#1June 10th, 2007 · 09:33 AM
12 threads / 7 songs
45 posts
United Kingdom
Panning drums
I was just wondering what people do, about panning drums.

Overall Panning
In most songs, the whole drum-kit (if it was all put into a stereo-file) is panned, so that you hear it, as though you were looking at the drummer in stage (i.e. Hi-hat in your right ear). However, i prefer to record them the right way round, as though i was sitting at the kit. This way, it's easier for me to air-drum along to the track!

Individual Panning
I like to have my drums panned symetrically. So - because i only use one rack-tom - I pan this equally, on opposite sides, with the floor tom. I do the same with my two crashes. I have the snare and bass-drum panned in the centre, and i have the ride and hi-hat panned oppositely, further away than the toms.

What does everyone else do to pan drums? Are there any rules to follow when doing this?
#2January 26th, 2008 · 01:57 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
there are no rules ..but  your first statement was pretty much right on.. when most engineers set up the soundstage
(position in the mix)  they  try to set up the panning just like you are hearing it looking at the kit.  although I myself am not fond of the hard panned hihat and ride.   I usually never go over 75% with my drum kit panning

I like kick and snare centered or sometimes I will go up to 4% panned off of center , with snare right and kick left.,  or kick center, snare 4% to the right,.  then hi hat  between 15% and 40% to the right.  I then experiment with the rest of the toms and cymbal panning. I usually take the toms and pan em just like looking at the kit. 1st rack tom might be center/or even right of center/ or just left of center usually no more the 5%-10%  then I keep moving left in the mix by % until I am getting the drum to sound like I want in the mix. I experiment with this panning because the floor tom usually sits back some from the from of the kit and almost directly behind the 2nd rack tom. (depends on the size of the kit). so Iusually will keep it fairly close in panning to the 2nd rack tom.
the widest panned item is usually my ride which is about 75% off to the left.   Now saying this I don't always follow this and change things around quite often.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 16th, 2024 · 6:30 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.