1 2 3

#16November 18th, 2008 · 03:49 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Haha, I see Toasted Goat made it onto your list, Flyer

And Meow, it's been a while since I've seen you around here!  (I've been very tardy myself recently.)

I'll be honest, my liking of bands older than 10, 15 years is a bit limited.  It has nothing to do with their talent, I just stay a little more on the front lines of newer things.  I find certain groups very inspiring, but I've never been too much into what most people call the "classics".

Actually, it was the same when I took piano lessons; I didn't like learning music by Mozart or Bach, because *everybody* else knew how to play it.  It didn't mean that I thought any less of the music, I just wasn't very interested.

That being said, some of my inspiring favorites are a bit more modern in nature and/or style.  I mean to say nothing negative of the above bands, though, understand me well

Brand New
Utada Hikaru
Nobuo Uematsu
Jack's Mannequin
Coheed & Cambria
The Academy Is...
The Juliana Theory (I mourn their break up a few years back)
K.I.S.S. (it's a korean group, not the traditional KISS we think of in the european/north american sense.)
(the new) Dashboard Confessional (cd was excellent, I thought, "The Shade of Poison Trees")
Eisley
Ingrid Michaelson

And I'll stop there.  They're in no particular order, of course.
#17November 18th, 2008 · 05:11 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Ha, TLS - erm I've had to look up every single band you list.
God, I'm just so old!
LOL
#18November 18th, 2008 · 07:38 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I've heard of Coheed and Cambria. Only reason is because they were on the cover of a guitar center magazine a month or so ago.
Cant say I dont like them, but they were advertising/promoting all these boss pedals and to be honest I dont really like boss's sound that much. Too digital for my liking.
I admit some of boss's pedals are nice, but the majority I dont. Whats the poitn of spending near $100 on a chromatic tuner? Just cause its a pedal?
Psssshhhhh
#19November 18th, 2008 · 09:25 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
Pink Floyd (Echoes and Careful With That Axe are forever burned in my memory)
Paul Simon (Graceland album!)
Buffalo Springfield
Jeff Beck (Blow by Blow)
Duke Ellington
Andreas Vollenweider (Down to the Moon)

Not a very long list I suppose, and some of these bands aren't quite what you'd call "Classic," but this is the music that fascinated me growing up.
#20November 18th, 2008 · 10:06 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
man taka, you havent been on here for a long time! (at least i think so...) its great to hear from you again.

those pink floyd songs are among my favorites. awesome songs. (lol pink floyd is the only band ive heard of off your list. ill have to look the other guys up)
#21November 18th, 2008 · 11:03 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
TheKunadiun wrote…
(lol pink floyd is the only band ive heard of off your list. ill have to look the other guys up)

AAAKKKK!!!   Say it aint so! Say it aint so!!!!  How could you never have heard of PAUL SIMON???  DUKE ELLINGTON???  JEFF BECK??????  SERIOUSLY MAN??  YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THEM??  Cmon, your wankin my willy aren;t ya??! SERIOUSLY MAN???  wow...  Me thinks we have a cave dweller here...  Mummy and Daddy didn't let you out much did they deary?

JimK
#22November 18th, 2008 · 11:41 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
lol no i havent heard of them. im only 14 mind you. (ill be 15 in january)
I pretty much listened to lots of the music my parents listened to:
Pink Floyd
Rush
Dire Straits
The Eagles
stuff like that

but worry you not...im gonna look those guys up and give em a listen on www.listen.grooveshark.com

come to think of it i think ive heard of paul simon and jeff beck before....
AND AWAY I GO!
#23November 19th, 2008 · 12:01 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
oh...
ok...  You didn't tell me you were a yung-un...  dang... Dude...  TO be that age again... well, maybe not that young... but anyway.... sigh.....

Seriously though, you gotta listen some Duke Ellingon... dude...  that will inspire you... And Andreas Vollenweider will light you on fire...  Dude..

JimK
#24November 19th, 2008 · 11:17 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Sweet I'll look em up I cant wait to be inspired and then lit on fire. thats when I record the best....when im on fire...lol

HOLY AWESOMENESS!! IM LISTENING TO DUKE ELLINGON RIGHT NOW ITS AWESOME!
man i cant belive i havent heard of these people before
#25November 19th, 2008 · 01:24 PM
32 threads
158 posts
United States of America
wow hard to answer
favs would be

Lynard skynard
steve miller band
fleetwood mac
kansas
ACDC
black sabbath
blondie
nazareth
carol king
motorhead
Eagles
Pat Benatar

wow there is alot more too
#26November 20th, 2008 · 11:33 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Ah, I forgot..

Michael Bublé

My sole exemplary confession of an older set of music that I quite like.
#27January 20th, 2009 · 05:33 PM
42 posts
United States of America
the doors are amazing
the kinks
kiss
just a few too many to name
#28January 20th, 2009 · 05:39 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Favorite Classic Bands
Chicago ........

There are more but these guys got me into the 'trombone'

zzzzz
#29January 20th, 2009 · 10:00 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
yeah , I still like listening to Chicago, and  Super Tramp.   Hey Jim he is young, check this out, I was talking to my neighbors 13 year old about the Beatles, She had no clue , never heard of em.  She know who Hanna Montana was though , ahahahahahah
#30January 21st, 2009 · 01:49 AM
51 threads / 31 songs
114 posts
United States of America
Ellington
While the duke is great. I have to say that I find Charles Mingus (undoubtedly his most legitimate successor) to be much more interesting. And Sun Ra on top of that.

I guess we are just talking about influences instead of classics... I've tried to mention older stuff.

The Beach Boys (If the beatles and the stones are on classic rock stations the beach boys should be too... They're the same time and pet sounds is one of the greatest albums ever)
Sonic Youth
Daniel Johnston
The Raincoats
Half Japanese
The Residents
Stuff produced by Phil Spector (Listen to Be My Baby)
Faust
Can
Os Mutantes
Tom Ze
The Flaming Lips
Theolonious Monk
Television (Find Marquee Moon)
Captian Beefheart (Apparently he inspired blondie)
The Shaggs ("better than the beatles" said by one frank zappa)
Frank Zappa
Red Krayola/Mayo Thompson
Tiny Tim
Pavement/Stephen Malkmus
Yo La Tengo
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 9:21 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.