#1March 9th, 2008 · 07:01 PM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
DRUM RECORDING TECH
What does one need to record a drum set with each drum being recorded separately, just the way you would do it in a studio. I have a drum set and 8 mics to mic it all up, but I need an audio interface that will allow me to record the drum set the way I want to, i.e. with 8 simultanious tracks, one for each mics.

Any suggestions as to a possible  setup that wouldnt be very expensive? What do you normally use to record drums?
#2March 10th, 2008 · 02:49 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
there are a lot of sites that show you how to mic drums, couple of things to remember, if any of the mics are not facing in the same general direction you will need to use the phase/polarity switch on whatever mic is reversed (like mic'n the bottom of the snare drum)..  I like the motu stuff but appogee, pro tools, stuff is probably a little better (more money though).

You didn't state a price range ... we use  2 motu 896's  to record our band.  their is also the motu light and the 2408's ( i use those at home).  I think there are a bunch of ones out there. just have to look around.  Mic'n drums is something that takes a little work. you might have to dampen some heads down or take the bottom heads off . Remove any squeaks and rattles,  good over head mic's (usually condensers)  will really make your drums sounds come alive.

The 896's have their own preamp built in (1/4" and mic inputs) the pre's are bypassable, and the inputs have pro level and consumer level switching.  There is a mod for these for about 275 that makes them as good as the $4000.00 interfaces.(chip upgrades in the analog section give more headroom and top end clarity).

I don't know that much  about  other interfaces cause I have always used Motu stuff.
#3March 11th, 2008 · 08:44 PM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
Thank you, goat!

motu seems to be great but it is out of my price range right now.
I have read all the info on it now, and i am greatful or that suggestion!

You see, at fisrt I thought that it couold be possible to record the drums with a usb mixer, such as Yamaha MG166CX-USB but then i found that you can record only one track from it via usb.

What drum mic set do you use, by the way?
I was thinking of getting the CAD set:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-PRO7-7Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=270749
but i aheb no idea as to what it sounds like. Any idea on the drum mic set?
#4March 14th, 2008 · 09:31 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
We went with the audix mics, I think it is the fusion 7 with extra kick mic and we have 2 upgraded overhead condensers.   I am not 100% that this is what we are using , but I am about 88.333333333 %  sure.

I think we are using a sm 57 on the snare though.

from what they told me these mics are eq's specifically for drums.

I think you can find some used motu 2408's with sound cards for around 100.00 or less.
#5March 19th, 2008 · 08:41 AM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
toastedgoat wrote…
from what they told me these mics are eq's specifically for drums.

Ok, I know my questions may sound silly, but I honestly don't know much about recording drums the way you do and I hope you can share you knowlegde further, please - my question is : how is it all hooked up?

Do you run the MOTU interface out via its firewire out to you computer and record the track onto the computer's hard disc??

Is each mic hooked up separately to an equalizer and only then goes into the MOtu interface? If so, what equalizers do you use? I realise most of them are only dual channel machines so you must have four of these to run each mic through?

Do you use compressors? Or do you compress the tracks in a software after they have been recorded?

Thanks, Goat!

I was thinking of getting Korg D3200 32-Track Digital Recording Studio to use as a mixing console for a home studio. Don't know if this is a good or a bad idea but I think this would record the drums just as well as the Motu, wouldn't it?
#6March 21st, 2008 · 07:15 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
hmm  ok  we run our mics into a drum snake, that goes into a  mixing console. Some eq'n is done at the channel strips of the mixer .. compressors for the kicks, snare, toms are plugged into the inserts (input loop of the channels). The output of the channels are then sent into the  audio interfaces  inputs which go fire wire into the computer recording software that records it on the hard drive. 

If further eq or effects is required it is done inside the box (computer) we use the computers recording software to add effects and pans and automated mixes.   I can draw up a diagram that shows how it is wired up. if you want.   hope this helps .
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 11:53 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.