal to have!!!!  as long as you will use them daily as
they're supposed to be used.. (update as well!) 

Oh and something I learned many many years ago, but would
be hypocritical if I said I practiced it religiously as I actually should,
that is BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP... and when working on
something like word processing, spreadsheets or anything for that
matter, SAVE, SAVE, SAVE..  (a.k.a. ctrl s)

there bro...  I can testify to those together with a good firewall,
being the best protection one can get today!!

Blessings to you and the missus! pray you both well!!!!

Dan - Bluey
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 4:34 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.