#1October 14th, 2017 · 04:29 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Simple Recording Hacks That Will Save You
Post up your simple recording hacks, that could save a recording session, or writing project,   I will start off with two.

Redundancy, back up , everything in multiple locations.  Stuff happens, be careful when moving projects around though because sometimes the VSTI information will not transfer with the project, in that case save the settings within the VSTI, and copy that file over to your project file backups.

Second one.... write everything down on paper.  What mics were used where, what settings on the mics, what preamp,  and the gain levels, compressors and all their settings. I was able to pick up this hack from working on a couple of pro projects. We wrote down everything, including what plugins where used on what tracks, all their settings, the automation info, and any other pertinent information that might be needed. This hack just saved me on the song   I Stood By You.  I had everything written down, and was able to rebuild the song fairly close to what I had before I had the issues with the first version.

Anyways please post up any cool hacks you might have come across or learned that could save a project
#2October 14th, 2017 · 01:57 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice tips - you could save the bother of writing everything down by taking photos and or screen shots/grabs
#3October 16th, 2017 · 04:42 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
Nice tips - you could save the bother of writing everything down by taking photos and or screen shots/grabs

I write everything down then transfer the info into the notes section in the DAW project as I go along, and when I offline the project. I think your idea is great to take pics too  and create a separate file to store inside the project file.  There is probably a way to move the pics into the notes section of the DAW. I'm gonna have to experiment now to see if I can do that.

Edit: I tried it. I can't get the pics to transfer over into the notes section, so it's take pics/video and create a separate file within the DAW project.
#4October 18th, 2017 · 10:34 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
You know some people don't think about this, or know this, but,  if you need to recall a session, or did a fantastic recording, writing,  or taking pics of everything,  can help you on your next session.  When I say everything that goes from, what mics used, and there settings, preamps, and all settings, plug ins etc.  Even your mic cables type and length can play a part..

I was recording AC guitar, and was getting great sound, I went back later to add another part, the sound was darker not a detailed on the top end. I had the same preamp setting same mic, same location in the room.  The only thing I had changed was the mic cable.  I had first used this little 5' mic cable that looks like it's real nice quality (can't read the lettering it's worn off). In the second recording attempt I was using a rapco 25' mic cable I had brought over from the band practice room.  I wouldn't think 20' of cable and different type would make a difference but it did.  I dug around and found the 5' cable and BAM  there was that nice top end clarity back.  So When writing a session down, write everything down whether you think you need to or not. You just might need that info at a later date.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:03 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.