#1January 18th, 2010 · 11:01 AM
5 threads
6 posts
Zimbabwe
daw recording and set up
hello

Well i am now really thinking of getting seriuos and maybe produce my first album. I use Fl Studio for beats, Reaper for vocals and sometimes Fl Studio and Reason rewired.
I just wanted to find out from you people out there which softwares do you use and what kind of set up.
My Pc is not very bad even though it's not a dual core. I would have prefared a single software for both beats and vocals. I am on PC so i have tried Fl Studio but am not just happy with it's audio recording. Rewire consumes CPU and rendering beats then recoding vocals is my last option. I have downloaded A demo of Propellerhead's Record and i do not know if anyone has tried it yet. It seems promising.

chow

kam
#2January 19th, 2010 · 04:19 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
There are many paths to take.

I mainly record audio using a combination of an Art Gold tube preamp and a Yamaha AW16G hard disc recorder. It records in 24bit, so plenty of headroom, the presets are great, the dynamics have presets for certain instruments, so you don't need to have engineering skills, although you still have to tweek the levels.

The better the preamp the better the audio quality, depends on your budget, don't buy cheap cheap.
A studio producer suggested to me if you are on a tight budget say £500.00, purchase either focusrite or TL audio preamps, the focusrite are solid state, TL audio Tube/solid state. I prefer tube/solid state to create warmth in the sound.

I couldn't afford the TL audio, although you might get lucky and pick one up on ebay. I've heard productions from this kit it, it is quality.

So I settled for the Art Gold, I did a lot of reaserch and this one came out on top for my budget. You can also purchase top grade tubes to replase the chineese ones, I've read some reviews, where people have tried this and rate it high, but not tried it myself, I think I will give it a go though in the future.
http://www.proaudiosystems.co.uk/product-1762.html

I don't use midi, but from the members here on the AMP, FL and Cubase seem the best.
Someone I know suggested that Pro Tool is good for audio.
#3January 19th, 2010 · 10:10 AM
5 threads
6 posts
Zimbabwe
hie
thanks for your response. My approach is going to centre on the computer. I will record using a computer and am thinking of buying a mixer, a condensor mic, a music keyboard and other staff.
I record using software and play the beats using the midi keyboards recording using either fl studio or reason. I personerlly am not a good keyboard player so, i will be working with a friend who will be playing the keys if it gets complex but generally i will record using beats using fruity. I would have prefared reason for it's quality but lack of vst support and a sort of poor piano roll are my draw backs.
I was tempted though by the combination of reason and record it's quite cool.
I do music part time so i will try to find time any time this year and gather my staff.

chow

kam
#4January 19th, 2010 · 02:06 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
You could just get a quality USB preamp, if you go the mixer route , buy one that's recommended for music production, rather than a standard PA mixer, the cost I believe is a little more.

It depends on how many inputs you need, hence if you are recording drums, they can take up to 8 or more mics, depending on the kit.

If you're on a tight budget, you could just get a USB condenser mic.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 7:41 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.