1 2

#1December 26th, 2008 · 01:22 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
Cubase vs Audacity
i have a simple question.... which do you prefer cubase le or audacity... im going to use one of them in my studio but the mixer i originally wanted came with cubase le and now the mixer i think we are going to get thats 60$ cheaper dosnt come with cubase... should i make like a tampon and suck it up and get the one with cubase? or should i cop-out and get the cheaper one?
#2December 26th, 2008 · 02:27 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Cubase vs Audacity
No competion here ....

Cubase ....... for me ........ but.........le i dont use
im sure you can get a patch for your mixer ...... post what u want to use in this thread....
Im sure you will get help

Fish
#3December 26th, 2008 · 03:12 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
im going to use an alesis multimix 6fx usb
its a nice small compact usb mixer i can use for gigs and recording
#4December 27th, 2008 · 12:54 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
audacity hands down.
super easy to use.
cubase is recommended only for those who know how to use it REALLY well, and have basically a studio. for most people on here Audacity would be the way to go.

I use audacity and I get great mixes and great quality and its super easy and fast.
#5December 27th, 2008 · 08:52 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
if your just starting out.. audacity may be easier, but if you want to be able to do more.. like better sounding effects plug-ins ( better reverbs, delays, modulations, dynamics, eq's) then you will eventually want to move up to cubase, sonar, pro tools, reason.

Garageband or apple logic (if you have a mac).

Magix works good if you look around you can find free full versions of magix out there on the net( along with the others too).

Saying that I am not condoning anything illegal.
#6December 28th, 2008 · 02:02 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
cracks are your friend
#7December 30th, 2008 · 11:43 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
If you wanna be pro just recording direct audio use Pro Tool.
If you wanna work with audio but also with a powerful tool for editing MIDI instruments then use Cubase SX.
If you are starting recording and you are a new user of these kind of software, then use Audacity.
That's my best advice.

> Iszil
#8February 28th, 2009 · 11:05 PM
2 posts
United States of America
I've been right where you are. I use them only as an audio mix master (classical music); they're pretty much equals and each has advantages:

Audacity:
Free.
Extensive VST and AU libraries.
Easy, uncluttered interface.
Programmable hot keys (you can make Z for zoom, M for move, etc)
User-selectable scratch disk (improves performance)

Cubase LE:
Faster loading, faster interface
Drag and drop movement
Color coding and tagging
Direct link to Kontakt Player (good for me)

Audacity does an awful lot, more than you'd expect from its no-frills GUI. A few weeks ago, I was in a major NPR studio and noticed they use audacity day in, day out, and all day long for mixing all kinds of audio....they had it running on many workstations. (Glad to see they aren't wasting my pledge dollars on expensive software when there's something good, free!)
#9March 1st, 2009 · 03:32 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
there was a lot of things in audacity I liked , but for fine editing it was lacking, plus I like some of the extra features in cubasesx3 or nuendo.   I am not a fan of cubase le, the very features I need available do not come with cubase le.
#10March 1st, 2009 · 10:44 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Not a big Audacity guy..I do a lot of wave editing and automation,I found that for me is easiest in Cub...
#11March 2nd, 2009 · 06:45 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Cubase hands down for me... all recording, editing etc done using this tool.  I used Audicity for a short while when I was first looking at recording straight to PC - it was a pretty easy programme as far as I remember (plus it was free).
I also use Adobe Audition for my final cutting and splicing where needed for any backing tracks I'm making.
#12March 2nd, 2009 · 04:28 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: Cubase vs Audacity
DowntownSasquatch wrote…
i have a simple question.... which do you prefer cubase le or audacity... im going to use one of them in my studio but the mixer i originally wanted came with cubase le and now the mixer i think we are going to get thats 60$ cheaper dosnt come with cubase... should i make like a tampon and suck it up and get the one with cubase? or should i cop-out and get the cheaper one?
Yes.........or..No.....whichever, it's up to you, but I'd let quality of product decide, NOT the free programs you get with it.
You can get ANY PRO program (software) you want online. All called 'try before you buy'. How old are you? 14 or something...yes? No one expects you to have enough money for the big programs, but you have every right to try them out if they are offered so.

And to be honest with you I half think some big software companies pack their own 'older' versions of their programs and circulate them around the web for free. If you get into and enjoy Cubase the chances of you buying Cubase when you turn pro is very high.
#13March 2nd, 2009 · 04:46 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
re: re: Cubase vs Audacity
kings wrote…
DowntownSasquatch wrote…
Yes.........or..No.....whichever, it's up to you, but I'd let quality of product decide, NOT the free programs you get with it.
You can get ANY PRO program (software) you want online. All called 'try before you buy'. How old are you? 14 or something...yes? No one expects you to have enough money for the big programs, but you have every right to try them out if they are offered so.

And to be honest with you I half think some big software companies pack their own 'older' versions of their programs and circulate them around the web for free. If you get into and enjoy Cubase the chances of you buying Cubase when you turn pro is very high.

I agree, I work in cubase as much as any program I have. I am considering purchasing the full nuendo package with all vst plug ins. at some point. I too think that the companies want some of this out there. You work with a program for several years get used to it, come across the newer versions with extra shortcuts and ease of use,  it make you want to get that program.
#14March 4th, 2009 · 10:33 PM
2 posts
United States of America
But if money IS the object, then Audacity does pretty much everything Cubase LE does. But it's a bit slower, and the UI is definitely not as slick (or as facile). Functionally, they are identical. Graphically, Cubase wins hands down. Value for money? Audacity is unbeatable.
#15March 5th, 2009 · 02:09 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
blueshift wrote…
But if money IS the object, then Audacity does pretty much everything Cubase LE does. But it's a bit slower, and the UI is definitely not as slick (or as facile). Functionally, they are identical. Graphically, Cubase wins hands down. Value for money? Audacity is unbeatable.

I am not condoning anything or endorsing anything at all... but .. my nuendo and sx3 were without cost. it's out there somewhere....... all I'm saying.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 4:58 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.