1 2

#1October 20th, 2007 · 02:59 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
what came first the music or the lyrics?
when writting a song is it better to start with te lyrics and then the music or the music then the lyrics or a combination of the two something like start with a melody then add lyrics then add to the melody???? HELP! idk i guess its different for everyone but like i said what comes first cause i can write lyrics but then cant make music for it and i have a whole song of music but no words??? HELP!!!
#2October 20th, 2007 · 03:40 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
The egg???

Jk

Its all a matter of individual taste,style and inspiration.Theres no one formula to write,you might prefer a way of doing it but that falls into an individual thing as you mentioned.Keep trying it should work out eventually.A good exercise is to hum a melody and then replace the humming melody with words.
Cheers
Marino.
#3October 20th, 2007 · 04:19 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
i've done both before, but I think my better songs have come about because i came up with a great melody first, then i could imagine up the music, and then finally i could write the music and develope it more as i got comfortable with it.  not very often do i write the music first.

but again, like marino said, it's a matter of individual taste, style and inspiration
#4October 20th, 2007 · 04:37 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
grrr more work lol
#5October 21st, 2007 · 12:36 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
sorry-- i realized that i said nothing of lyrics.  Usually, I come up with that melody first, and then the words just sort of come to me, line at a time.  I have to sit there and then make up more melody to get more lyrics, to get more of a complete story for the song.  THEN, the rest of my previous post applies.
#6October 21st, 2007 · 01:54 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
write both... if you have good lyrics running around in your head  get em down on paper or in the computer or a mp3 recorder or whatever just get em down.. also if you paying around on your guitar or instrument of choice and you come up with a cool riff or idea .. record it or at least write it down so you can remember it to work on it later. eventually you will get enough ideas going around that you can start putting things together..

also try to get an idea of a song or part of a song in your head and concentrate on developing the idea in you head... like hearing the bass guitar playing and the drums and guitars and vocal lines all going ..  it takes a bit to get  to this point sometimes but the more you do it the easier it gets.

I personally try to get the vocal melody in my head, and get the music down to support that.  I also try to come up with some kind of story, or idea for the lyrics.. I think more in terms of funny, or sad , or a statement of some kind, or loveydovey  stuff, or whatever .. could be about anything fishing  or whatever.  then while trying to write the story I will work on the actual words trying to make em fit.  a song writers rhyming dictionary/ thesaurus is very valuable for this.   

there is no perfect way to do this just whatever works for you.
#7October 21st, 2007 · 11:09 AM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
EXZACTLY!!!! all week i have had this one riff in my head for a song i just changed it all up and made a chorus/intro wrote words that seemed fitting and here I am  I finally Have written my first song from start to finish I think im gonna call it Half Past Sane i'll record it tonight or tomorrow expect to see it in a day or 2
#8October 21st, 2007 · 12:33 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
cool! anxious to hear! I'll rate it for you and post a review once I can!
#9October 21st, 2007 · 06:18 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Well it's got an excellent title to start with at least!
Hows your Pitch Perfect coming along ?
#10October 21st, 2007 · 06:19 PM
9 posts
Canada
through my experience,

there is no real way to write a song. although it is better for me if ihave a concept of how i want the song to go. eg. verses, chorus, bridge (if any), ending, opening and pre-chorus (if any).

when you have a melody it's easier to write the lyrics to it because you'll have the melody in your head. eg. fitting the line the the measure.
#11October 21st, 2007 · 08:02 PM
14 threads / 9 songs
90 posts
United States of America
Personally, I find writing the music first a lot easier, but it's all personal preference. I agree with rockstar in that it's easier to write lyrics to a melody because you've heard the melody and know how it will fit together. Toastedgoat made a good point there, to take all the ideas you have and eventually you can develop them further.
It does vary by person, but after a while you'll find out what order is best for you.
#12October 21st, 2007 · 09:43 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
alright im gonna jump the gun lol
im gonna post my recording even though my guitarist said no
im gonna add bass and he'll be playing guitar
but im gonna put it on this other website
or sumtin cause im gonna put the better version on
here to be rated!!!!! lol anyway i still have to record
so i'll post l8r tonight!!!
#13October 23rd, 2007 · 01:35 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
basically you ask "how do I start to write a good song?" and I can't add to what's been said. personally I usually start with a set of incomplete and often hastily put together lyrics, to let it inspire me to atleast some music, then work on the music and record it (changing lots and lots of things from the original concept in the process), and then try to fit and re-writing the original draft lyrics I had to the music. Not uncommon to end up with a different set of lyrics altogether, that look nothing like the original concept. which is no problem coz i get to re-use that original set and start with a new song....

but, I'm sure everyone has their individual approach at things...
#14October 23rd, 2007 · 08:54 AM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
lol guys i got screwed up the songs gonna be post poned a little because i've got to go to the beach this weekend and my guitarist was supposed to come over and record then but idk!!!! it'll be like 2 weeks maybe i'll teach him how to record and then i'll mix it..... maybe lol i still may jump the gun tommorow but i have our last championship game tonight (football) and im swamper with pep rallys and partys lol!!!!!! anyway wish me luck guys!!
#15October 23rd, 2007 · 12:32 PM
9 posts
Canada
WHERE'S THE DEDICATION!!!!lol

going to the beach...bring yer guitar and record there.

and the babes love a guy with a guitar and sand in their crack.lol
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 3:26 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.