#1March 27th, 2008 · 01:12 PM
19 threads / 13 songs
41 posts
Canada
Recording Overdriven/Distortion Guitars
Hey all,
I need some help with recording overdriven/distortion guitar parts.
Firstly, I like metal tones, and I record through a line6 toneport. Now what I do is, Put the drive to around 7/10, I like more mids, so mids are set to somewhere around 8/10, bass to 7/10, treble and presence to 7.5/10. and put it through an ibanez tubescreamer effect. Now, when I record it, i'm not satisfied, I try to layer it, with some other amp modules, and cabinets, and then it all starts cracking up and what not. I've tried panning different overdriven tracks left and right, Now, I have heard about multiband compressors on distortion guitars, but they've nver really done the trick for me. Can somebody tell me the right technique to record an OD guitar. I know and understand that each song requires different kinds of patches and settings, but if you all tell me the way you do it, I might be able to learn a few things, also, if anybody could give me some tips on how to go about it, then I would implement them asap. THANKS!
#2March 28th, 2008 · 11:09 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I don't know what an Ibanez tubescreamer effect is, it on the line6 toneport?

I have a line6 pod mk2. When I first got it, I just used it as a DI, went straight into my workstation, sounds great and recently also put it through my tube preamp, which also had great results.

Your EQ  and drive settings seem very high,  the more drive and distortion you set, normally requires a cut in bass, I would try lowering them and add a standard compressor, my line6 has this built in, but you may need to add some compression I assume?, which needs to be added pre record, if you dont have one then record your guitar at low recording level, then add the compression after, the second option won't give you the full dynamics of the guitar, but it won't crack.

The best way is to use your ears and experiment, I would try lowering your eq settings first, then drive.

I hope it works for you

Denis
#3March 28th, 2008 · 03:38 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
recording OD
Dude...  I agree with Denis, your settings are way wrong dude...  Turn that down some...  It doesn't always have to be up to be right... and when recording it's going to be hard, unless your using a mic, to get the sound your hearing.. Turn that down, and experiment with other settings, until you get a result that is desired by you.. I have always either, plugged my amp into my line input on my soundcard, or mic'ed it.. And it works with decent success, I don't use any kind of interface box.. I just got a MXL 990 USB Condensor mic, that is fantastic, but have yet to try recording anything other than acoustic instruments and vocals with it...  But if you check out my song Surface http://jkoontz.com/ElectricGuitarMusic.html  And Bandamp Freaks, both were recorded using Audacity, and the line input on my computer stock sound card... Also on that page is Frogmorton Duff, which I did using JimAC's Lyrics, For that one, I mic'ed my amp... Using a $4 web mic... Same goes for Time Flies..

Hope that helps.....

JimK
#4March 29th, 2008 · 12:28 AM
19 threads / 13 songs
41 posts
Canada
Thanks
Well denis, I've tried your trick, and it pretty much works, though the drive thing is lacking a bit, but yeah, maybe I'm used to high-gain tones, well i'm experimenting, and trying out things with that. Also I've seen that, when I record using my line6 interface, there is a loss in quality, though its minimal, but ive seen its still there.

JIM! Mic'ing the amp, that is like a totally different language for me. I dont have good amps man, I use some random condenser microphone, its great for recording vocals, and acoustics. Never tried mic'ing my amp while recording. (though I mic my amps when I'm playing live with the band). I run my guitars through a line6 toneport (USB interface). you must have heard of it.

Also I have some questions on mastering,
I can mix properly, but I seem to lack that "PUNCH" in my songs.
What are the basic things that are added to a track while mastering? for eg. compressors? eq's? The genre that I mix is rock/alternative. (I feel like such a nooob)
#5March 29th, 2008 · 02:10 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
re: Thanks
painkiller001 wrote…
Well denis, I've tried your trick, and it pretty much works, though the drive thing is lacking a bit, but yeah, maybe I'm used to high-gain tones, well i'm experimenting, and trying out things with that. Also I've seen that, when I record using my line6 interface, there is a loss in quality, though its minimal, but ive seen its still there.

JIM! Mic'ing the amp, that is like a totally different language for me. I dont have good amps man, I use some random condenser microphone, its great for recording vocals, and acoustics. Never tried mic'ing my amp while recording. (though I mic my amps when I'm playing live with the band). I run my guitars through a line6 toneport (USB interface). you must have heard of it.

What are the basic things that are added to a track while mastering? for eg. compressors? eq's? The genre that I mix is rock/alternative. (I feel like such a nooob)

Dood,

Micing for recording is not much different than micing for playing live...  Though you'll want to experiment with settings and placement to get the sound you want..  As for mastering, well, I am far from a mastering pro but You will want some compression, though many overdo it... and some delay to help fill it out, and give it that extra pucnh you are talking aobut... Again, many overdo it with this as well...  I usually throw a small touch of reverb on the guitars, and a touch(and I mean smidge) of stereo delay on the vox...This makes it fill out, without going overboard... Then if I am wanting to do overdo it, then I use some serious stereo seperation with massive delay, and some reverb and echo, just to really make it raunchy...

Hope that helps..
#6March 29th, 2008 · 06:14 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Thanks
painkiller001 wrote…

Why dont you simply upload your music here on the AMP[I assume the songs you have uploaded are produced by other means], don't feel like a nooob, as you put it, we all have to start somewhere, we'll listen and help you improve.  It's impossible to help you without a) knowing what software Etc you are using, and b) hearing your music..or you can email it to me denis.ahmet@gmail.com.

BTW be careful with compression, it's a law within it's self and there are general settings for every instrument and even styles of music. But your best tutor is your ears, so use them well, but at the same time it's best to get a general census of opinion, then your on your way to creating some decent recordings.

There are some very good web sites now on home recording techniques, why not google it and see for yourself.

Denis
#7April 3rd, 2008 · 11:19 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
line 6 recordings
I have used the line six tone port.  You can get a decent recording but it takes a little experimenting. The guitar you play through, pick ups, strings size , playing style, song styles and general playing feel, effect the settings you would want to use on the tone port.   For heavy guitar tones I like the tread plate (rectified sounds)  I rarely turn the drive up past 5 ,   the tone controls are usually around 12:00 position.( I don't have one in front of me so I don't know the numbers , but straight up around 12 o'clock  ...then adjust as needed).  the output volume is set to the input of the recording device... setting it so I do not clip the input of the recorder (mine is computer hard disk)... Your recording software if using recording software should tell you how to set the input levels and check them while playing. It is very important not to clip (overdrive) the signal levels at the rest of the stages in digital.

True  Mastering is a highly specialized art.. takes great ears and knowledge.   The equipment used is varied  ,, compressors, eq's. sometimes effects of some sort, some use outboard gear that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and others used specialized software.  

From a pro studio that does excellent mastering:

Neve Mastering Rig
Mastering in Kansas City just took a big step into the international arena!. Chapman Recording is proud to announce the addition of the new NEVE / Legendary Audio "Masterpiece" mastering system. This equipment sounds so good that just running audio through it is an improvement. The system even includes a multi track tape head simulator with the classic Neve EQ curve. Add to this 30 years of experience with Chuck Chapman and Robert Rebeck and mastering will never be the same in Kansas City. Call us now to arrange your next mastering session.

Mastering originally was the process of getting  the recordings to sound similar in nature ,, in order , correct spacing (silence) , and the actual process of making the master disk (vinyl) for reproduction (pressing) of copies. It has changes some thru the years , so that  now if you know what "Redbook "  cd is  and how to make it you could master your own disk.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 3:23 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.