1 2

#1June 7th, 2008 · 04:47 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Radio through Amp?
I was playing my guitar through my amp,and I had no problem.

I went to get a snack,came back and I turned it back on and I'm getting a Christian radio station.

I have no clue what to do!
#2June 7th, 2008 · 11:40 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
wooo a message maybe, go with it I say .....start ure own podcast christian station ...                  
#3June 8th, 2008 · 12:52 AM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
hahahaha about about not? :P

It finally stopped. But I have no clue how...
#4June 8th, 2008 · 04:51 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Ghost in the Machine ?
#5June 8th, 2008 · 07:13 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
the cat did it

#6June 8th, 2008 · 01:04 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
okay, this borders on geekiness, (and, of course, no-one asked for this) but this is the way I understand it:

It's very easy to make a radio receiver. All you need is an antenna, something that conducts better in one direction than the other, and something that only passes certain frequencies to act as a filter.

One of the first things they teach people in electrical engineering school is that just about every circuit you design will have all of these components. Therefore, nearly every circuit you ever make can be a radio receiver. The wires and circuit board traces act as the antenna. Any semiconductor, whether it is used for the amplifier or as part of the power supply rectification circuit, conducts better in one direction than the other. And, all circuits have natural resonances which act as filters.

Amplifiers can be particularly notorious for unwanted radio reception, because all it takes is a tiny amount of radio noise getting into the signal, and the amplifier then amplifies that noise into something that you can easily hear.

Guitar amps, computer speakers, televisions, CD players, and all sorts of devices end up picking up radio signals. People who leave their cell phones next to a TV often say the TV will chirp before the phone rings. It's because the TV's sound amplifier circuit is acting as a radio receiver for the cell phone's digital signals.

Now, are you sorry you brought it up? Apologies.....couldn't help it...
#7June 8th, 2008 · 04:39 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Radio through Amp?
GHOST IN THE MACHINE ...........read it

fish
#8June 8th, 2008 · 05:44 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
I even couldnt explain better than battlecat.
It's so easy... maybe you had a bad connection in your cable so that the signal wasnt grounded.
On the other hand some preamps or fx gear between your guitar and the amp or the builtin fuzz (working with an preamp circuit) can cause this phenomenon
Your pickups in the guitar are functioning as an antenna, if you are heading it to the right direction ....

So in all of this cases check your cables, or use other ones

Are you sure it came out of your guitar amp? 
Or is it a rest of your last alien kidnapping? 

Sorry tried to be funny, guess you know who've said that :D:
#9June 8th, 2008 · 09:38 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I have had this happen to me plenty of times, even at gigs..  mostly with my older gear.   make sure your cable is a shielded cable with good ends.. and your guitar has been properly shielded and grounded(this helps a lot).

other than that move your amp around some to different locations and angles 

At one of my practice places my amp would play a heavy metal station , so on break I would just leave the amp on and listen  to it.
#10June 9th, 2008 · 12:22 AM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
The cable guy came and I talked to him about it and he said that the people who layed down the cables did a shotty job with it so all our wires are crossed and so on.

Even mentioned some stuff that bc said.

But it hasn't done it since.

TK: Always knew it was them. Never doubted it in my mind :P
#11June 9th, 2008 · 02:34 AM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
Yeah happens to me a few times, especially when I'm using old long leads. It will most commonly occur because of the lead, which is acting like an antenna. The longer the lead, the greater area the 'antenna' covers and therefore the better chance of picking up radio signals, or if you have already picked up - the better reception you will get. Only once or twice I can remember that my actually amp (with no leads plugged in) has picked up the radio... It's a 300W bass amp and tube bass preamp combo which is an easy 15 years old - hence has a large surface area and is old [the magnetic shielding is worn out (if there was any in the first place)]. Any other physical phenomenon's people want to share? I got an engineering exam in about a week and relating it to music sure makes it more fun way to revise.
#12June 9th, 2008 · 02:35 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Well it could be worse meow. For the heck of it I connected my good ole 15W practice amp and started to bust some riffs... and nearly electrocuted myself. I still havent figured out exactly how that happens but its not shortening out or so... Since its not causing a street wide power failure (not even killing the group Im on) but there's definately somewhat of a current flowing through those strings.. and touching them does not feel very pleasant... And it does produce noise aswell. After opening it up I couldn't find the problem, but that didn't solve it either...
#13June 9th, 2008 · 02:50 PM
44 threads / 6 songs
305 posts
United States of America
Same thing happened to me. Radio through amp. I was very baffled. But hey, that's what you get when you combine not-well-shielded powered electronics with lots of electromagnetic radiation everywhere.
#14June 9th, 2008 · 05:12 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Yikes
Puppetxeno  yikes..  sounds like something is out of wack.  to much current running out to the guitar or a grounding problem allowing to much current into the guitar......

I had this happen one time and was very lucky not to have been electrocuted .... Played at a  outdoor festival ,
the electricians had just finished up the power supply (brought it in from the pole to a breakerbox). They had put several outlets up and around the stage.  I plugged my guitar amp in and went to plug the guitar into the 1/4" input and "ZAP"  melted the end off of the guitar cable... got to checking what was wrong.... the so called electricians had wired 220 hot to the ground side of the outlet plug... so the chasis of my amp was holding 220 while the hot circuit was ground.   1  the outlet was supposed to be 110.  2 never wire the hot to the ground. ..basic electronics 101..   I was lucky that day.
#15June 10th, 2008 · 01:38 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Yeah that would be bad, tg.. Worst thing that happened to me when I was still in school, rehearsing with the school band was plugging a guitar in an old amp in the music room, but it didn't produce any sound.. So I thought that maybe the power cable wasn't properly connected, and I wiggled it to see if I could get the red power led to light up. At that point bright blue lightning fizzled between my hand and the place where the power cable entered the guitar amp and all the lights in the east section of the building died.

I came out only a bit shakey, and atleast it gave me a nice hairdo! I'm glad I'm still here! I never touched that amp again....
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 3:01 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.