#1January 29th, 2007 · 07:11 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
recording problem...
I've got a BIG problem.....

First: it's my cubase... It worked before, but now I can't record either in mono or stereo...

And... I've got another problem, but I dunno what it is.....  
It's either my PC or my Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1... or maybe it's the cubase... listen here Sometimes my PC starts working (when I record) and then it stops for a second, which destroys the recording....
Can someone out there help me?? 
#2January 29th, 2007 · 11:37 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Yeah, you mentioned this in the chat not long ago,

I will try what I can to help you out here, since I really think you got something going in your music making, and I know all too well how frustrating it can be when things don't work as obviously as you'd want them to.

You say Cubase doesn't work at this moment... Does it mean it won't open at all, or is there something not functioning inside the program when it's not running?

If Cubase doesn't open, the cause of this lies within the missing dongle emulator. When you ran setup.exe you were first guided through the steps of installing the dongle emulator. In the chat you mentioned that accessing Start=>All programs=>SyncroSoft Emu was missing, so I believe you have to run setup again and let it install and activate the dongle again. After this step is taken the setup file will want to continue to install Cubase again but that's not necessary... So you can quit the installation program there. But don't de-install or deactivate the dongle so long as it's on your computer or Cubase will cease to function once more. As long as it's not being accessed it's not consuming any cpu power at all anyway, it is perfectly harmless when it comes to that.

If your computer screws with your audio you might want to check whether you have a good ASIO driver installed... Maybe the Audio Kontrol came with a good driver, if not check www.asio4all.com, it's pretty reliable and should take care of the most common problems such as unworkable latency amounts etc.

Besides that, there are a few high-profile anti-virus programs which are particularly cpu-power consuming - Like Symantec/Norton is a complete bastard at that (and to be honest it isn't very good at all!) or SpySweeper will perform sweeps every few minutes rendering the computer completely inaccessible for the end user (for 10-20 seconds). Very annoying and is bound to screw up any recording attempts. When I am working with audio and I still want to have atleast some safety on, AVG Free is the only anti-virus program I have running. I switch the rest completely off...

Check here:
http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

The trick is to "strip" your computer from all non-essential background processes, such as automated updates and installations and peer-to-peer programs and whatever... This is going to give your audio program the highest priority, and hopefully will prevent your computer from "locking up" while your doing your thing.

I hope this helps some.
Lemme know if it does and to whether you need more help, there might be other things going on, but this is just what I guess could be the problems.

Good luck!
#3January 29th, 2007 · 12:35 PM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
Cubase openes, but I can't record...  
And I have Norton... 
#4January 29th, 2007 · 04:15 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
do you have you devices set
make sure that your input/ output  connections are set right. My version says vst connections.  under the devices tab  then  the input tab will show all your bus connections make sure it shows your  Audio Kontrol 1 as the input bus.................... If your cubase has this.   But Pup is better a cubase than I am so he can probably get you lined out  on your problem.
#5January 29th, 2007 · 06:43 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Just a sudden thought! flash! that was it!
No, seriously, do you have an audio card software/program? I have a soundblaster card with the creative audio program to go with it.
I always have to check the mixer interface because it automatically mutes some channels when/after recording and I always have to select which device I'm going to use to record with : mic, Aux1, Line-in, mp3 etc ,because it seams to change it around every time.

[edit]Another sudden thought, does Cubase sx3 have an 'enable audio' menu tab? Cubase 5 does and it got me a few times when I first started using cubase.
#6January 30th, 2007 · 01:54 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
There's more... When you open a project and add a track, you won't be able to hear your own input unless you enable the "monitoring" button in the track (the small music note icon). Maybe it's something simple as that going on. Also I have Nuendo but in Nuendo I am unable to record MIDI. I select the track, press the recording butten but the it just won't record. It does REGISTER MIDI input but it refuses to record and is also unable to send it to any vst's I select. It seems the MIDI engine in my Neundo is screwed up, I tried re-installing but that doesn't solve a thing. But then it never worked with Nuendo from day one, while Cubase is fine at everything here.

So does Cubase register your audio input? What exactly happens when you try to record? Is it similar to the MIDI problem I am having in Nuendo? Please be very specific... Or else I won't be able to help you!
#7February 3rd, 2007 · 07:21 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway

It's starting to really piss me off!! 

I tried to de-activate Norton, but it didn't help much...
There's nothing wrong with Cubase now... So what is it?? 

#8February 3rd, 2007 · 07:31 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
and also... I have set the 'devise' to 'Audio kontrol 1'...
#9February 3rd, 2007 · 10:25 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Kine wrote…
There's nothing wrong with Cubase now... So what is it??
How do you know your Cubase is alright then?
I'm no Audio-tech master, I only know the problems I've encountered along the way, but I will give you a good tip,
Remember all the steps you've taken, think back to the different things you've observed and then take some time to recall them here.
What I'm trying to say is, the more you explain of your problematic situation the more insight the good peeps of this site have to chew on, ipso facto you get a better result!
#10February 5th, 2007 · 11:00 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
I don't really like the plug-ins that comes with cubase... Where can I find better effects and stuff??
#11February 5th, 2007 · 12:41 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Norton sucks.... I know.
You CANNOT deactivate Nortons services except...... you delete it first and then go through the registry and destroy all entries. You cant believe what Norton really does....
The more RAM the better
The more CPU speed the better
Is there somewhere a CPU monitor running? watch that while recording.

Several things to capture.... not easy... good luck

and I guess you should try stereo plugs instead of mono. check that out. may be your computer explores a new channel :-)
#12February 5th, 2007 · 01:26 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Kine wrote…
I don't really like the plug-ins that comes with cubase... Where can I find better effects and stuff??

Try www.kvraudio.com ! One of the best resource sites available. Check out the advanced search function so you can specifically aim for freeware effects and softsynths VST's ... Those are probably what you are after.

Best create an account there though, because "visitors" are sometimes locked out from downloading when the server is really busy.

And to get you started on the effects:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

These are a really fine line of products (and free!) the basic operation and nice user interface plus excellent processing quality makes them top rated by yours truly!
#13February 5th, 2007 · 02:09 PM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
thnx 
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 7:15 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.