#1January 5th, 2008 · 10:57 PM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Monitoring Speakers
I'm new to home recording and my budget is pretty limited....

I'm recording with Cakewalk and am using Power Studio 250.  I am quite sick of hearing a good mix through headphones straight from the computer and then switching a CD copy of my song into my home stereo and car stereo and hearing it not sound as good.  I understand why this is (speaker size, straight-into-ear and open room, etc.).  I need a suggestion for a fairly good monitoring speaker that'll be useful with my computer.  I don't need something loud, just something inexpensive and a good representation of how my song will sound on a car stereo or home stereo.
#2January 6th, 2008 · 02:48 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
suggestions.. go shopping  listen to the ones that are out there and then get the ones you want.

there are way to many monitors out there that all have there own unique sound or thing going on.

Almost of these monitors are about the same, but just like home speakers none of them sound the same.

I really like the JBL 4208's and the JBL 6208's, you would probably have to find these used somewhere.

Genolic are usually pretty good too.

The self eq'n Jbls are really nice but a little pricey.

Tannoy has some ok  stuff

I would suggest going to a guitar center, or other music store, or recording sales place, that would let you check em out ...doesn't mean anything though, cause when you get em home they will sound completely different do to room response.
#3January 6th, 2008 · 09:52 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
I was trying to get some ideas to hone my shopping experience.  Thanks for the suggestions.
#4January 6th, 2008 · 04:09 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Any price range you are looking for?  I can help you out if you narrow it down somewhat.

Another thing is, studio monitors are specifically not going to sound like any other stereos.  Monitors are meant to produce "flat" sound (make it sound how it was recorded).  The degree to how this will happen will depend on the quality of your monitors, but it's so that you get a good base mix.
#5January 7th, 2008 · 02:59 PM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Are you saying that even if I get a decent monitoring spekaer that I'll have to check my recording on my home stereo and car stereo anyways to discern if it sounds right?
#6January 7th, 2008 · 10:58 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
yes ... monitors are set up to try to give you a somewhat flat response... that means that one frequency is not overriding other frequencies..  usually in a non treated room you get high end (treble)  and bass bouncing around and you will mix to what you hear so  then you take it out into another room or a car and wonder why you can't hear the bass and the kick drum (lows) and wny the cymbals and highs sound dull...

solution  get speakers that don't over produce certain frequencies, and has what we call  a flat response.... 
usually the more expensive monitors youbuy t the better flat  response .. but not always   there  are little gems in the monitor world that work great and don't cost much money.

also your room        there is a PHD worth of information about sound and how it reacts in a room ect.. but mainly know this  your mix room to get decent recordings should be somewhat treated (must of us on here probably don't have this though)  you can go on the internet and read forever about proper room treatment ect.. it all depends on how serious you wanna get. 

Now that I have gone on a major off topic diatribe ,   you still want to get some decent monitors they will help you mix your music  better than stereo speakers ..  I suggest powered ones these days cause they are pretty cheap, less cables and you don't have to have a power amp taking up precious rack space.
#7January 8th, 2008 · 03:29 AM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
I definitely need one of those 
#8January 8th, 2008 · 09:36 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
precious rack space.

I want a rack.

Actually, what gems do you know of in the monitor market?  There are a few I've read about but first-hand knowledge from someone I know is far better than some crap I read off the internet.
#9January 8th, 2008 · 03:50 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
KRK  monitors , Wharfdales, both brands have some low cost monitors that are very good for the price.

in both the active and passive.

I happen to like the JBL  I use a pair of 4208's  passives and I really like the 6208's.
at our band studio we use these  JBL LSR4328P

genolic makes some great monitors (also kinda pricey).

the KRK VXT 4 or KRK VXT8 and the Rockit powered stuff work well for the low price that you pay.

i haven't heard the krk's just heard that they are pretty good for the low budget stuff also I almost forgot
one of the guys at guitar center in  Independence  does some jazz recordings  and hip hop music  with his
home recording studio and his stuff sounds real good. he uses these
Mackie HR624MK2 Active Monitor
#10January 8th, 2008 · 04:53 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Ive heard great things about the Mackie 624s and 824s.  I really like my Yamaha HS50Ms but you really need the sub that goes with them.  Ive also heard good things about the KRKs as far as quality vs cost.  Genelics are some of the best that ive heard.
#11January 12th, 2008 · 07:00 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Edirol MA150 work good for me.. good sound clean and bassy and cheap
#12January 14th, 2008 · 07:58 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
I'm assuming you mean the Edirol MA-15D... not 0?  I looked them up on the net... 179.00 a pair.  That's a price range that fits me.  Can you give me some more personal feedback with your experience with them?  Do you have any songs posted, in which you used these speakers to mixdown a sound with?
#13January 14th, 2008 · 08:18 PM
9 threads / 8 songs
207 posts
United Kingdom
I may be shot down for even suggesting such a budget setup (and accoustically this may be almost criminal, but it works well for me) is to use two different brands of speakers if you happen to have them already lying around.  I have a makeshift surround setup in my room, where i have one stereo unit on my desk area, and one in the back of the room, both from different brands.  They each have their own strenghts and weaknesses (for example one of them gives me way too much bass), but when both are turned on they seem to cover most everything pretty well.  Nightmare getting the levels but hey, adds 'character' to the system.

Im a uni student though, and cant afford anything that may set my beer budget back more than a couple days so this is how i get by.

Kobeshi
#14January 14th, 2008 · 08:50 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Kobeshi wrote…
Im a uni student though, and cant afford anything that may set my beer budget back more than a couple days so this is how i get by.

Kobeshi

Amen to that..  I have used three way car stereo speakers before because I did not have anything else. some of the mixes on those are as good as some of the ones I do now.. 

Learn how to get a great mix on what you have and or lesser gear, and learn what makes a mix great.  Then you can always upgrade later if you ever feel like you want to.. 

Almost all my gear is used and old. I look for decent stuff for cheap. Cause I too used to not want to hurt my beer budget.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 1:08 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.