#1May 17th, 2011 · 10:59 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Cubase 5 Monitering Effects
I've being trying all day to learn how to set up recording audio with say pre-post reverb.
The problem is I can't hear the effect whilst recording or in stand-by - Personally I like to hear some reverb in the mix whilst recording, but have the option of to control what you want to do with it after the recording, remove, change, control etc.

When I did the first Cubase 5 recording with the built-in sound card I was able to hear the effect before and during the recording, but after changing to the Delta audiophile 2496 I can't monitor the effect, however I can hear the effect after recording during playback.

It's so frustrating, it must be the settings or something??
#2May 17th, 2011 · 03:23 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I have found a solution, deactivated the direct monitoring on my sound car, but I don't like the latency,
slight echo, would rather record audio dry without effects.

My buffer is set to 256, I can't seem to lower it, having trying to lowering it reverts back to 256, but having said that I don't think my computer will be able to tackle a lower buffer.

I'd be interested to know how others record audio via Cubase or similar
. It is said that Firewire is best, quoting zero latency, but I don't know if that is applicable for all firewire interfaces.

Quite frankly I think I'm better off recording the Audio with my standalone recorder, keyboards and drum software on the PC
#3September 6th, 2011 · 04:33 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Hm. I'm not sure if this directly answers your question, but I do record audio in Cubase (with effects, sometimes) and I don't have any latency problems unless I have certain VSTs in the mix. For instance, I use the Fab Filter suite and its Limiter absolutely must be disabled before recording or it will add very noticeable latency into the monitoring and totally screw me up.

That being said, I have a relatively nice sound card (RME Fireface).
#4September 7th, 2011 · 10:28 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
brianvaughn wrote…
Hm. I'm not sure if this directly answers your question, but I do record audio in Cubase (with effects, sometimes) and I don't have any latency problems unless I have certain VSTs in the mix. For instance, I use the Fab Filter suite and its Limiter absolutely must be disabled before recording or it will add very noticeable latency into the monitoring and totally screw me up.

That being said, I have a relatively nice sound card (RME Fireface).

I'm selling my Standalone Yamaha workstation, then will buy a Focusrite pro 24 firewire interface. The reviews are excellent and the cost is very reasonable, you can get zero latency with it too.
Yes RME is superb if not the best, Think in the UK they cost about £699.00 for the RME 400
The focusrite is about £219.00 they do another version which costs about £250.00 which has a feature called VRM, you can basically with headphones simulate different speakers, TV, Studio, HI-FI etc and change the listening position. Again excellent reviews.

EDIT

#5September 12th, 2011 · 04:47 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
i know its great recording gear(so i read on a respectable home-recording forum a lot), yet i  am not convinced on the sound simulating thing, maybe i am old fashioned, want to hear the purest sound.., but on this vid the sound changes do not work for me, why would one want to hear the sound worse then the pure recording?

#6September 13th, 2011 · 02:50 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
i know its great recording gear(so i read on a respectable home-recording forum a lot), yet i  am not convinced on the sound simulating thing, maybe i am old fashioned, want to hear the purest sound.., but on this vid the sound changes do not work for me, why would one want to hear the sound worse then the pure recording?

:D

Good question - The idea of the VRM is to create a mix that will sound good on any given sound source.
Many people listen to music on a cheap mono radio, so for commercial purposes you'd want to get to sound as good as possible from a similar devise. Ideally you would want to create a mix that sounds good on any given play back devise -  don't know if that is possible, but it will give you the opportunity to tweak your mix. 
#7September 13th, 2011 · 04:28 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
just as the mono mix should sound right, i know,
i find it fun to play my last work in progress on every possible player where ever i may find one, like car, work, phone , my sisters stereo etc
maybe its just that the soundquality on youtube is quite low, it just got annoying to my ears :p
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 4:28 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.