#1October 1st, 2009 · 01:04 AM
1 threads
2 posts
United States of America
Mastering Suites!
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a good mastering suite, preferably free, for OSX. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.
Thanks!
#2October 1st, 2009 · 11:19 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
What is your set-up, software etc?
#3October 1st, 2009 · 01:39 PM
1 threads
2 posts
United States of America
I'm working with Cubase LE / Garageband. I normally record in Garageband, set pans, add effects, then move everything over into Cubase to mix. Just, I'm having a bit of a problem cleaning up guitars. I used to use Adobe Audition's guitar mastering, along with some of it's other effects, but for some reason that's not working on my PC anymore. Plus, the jitter I get trying to use it is ridiculous. It's also been pretty difficult to find some free, decent, VST's as well for osx. I really don't like the ones that came with Cubase. They're kind of terrible.
If you could provide me with any info, that'd be great!
#4October 1st, 2009 · 02:44 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I use Adobe Audition 1.5. Best use the noise reduction feature.
All you do is select a sample from the noise only, you need to have a part where your not playing, I normally have  leave 8 bars of nothing at a start of a song, in that way you can select noise only parts from all tracks. I set the amount of noise reduction to about 70%, if you set it any higher it will effect the recording quality and change the overall sound and dynamics.  It works great for me!!
I'm pretty sure there are some You tube tutorials, the tutorail on the software expains it quite well too.

Why not upload a song your not happy with, it may be your set-up, guitars can be noisy, sometimes they need good earthing as I found from my Arch top.

Hope that helps
#5October 2nd, 2009 · 06:58 AM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Garage band master track
You probably know this but the mastering presets out of garage band are ok.
Record in garageband without any 1/2 bus output fx... mix in Q bass then drag back to new garageband set up and master .
All compressors delays verbs eq are close to wave burner from logic.
I say this only cause I've done it , used for commercial release album  and production music.
Apple plugins limiter are good 2.
No complaints from clients.
Actually used a bit as it's speedy and you won;t get tangled up in over mastering.
Option cough up the cash and get logic 8 which is very cool /or pay and get them done professionally ....save any head aches and makes you feel like you're a REAL producer

#6October 7th, 2009 · 03:54 AM
1 threads
2 posts
United States of America
If they made Audition for osx, I would be set. Unfortunately they don't. I'll try and look into Logic for sure. I'll also upload the song I'm working with asap! It's just late and I have to work tomorrow. Thanks for the input!
#7October 8th, 2009 · 03:23 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
bettersafethansafari wrote…
If they made Audition for osx, I would be set. Unfortunately they don't. I'll try and look into Logic for sure. I'll also upload the song I'm working with asap! It's just late and I have to work tomorrow. Thanks for the input!

Do you know anyone with Adobe Audition that will master it for you?
In fact why don't you send me the cut, preferably on separate tracks, or send it to be without editing the start or end. send in at least 256 mp3 bit rate.
Send it to:
denis.ahmet@gmail.com
#8October 27th, 2009 · 12:27 AM
89 posts
Canada
Hey bettersafethansafari, my two cents...for what it's worth, I love Logic Studio, used 8, now on 9, and it is awesome.  I used to use Cubase SX3 which I found far more overwhelmingly difficult to use (could just be the way my mind works though) until I got my hands on Logic, never looked back.  If you find garageband comfortable, Logic is just his grown up older brother:  who has a convertible...dates the hottest girl in school ya know lol. 

It also, of course, integrates seamlessly into OSX, no silly interface problems or any thing else.  Just works.  Plus you get waveburner etc, from beginning to master, one bundle.

I do however have to give a shout out to Audition, the noise reduction plug ins are my favorite so far.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 2:27 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.