#1November 26th, 2005 · 12:35 AM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
Thank Goodness For...John Mayer?
Really? Having seen him play on Austin City Limits with Buddy Guy, I thought to myself, "Okay, this guy can play, but his music is still pop garbage." It seems he feels the same way now (about his previous hits), and has dedicated himself to playing the blues. So my question to the BandAmp community... is John Mayer our* saviour? Will bringing blues back into the mainstream be a good thing?

for some info, check out this link:
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=207807&GT1=7418

*by our I mean musicians that love blues or jazz
#2November 28th, 2005 · 04:47 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
frankly, if he'd been playing straight-ahead blues from day one, no one would have bought his CDs, no one would have heard of him and no one would like the blues anymore than they do now.  if he'd started out as a stevie ray wannabe, he'd be a complete nobody and his music would be utterly irrelevant.

i always think that to label people's music is entirely unfair.  when he started out he was playing music that he liked and now he's still playing music that he likes ... its just a bit different.  its not a deliberate plan to revive the blues.  (I've heard him interviewed on this exact topic).

and plus, anyone who cant hear the blues influence in his early stuff needs to check their ears.
#3November 28th, 2005 · 01:01 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Interesting article...I personally have qualms when people talk about "the stuff I used to do is sooo old". Yeah, I used to listen to New Kids On The Block. So what if he doesn't like his old records, he shouldn't down himself or think that he's grown out of it so much, that's like talking bad about your grandma, right?
Anyway, I like John Mayer's old stuff, he deserved his Grammy for Daughters bc it's a good song, it was well written well played. I'm offended that he would be so easy to shake off everything that has made him who he is.
At any rate, I'll keep listening to his stuff bc I like it and maybe his new stuff will be even greater...I'm a huge blues fan. If he can bring out more songs that are as timeless as Eric Clapton...well...enough said.
#4November 29th, 2005 · 07:00 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
I must confess that article did anoy me somewhat.  You can't just turn your back on your entire career and slam all the songs that everyone loves so much.  It almost sounds a little arogant.

I saw Donny Osmond interviewed a while back and he mentioned that he did a gig where he sang Puppy Love a bit silly - kinda taking the mick out of it.  Then afterwards he met a fan who had a go at him for it saying "it might just be a song for you, but thats my memories your screwing around with" (or words to that effect!).  its a shame.  I really hope John doesnt go down that road.  I still rate Room For Squares as my favourite CD in my collection (and i can playing most of it ... !).
#5December 6th, 2005 · 10:10 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Well said Dave.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 4:54 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.