#1July 12th, 2010 · 04:25 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Recording streaming audio with M-Audio sound card
Any one got any suggestions as to how I can set up an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 to record streaming audio, system sounds, direct audio, "What you hear", Stereo Mix .....what ever you want to call it ?

I'm obviously running in Windows 7, otherwise I wouldn't have the problems, considering the new audio stack and all

I have all Devices showing in the volume window and I've tried setting my recording programs to "Monitor" as that is the only other choice next to 'spdif' and 'line 1/2', and seams the most obvious choice since spdif is not connected and line 1/2 is the mic, Monitor sounds like it should be used to listen to 'what your hearing at the moment'.

I've been reading a lot in different forums and I think I've come full circle but I still haven't found the key.
#2July 12th, 2010 · 09:02 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
what I do (and maybe ive completely missed the point of what youre asking so this may be a completely retarded answer) but what i do is i open audacity, set it to record on Stereo Mix and then press record. whatever the sound is, thats what itll record.

theres a crappy answer for you.
#3July 13th, 2010 · 03:05 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Just a theory, try taking a phono out socket of your 2496 into the phono in, seems the logical way to do it, but Kunadin' method seems the easy way to do it, but I'm not convinced it will  record streaming/audio video.

What exactly are you trying to record. If for example you want to record audio from a youTube video, there are many free programmes to do it, just google it. once you have downloaded the video you can then convert the mp4 video to wav/mp3 or whatever, that's how I do it, again there are some free mp4 converters.
#4July 13th, 2010 · 08:22 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Suggestions mucho appreciated..... but.....

@Kunadiun : That's my problem, the only choices I have are 'Monitor', 'spdif' and 'line 1/2', I just dont have "Stereo Mix" as a choice...cant see it in any case!
Stereo Mix should be my choice or What You Hear but all I have is Monitor which has not worked yet.
I've downloaded latest card drivers and High Definition drivers for onboard card and I've installed Audacity....because it was also suggested., but all to no avail.

@Denis : I have not tried this yet, though it was one of my first thoughts, I did read somewhere that sticking the out into the in and record the in will cause quality loss so I'm a little reluctant to do it......but it seams I may have to.

Yes I realise I can use programs (free DVDsoft stuff is excellent ) to stream the audio but that's defeating the object, I want this bloody sound card to record what I want when I want, whether it's youTube, my own videos or any sounds I happen to be making with my PC.

Cheers for your thoughts guys, as I said I think I've come full circle, sussed out that it's unsussable.

I suppose taking the stereo out and plugging it into the mixer would be the best and only solution, the mixer is connected to the cards stereo in already.

Strange that a sound card connected to a motherboard cant pick up an internal audio signal !!!

You know, it must be the Monitor setting, it's just that I haven't got it set up right. 
#5July 13th, 2010 · 02:12 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Suppose it's just working out how to route the signal into your sound card and onto your hardrive, somewhere between those points lies the key.

You could try tech support at M-Audio, if your lucky you will speak to someone that has a bit of Savy

Then there is always the dreaded Manual 

Or Bollock to it, put your feet up and let DVDsoft do the work..

HAPPY DAYS 
#6July 13th, 2010 · 02:25 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
kings wrote…

@Kunadiun : That's my problem, the only choices I have are 'Monitor', 'spdif' and 'line 1/2', I just dont have "Stereo Mix" as a choice...cant see it in any case!
Stereo Mix should be my choice or What You Hear but all I have is Monitor which has not worked yet.
I've downloaded latest card drivers and High Definition drivers for onboard card and I've installed Audacity....because it was also suggested., but all to no avail.

Ok I had this same problem, but there's something you have to do to get Stereo Mix to show up in the Audacity/Edit/Preferences/Recording tab thing.

I can't remember how I did it but you have to go to like your audio driver or you sound card wizard or audio options and select stereo mix to not be Hidden. Then it'll show up in audacity.

I wish i couldr emember how. that'll fix it though.
#7July 14th, 2010 · 03:28 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TheKunadiun wrote…
kings wrote…

Ok I had this same problem, but there's something you have to do to get Stereo Mix to show up in the Audacity/Edit/Preferences/Recording tab thing.

I can't remember how I did it but you have to go to like your audio driver or you sound card wizard or audio options and select stereo mix to not be Hidden. Then it'll show up in audacity.

I wish i couldr emember how. that'll fix it though.
If your working in 7 then you probably mean the Sounds properties window where you can choose to hide devices or not.....I've had them all showing since I installed the card, but Stereo Mix is not there either.

I had some success last night by connecting the cards line out to the external mixer, set line out as the default device in the windows sounds options, set WaveLab record to Monitor and voila I recorded an mp3......I couldn't hear anything because the sound out was through the mixer and not the speakers, but I could see it was working from all the green volume levels. 

I need a few RCA tulips to 3/4" jack, that would connect the pc/sound card line out to a channel on the mixer, and I'll just have to get the speakers coming out of the mixers main out. Seams like the 'proper' way to do it.

I did read that deactivating the onboard sound card my also have an effect, forcing the system and it's programs to use the Audiophile 2496
#8July 14th, 2010 · 06:28 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Yeah im working in 7..oh it wasnt there? thats odd. maybe its in a different place. i have no idea.

oh cool try that...i think that is the 'proper' way 

good luck
#9July 17th, 2010 · 08:20 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TheKunadiun wrote…
Yeah im working in 7..oh it wasnt there? thats odd. maybe its in a different place. i have no idea.

oh cool try that...i think that is the 'proper' way 

good luck
So can you record 'what you hear' in your PC?
What sound card do you have?

If you working in Windows 7 and dealing with a recording environment I'd love to hear how you have it set up.

My own recording problem is as such resolved, after reading through forums and instructions a 'loop back cable' is the only way to do it.
Windows 7 makes you do it 'properly' lol
#10July 18th, 2010 · 02:26 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Yeah I can record what I hear. My sound card is....I'm not exactly sure...how do you find that again? I know i have ASIO4all drivers or something and all my audio stuff says Realtek High definition Audio. im not much help at all...

For my recording setup in windows 7 I have a Behringer XENYX 1204fx mixer and I plug that into my computer (usb) and I open audacity and sound control properties and adjust everything until its correct/working/at a level I want it and then I just press record in audacity and then depending what i have set on the mixer whatever inputs into the mixer outputs into audacity and records...
for stereo mixes 'what i hear' recordings i go into audacities and the preferences and select stereo mix but before that was there (cause it didnt show up at first) i had to do something in the audio control properties to make it show up...can't remember what it was but i found it somewhere on the web.

EDIT: im using an HP Pavillion dv9500 notebook pc
#11July 18th, 2010 · 02:44 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TheKunadiun wrote…
Yeah I can record what I hear. My sound card is....I'm not exactly sure...how do you find that again? I know i have ASIO4all drivers or something and all my audio stuff says Realtek High definition Audio. im not much help at all...

For my recording setup in windows 7 I have a Behringer XENYX 1204fx mixer and I plug that into my computer (usb) and I open audacity and sound control properties and adjust everything until its correct/working/at a level I want it and then I just press record in audacity and then depending what i have set on the mixer whatever inputs into the mixer outputs into audacity and records...
for stereo mixes 'what i hear' recordings i go into audacities and the preferences and select stereo mix but before that was there (cause it didnt show up at first) i had to do something in the audio control properties to make it show up...can't remember what it was but i found it somewhere on the web.

EDIT: im using an HP Pavillion dv9500 notebook pc

OK! So you do have Stereo Mix as a choice.....found it on the web did you....I'll have to follow that.

A Realtek High Definition Audio card is the on-board card...I've also got one on my mother-board.
I've got the speaker signal coming out of the Realtek then splitting up via a 'audio splitter cable' to the mixer, the mixer is plugged into the Audiophiles audio 1/2 in.......which I can choose as an option when I'm recording.

Funny thing is that I installed Audacity to try and record with, now that I understand it a bit better Audacity records with an ever increasing echo / feed-back so I obviously haven't got it right yet !
But Wavelab records perfectly ...... German technology 

I take it that the usb mixer and it's software sort the right channels for you automatically.

Must look into that Stereo Mix choice !!
#12July 18th, 2010 · 08:17 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Wavelab eh? I'll have to look into that. Is it free?

I believe the usb mixer sorts the channels correctly, but I did alot of different channel setup type stuff in audacity so Im not really sure.

Im gonna look into wavelab now
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:41 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.