#1December 12th, 2007 · 05:55 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Recording guitar to PC
hey all. i am a complete novice in this field and busy feeling my way through. I have an acoustic guitar with pickup which I am trying to record to PC. i am using M-audio fast track pro to connecto via USB but all I get is a level way too high and huge distortion. Any tips? Also what software should I be using because at the mo I am trying to record direct into FL Studion which I am not sure is a good idea?
#2December 12th, 2007 · 07:27 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
i dont know FL but maybe u can lower the input signal somewhere in the mixer, or maybe even in the Windows mixer, check some settings, routings, connect in the right way, start up again..
i use M-audio Audiophile longtime, had some probs at first too, now its fine
i use Magix Audio Studio or Cubase to record

good luck
#3December 12th, 2007 · 10:45 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
47 posts
Germany
I think you need a preAmp to go between the computer and your guitar, WaM.  I can't offer a lot of help here, as I record my guitar tracks with a digital multi-track recorder then export tracks as WAV for use in my FL Studio projects.

Once you get the guitar preamp thing straightened out, you ought to be able to record tracks in FL Studio or other software.  Google on AUDACITY for and excellent and FREE software package which is a simplier to manage than FL Studio.  Audacity is good to have in your hip pocket for quick mods and rendering -- sometimes I just don't want to dig all around FL Studio looking for a capability that is easily found in Audacity.

Hope this helps and good luck, man.

Rick
#4December 12th, 2007 · 04:27 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
ther should be some kind of  virtual mixer or input.output controls for you Maudio interface .. also I think ther is a mixer or input controler for fl also

I haven;t looked at the Maudio stuff but most interfaces give you someway to control the levels.
#5December 12th, 2007 · 07:20 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Why dont you think that recording straight into FL is not a good idea??
It can record audio and you can edit audio with it.
It's not a good idea if you dont know what your doing, I'll give you that !
I think it depends on you personality, you can dive into the deep end and learn the hard way, or go for a paddle and build your knowledge base up slowly and surly with Audacity.
You'll get there either way.

As for distorting input devises, follow the sound to the source turning down the levels at every point you can. As long as your signal/recording is clear, you use your Audio Editor to 'bring up the levels', 'ad effects' etc later.
I dont have a USB sound input device, but my sound cards input knobs are set way down especially recording guitar.
As with Guitar Rig 2, if I remember correctly, the audio input must be set very low, the program takes the signal and it puts the sound to it.
If you can afford it a pre-amp is of course another answer.

Love to know how you get on. 
#6December 13th, 2007 · 03:22 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
The Basics
I would always start from the basics:

Read the manual if came with one, if you don't have one I'm sure you can google search and find one on the net, this may be all you need to do.

Have you installed the Driver that comes with it?

Always use headphones or monitor speakers so that you can simply adjust the settings until they sound good

Your guitar, I would initially set this between 50 to 75% of it's maximum volume, with the EQ set to flat.

Then adjust your M-audio volume settings, there should be a clip indicator, if so you want to get the level as high as possible without it clipping, if it doesn't have a clip indicator then try initially setting the level at 50 %,By doing this you will be getting the maximum dynamic range of the guitar, in other words all the subtle acoustic sounds of the guitar.

I assume that the M-audio will have a mixer level indicator, so again you need to set this to the maximum level before it clips.

Lastly, your software, again you need to set your recording level to the maximum level before it clips.

If all else fails I know that M-Audio have a technical support team, who can talk through everything on the phone.

I record my acoustic with Mic's, hence it is not an Electro acoustic.This would be another alternative, but not all Electro acoustic guitars record well with Mic's.

Good luck!!

Denis
#7December 14th, 2007 · 09:48 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
check this out it might help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPIYjbx5DbQ

I noticed that this has a input level control and pad switch if this is the same unit then you should be able to get a decent level .. just make sure the red light is not on and the green is.   if you have tons of distortion and your not getting a red light on the M audio, then  it will be a input level set to hot inside the computer.  either the controller software for the unit (if it has any) of  the input level in FL is set to hot.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 12:12 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.