#1September 4th, 2008 · 06:49 PM
11 threads / 4 songs
27 posts
Turkey
[HOW?] 3D Stereo !
Hey people.

I was thinking about human anatomy. We have 2 ears.
Well, 2 ears are normally enough to "get" the 3d sound enviroment. They use dolby, but we still get it in stereo...

Then there has to be some way of creating the real 3D sound using some kind of system, just by using stereo headphones.

Then something weird happened. I found a voice clip called "virtual haircut" (you can find it anywhere in google).

As you can see there, it IS possible to create the 3D sound enviroment, (well yeah, that like a big "whoah !" for me)

So, here is the question:
How can I achieve such results in my mono-converted recordings ?
I want to place each individual recording in a song, to different locations in a 3d space so that the listener can get the feeling of a real 3d concert (or whatever it is).

Well.. I thought someone discovered this, before me. So, waiting for a reply..

Stay with the light, everyone !
~inf.
#2September 4th, 2008 · 11:40 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
That's not easy to do but kinda easy to explain.
Here it goes:
You feel it like 3D -being actually only a stereo sound - cause when we hear sounds it's not only what passes through our ears but also what is cought by our bones, head, brain, mouth, etc. so what they do is to place those microphones in the ear-place of a molded head, imitating a real one, so the microphones will catch - making an example as there's a whistle sound over your head - the sound waves that cross your hair, skulls and brain until it gets to your ear, so the mic catches the real frequencies you will get (counting the "lost freqs" lost in the proses of passing through your body). So, if can make sure of creating a a good replica of a human head and you place proper microphones with the real human ear catching specter, I think you can properly make it, though I don't think it will be easy, cause actually this is done by scientists.
Anyway, this is what I understood for this proses, but may be I know it wrong, or whatever, so if anyone knows exactly how it's done/how to do it I'd be glad to be corrected.

> Iszil
#3September 5th, 2008 · 06:00 AM
11 threads / 4 songs
27 posts
Turkey
Ah, if that is solved, it must b easy to do it with a program or something.

Well, what I mean is, if it really is solved (and we can listen it so it is !) I thought someone might have converted it to some kind of VST.

As I know, the recording I sent you is recoded in a special place, but there are completely computer generated versions too (which you can feel the positions of digtal buzz'es or synths)..
#4September 5th, 2008 · 12:55 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
When you have a 3D simulator (actually, my computer sound system has on) I believe what it does is to boost or cut the frequencies that are lost or boosted when they come for a certain place in a physical location related to your own position. I.e., if a sound comes from your back, I guess high frequencies could be lost cause the ear is not focused to that place.
But,I repeat, it's my theory (though it sounds pretty logical for me).

> Iszil
#5September 5th, 2008 · 01:45 PM
10 threads / 10 songs
30 posts
Lithuania
Basically it would be hard to simulate such sound, because the trick is distance between your ears, and it is different for each person. Also human ear shapes sound, so digitally it is possible to place the sound in 3d space, but the results will never satisfy because of its unnatural feeling.
This is called binaural recording, the Pearl Jam has an album recorded in such technology. The best way to record is to use binaural head like that http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/12/binauralmic.jpg or to put microphones in your ears.
#6September 5th, 2008 · 05:23 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
#7September 5th, 2008 · 05:50 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: re: [HOW?] 3D Stereo !
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 2:16 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.