1 2

#1December 29th, 2005 · 04:10 AM
1 threads
12 posts
United States of America
Looking for comments on web project
Bit of background... I was recently shopping for a used Godin, but was having a difficult time finding out the year it was made (I needed to know because prior to a certain year this particular model had sub-par pickups). Anyway, I had to go through a lot of hoops just to find out the year from the serial number. I wished there was a site where I could have just entered the serial number and then the site would tell me when the guitar was made. I never found such a site, so I decided I should make it!

I'm looking for a new set of eyes to look it over. I only have code for Godin and Martin guitars so far but I have plans to add many more (I almost have Gibson ready). I'm curious about usability, presentation, etc. Professionalism is a big one. I would be grateful for any comments. (Also, I'm not expecting anyone to but I hope nobody takes offense to me posting a link to "my site." Seems fine to me as I'm not soliciting anything and it is "the pit" , but I appologize if I'm wrong there. Some forums are big on that issue). Thanks a bunch.

http://www.guitardating.com

-Lenny
#2December 29th, 2005 · 06:53 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
no, I think this is a good place to post your request for assistance, because there are a number of guitar freaks here who may have and are willing to share the information you're looking for.

I only know that Fender has a service on their home site about serial numbers and corresponding year of build etc. I guess you are aware of that? You should atleast have a link to Fender on your site. http://www.fender.com/support/dating/

site's looking good. I'd certainly use it if it could date my Klira 12-string acoustic... or help me to get a date (no worries, I read the FAQ!)

so good luck with your project. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help..
#3December 29th, 2005 · 01:18 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Wow, very nice, very professional, laid out well and extremely easy to use. Also, I like the bit of comedy in FAQ, bc who wants to read a bunch of rules. It's simple and gets straight to the point. Nice idea, perfect website name, hope it works out with the rest of the models.
btw I own a Takamine, hint, hint. I'd use your website, too.
Taylor also has a date link http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/dating.html
#4December 29th, 2005 · 01:20 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Hey, if you're a business man, you might could get them to support your links.
#5December 29th, 2005 · 05:51 PM
1 threads
12 posts
United States of America
PuppetXeno wrote…
no, I think this is a good place to post your request for assistance, because there are a number of guitar freaks here who may have and are willing to share the information you're looking for.
That's what I figured
PuppetXeno wrote…
I only know that Fender has a service on their home site about serial numbers and corresponding year of build etc. I guess you are aware of that? You should atleast have a link to Fender on your site. http://www.fender.com/support/dating/
Yeah, japanese and mexican fenders are easy, I'll get to them soon, but American one's are tough. I'll get to it eventually though.
PuppetXeno wrote…
site's looking good. I'd certainly use it if it could date my Klira 12-string acoustic... or help me to get a date (no worries, I read the FAQ!)
Spent some time researching Klira. Seems they were manufactured by Framus, a German company. According to wikipedia Framus went bankrupt in 1975 which might help explain why I am finding it so hard to find info on serial numbers. framus.de is alive and well, so it seems the company had a rebirth. They have some very incomplete info on Framus serial numbers, but no word on Kliras or even a mention of the line anywhere on the site!. I'll look into it more.
CreativeControl wrote…
Wow, very nice, very professional, laid out well and extremely easy to use. Also, I like the bit of comedy in FAQ, bc who wants to read a bunch of rules. It's simple and gets straight to the point. Nice idea, perfect website name, hope it works out with the rest of the models. :)
Thanks for the nice words! I do think the "comedy" is good too. I figured it would help the name stick so people would remember it.
CreativeControl wrote…
btw I own a Takamine, hint, hint. I'd use your website, too.
Taylor also has a date link http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/dating.html
Check out the new Takamine code (just for you ). Do you have a taylor too? Their system isn't too complicated, I'll see about getting it implemented soon.
CreativeControl wrote…
What exactly do you mean?

Thank you so much for your comments! I really appreciate it. Any more?

-Lenny
#6December 30th, 2005 · 04:16 PM
37 threads / 25 songs
237 posts
United States of America
hi lenny.....here is an odd duck for ya !
drew's custom guitar..model country legend..serial#100334
1205 grant ave..norfolk nebraska
this is a well made guitar well playing as well.
ive had it over 20 years... bought it second hand off a broke
telemarketer in LA
bravo on your website!!
thanks
buzz
#7December 31st, 2005 · 12:47 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
like it ... nice idea well executed.

how did u get the "adds by google" on the right hand side?
#8December 31st, 2005 · 01:05 PM
1 threads
12 posts
United States of America
Thanks guys!
buzz wrote…
bought it second hand off a broke
telemarketer in LA
classic

Appreciate it guys. I'm glad there doesn't seem to be anything that bugs anyone!

-Lenny
#9December 31st, 2005 · 01:10 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I went on checking around, and found this site:

http://mediawebsource.com/guitar/serial.htm

As far as I can tell there may be links to interesting information for you to put on your site.

(then again maybe you already know that site?)

btw best wishes for the new year!
#10January 2nd, 2006 · 10:28 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
lenny wrote…
Check out the new Takamine code (just for you ).
Thanks! However, it said my Takamine was made August 33rd, 2010. Not sure how that works with the programming. But it makes me think you should add a section to help people find serial numbers

CreativeControl wrote…
lenny wrote…
What exactly do you mean?

I was saying you might could get Taylor, Takamine, etc. to support your website because you have links to their website. It's just a thought, I really have no idea how to market anything.
#11January 2nd, 2006 · 11:59 PM
1 threads
12 posts
United States of America
CreativeControl ~

So, apparently I have some bugs to work out

I don't have a museum of guitars to test, so I've been scavenging for serial numbers on ebay etc. Would you mind telling me what your serial number was? It would help me find out what I did wrong.

And thanks Puppet, I'll check it out.

-Lenny
#12January 3rd, 2006 · 12:07 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
10313352. It's a g series, the model # is eg-330sc. Acoustic-electric, too. Hope it helps and thanks, too for putting it in.
#13January 3rd, 2006 · 12:19 AM
1 threads
12 posts
United States of America
thanks creativecontrol

The data sheet I have would infact translate that into August 33rd, 2010. Strange. I'll see if I can find another source (possibly email Takamine).

Lesson? I need more real world numbers to test the programing.

Thanks a bunch!

-Lenny
#14January 3rd, 2006 · 01:17 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
I know there are plenty of guitarist round here who would probably be willing to give you some serial numbers, provided you have the code for their type. Anyway, glad to help.
#15January 6th, 2006 · 08:27 PM
1 threads
12 posts
United States of America
Ok this is the third time I've tried this. Thankfully last time I copied before I hit submit. I hope this works... I've been redirected to 2 different urls so far. I think that was thanks to firefox as it looked up google first. Maybe there's a bug in the html form submit url?

That was weird... I typed my reply and when I hit post I was redirected to a strange url.... ?

Anyway, here I go again. I solved the Takamine problem. Basically after some email with Takamine, the answer is that the "G" series (and only the G series supposedly) has a different serial scheme. More specifically as they said "The G seies guitars are made in different factories around the far east and each one has a different scheme." but there is a primary one that is used most often (supposedly) so I think I've figured out how I'll fix it. Anyway thanks for your help CreativeControl. Oh, and Takamine said your guitar was made in 2001 if you didn't know.

-Lenny
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 7:54 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.