#1March 31st, 2007 · 05:11 PM
1 threads
3 posts
United Kingdom
digital recording?
can anyone help me? my band and i scraped and saved for a Boss BR 1180 digital multitrack, which works great, really easy to use, and my friend has given me an older version of cubase to edit stuff. only problem is i dont know how to get the tracks actually onto my computer, im not too good with them, i had an audio capture card installed, and bought the neccessary cables so its all connected up, i thought that it would just pick up on that automatically, but perhaps i need some sort of software? anyway has anyone got any advice on how to get these recordings into my computer?!
#2April 1st, 2007 · 07:21 AM
1 threads
3 posts
United Kingdom
thank you!
thanks a lotrokit, you've been a great help!
#3April 2nd, 2007 · 07:48 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
re: exporting WAV
rokit wrote…
I have a TASCAM MTR with similar capabilities as your BR 1180.  I checked the BOSS site  http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=334  and found this feature statement: Import/export .wav files directly for loading drum loops, etc.  But it is not clear at all how the unit supports connectivity to your computer.

According to the site, the EXPORT WAV feature supports export of tracs, as well as mix-downs, to WAV format on the BR 1180.  However, after reading more about your model, this feature seems to require the CD upgrade.

There is a DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) output in the back of the BR 1180.  Check your user manual to see what kind of equipment can be connected to this output.  If you can connect it to your sound card or computer in some way (which I kinda doubt) you will need some software to interpret the signal.

I think you may be stuck with either 1) upgrade/add CD; 2) connect to your capture card with stereo LINE OUT plugs.  The second option sux because you are digitizing analog output from a digital device.  And yes, you need software to run the capture for you.  CUBASE may be able to handle this for you, but I know nothing about the program.

If you can't get CUBASE to do the job, I suggest you download AUDACITY at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/.  It is a clean and simple digital audio solution that supports digital recording from LINE IN.  There are plenty of AUDACITY experts on BandAmp.

My TASCAM has a USB interface that allows me to quickly transfer trac or mix-down WAVs from the MTR to my computer -- this was an important feature and reason I bought the unit.  It's a trade off, however, and I've read that similar Boss and Fostex models have more features than the TASCAM.

Hopefully some of the BandAmp recording experts can give you some more ideas.  At a minimum, you have an excellent MTR to record your compositions.

Cheers,
Rokit
Thats awesome man That was a great help from you.Just goes to show how much this comunity helps each other when really in need!
#4April 3rd, 2007 · 11:06 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
my recorder has the same problem, its a roland vs-1680, its got the lot and internal hard drive but when it comes to exporting it... its a real pain.

Still haven't figured out how to get the audio on the computer... just been using master RCA outputs into sound card then recording it on computer, and yes, it does suck.

My recorder has a SCSI output thats for zip drives and cd-rw's.... the cd-rw costs 180 dollars i think which is ridicolous and zip drives only fit 250mb (as my recorder doesn't support 750mb zip disk drives) and the zip drive i have doesnt have scsi connectors so yeah pretty frustrating that i paid so much for the recorder and can barely even put it on computer!
#5April 4th, 2007 · 11:01 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
wav files
I looked at this a little and I think the wav file /drum thing is for bringing in wav files off of a CD into the recorder.  I would contact the customer support and ask then about the light pipe outout  or.......they may have a
output card for it.   I have seen this before with mixers buy one and they don't tell you that they have a add-on card /output available for it......like the add on tdif or spdif or something... I would suggest contacting the support people.
#6April 4th, 2007 · 01:21 PM
1 threads
3 posts
United Kingdom
nearly there (i think)
thanks so much for your help, im almost there i think, im trying to go down the line out root, and have downloaded the audacity program you suggested, but how do i actually get it to pick up the analogue signal? i have it connected to the computer, and was expecting audacity to store the file when i pressed play on the recorder, but not so. the program works with my microphone however, but im having difficulty convincing it to change to line out.
#7April 5th, 2007 · 03:15 AM
1 threads
3 posts
United Kingdom
all done!
thanks so much everyone, especially Rokit, i have now officially gotten several tracks onto the computer and am happily editing them. The analogue to digital conversion didnt reduce the quality anyway near as bad as i was expecting.thanks a lot for your help.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 1:55 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.