#1June 24th, 2011 · 11:18 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Looking for VST or other solution to make guitar sound like bass
I have been recording some basslines played on my regular electric guitar into my computer through a DI box.

What would you say would be the best solution to make it sound like a bass?  I would say that I should just tune it down an octave and then eq it, but perhaps you guys have some better ideas.

Any would be appreciated

Thanks, Connor

#2June 24th, 2011 · 11:58 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Use an octaver. When you´re tuning down ya git for an octave, the strings won´t sound anymore.
Just like rubberbands.

http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=3767&lang=0
#3June 24th, 2011 · 02:25 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I thought you had a Bass guitar, I used to have a Boss pedal octaver many years ago, form memory it sounded more like a upright Bass.
ULI sugestion is a free VSt so you might as well see what it sounds like
What about a bass VST, have you tried those, there are so many, you would be able to find the sound you are looking for.
What are you trying to create here, I'm curious
#4June 24th, 2011 · 03:38 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I've used many techniques to get a bass out of a regular guitar. An octaver indeed is an interesting way. I've also had decent result simply keeping a 6-string in normal tuning and heavily eqqing the bass tones. It really fill up those frequencies, especially with a well placed distortion.

A tone to midi conversion is another, but that is rather unreliable - you really have to play clear single notes for that to work out right (a Boss DR5 drum machine has a tone to midi converter, some other boss gear has it too), unless you use a hex pickup such as a Roland GK-2A and use that with a midi interface for it. Or like a Roland VG8(EX) and use a bass setup in there. Now that's cute toys! You'll get bass sounds much stronger and better than you'd ever get from any real bass axe... But hey it's cheating! AND WAY MORE EXPENSIVE THAN AN ACTUAL 4-STRING!!! And it's not as charming as a real 4 string either.... sooooooooo

If you have a couple bucks to spare I'd skip the whole eqqin or octaver whack and get even a cheap model 4 string... coz it's every dam way worth it. My current stage bass is a $250 Dean V-Metalman - bought for looks only and it still sounds like a bass. So slap me  but you can honestly do better for less if it's sound you want.

Anyways back on subject if you really have no choice - with a subtle distortion effect on the lows and heavy eqqing you can get a reliable bass sound out a 6string as long as you manage to mask the sound into the drums a bit.
#5June 24th, 2011 · 04:21 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
PX wrote…
If you have a couple bucks to spare I'd skip the whole eqqin or octaver whack and get even a cheap model 4 string... coz it's every dam way worth it.
Absolutely true spoken, PX.
There´s nothing which can replace a real bass. In my first year , 2003, I had only a cheap asia strat and a small "zoom" multieffect with an octaver built in. Thisway I played the bass tracks on my first recording attemps.
It did its job, but there´s nothing which can replace a real bass.

My first bass was an "ESP B 50" which was surprising good quality and comfortable to play. I payed 199 €
new for it. If you should think about buying a bass ( and you should do so !) I recommend it warmly. You get a good instrument for ya money.
Can you imagine my music with an "octaved git sound" ?    There´s nothing  better than a real bass.
Grab a few bucks and look for a cheapo (new or used) and go for it. On ebay or similar sites you´ll find hundrets. Thousands.

This link is just an example

http://cgi.ebay.de/ESP-LTD-B-50-E-Bass-Schwarz-4-Saiten-/200622658164?pt=Gitarren&hash=item2eb60ad274
#6June 25th, 2011 · 04:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I totally agree with the guys here there is no substitute for a real Bass, I bought an Ibanez Muscican Bass second hand for only £150.00, an absolute steel, it's a real quality instrument superbly made, great sound and It's the Bass I use on all my recordings today and the past 25 years.

ULI used to have one and regrets selling it.

Through maple neck, incredible sustain, jumbo frets, great action, quality tuners etc etc

#7June 25th, 2011 · 08:32 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Yeah i've been meaning to pick up a bass for a while, but I was just wanting to get some demo bass tracks down to capture the feel I want.  Thanks for alll the suggestions, I'll give em all a go.
#8June 25th, 2011 · 08:33 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
That ibanez looks awesome!!  I better get lookin on craiglist
#9June 25th, 2011 · 03:03 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis wrote…
He didnt happen to sell it to an Englishman called Denis for 150 quid did he ?

Very sexy instrument in any case ! I mean ...  those curves !!! Especially from behind 
#10June 25th, 2011 · 04:17 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Denis wrote…
He didnt happen to sell it to an Englishman called Denis for 150 quid did he ?

Very sexy instrument in any case ! I mean ...  those curves !!! Especially from behind  8)

Actually the shop I bought from was Called 'Alan Gordens',  he was a talented musician. Being I'm left handed there are very few second hand basses about, he used to have them suspended from the ceiling, I could not believe my luck when I saw it. When I first got it, there was a wee earth noise, which never bothered me. After about twenty years of playing the guitar I plugged her in one day and the earth noise disappeared, it's been gone for over five years. I'm almost as lucky as you like finding that beautiful Hammond.
Patience is a virtue, search far and wide and thy shall find. Or go to the dumping ground where kings lives...lol
I'm currently searching for an Epiphone Les Paul second hand, then will eventually put some Gibson 57 pickups on it. Having done research, doing so will give me the sound of a real Gibson for Less than a quarter of the price. I was gonna get an Ibanez guitar, but decided that the sound is not me, they do a Straty sounding one, but I've got a lovely USA Strat already (only paid £220 for that). I think when I retire I may start collecting guitars, and oooooooh play them.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 6:39 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.