#1February 12th, 2006 · 11:59 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
more than 4 tracks?
you know those converter things which convert 2 1/4 inch guitar jacks (mono) into one 1/4 inch guitar jack (stereo)??

hope you know what im talking about....

well i have that converter, it has a hole for 2 of them and turns it into just one

ok, i wanted to know.... because my band has an analogue 4 track, and 4 tracks isnt really enough for us, i was wondering if i could plug 2 guitars into that converter, then plug the stereo end of the converter into one of the inputs on my 4 track... and ACTUALLY get stereo sound even though i am using just one track....

Example: i have keyboard and another person has a guitar, now i plug in my keyboard using a normal 1/4 inch guitar lead (mono) into the left hole on the converter and the other person plugs in there guitar also using a standard mono guitar lead into the right hole.
I go on and plug in the other end of that converter (the stereo 1/4 inch guitar jack) into say... the first input which would be track one on my 4 track.
I leave the "panning" in the centre.... NOW will my keyboard then go to the left speaker while the guitar goes to the right? OR will they just be one normal mono track and both the instruments will be heard... OR will only one instrument be heard?... OR will nothing be heard....? OR will my 4 track suddenly have white smoke pouring out of it (mind you that did happen the other week!)

I understand this way is very dodgy... but .... yeah we would like to know 

Is there another way we can get more than 4 tracks on our 4 track? NOT including buying another 4 track or so on or getting a mixer? oh and we have no computer access where we record... OH and we record all at once, not seperate...

Thanks first of all for getting up to this part (that means you read a fair bit) hope you understand what i mean
#2March 8th, 2006 · 09:28 PM
9 threads / 7 songs
66 posts
Canada
Bouncing Tracks with a 4 track
If you were to record your 4 track and then stop the recording. Mix the tracks until you like what you've heard.  Then find the on line manual on the Internet to your 4 track and look up Bouncing tracks.  If you can't find a way to bounce tracks with your manual then you will have to do it manually. I would suggest trying it with a tape that you don't totally need( not a master copy).  Long story short what you will be doing is recording onto one track what you have recorded onto the other three tracks.( You will probably need extra cords depending on the model, but some you can do it automatically). Also you should consider some 4-8 track models will let you record on all tracks and then bounce the tracks onto one or more tracks while still keeping the original instrument/sounds on the selected track you want to bounce too.  I'm not too great at explaining these methods but I'm sure you could find a better way to do this if you googled it. Alas if this worked for you(it has worked for me on my Yamaha MD8 mini disk recorder) you now have three freed up tracks to record onto. You obviously will not be able to record live on the new freed up tracks but you will be able to have way more than just 4 tracks on one tape without losing all the quality you first had. 
Just remember to mix the tracks you are going to bounce to the best possible because once they are bounced you won't be able to mix them that great.

Good luck and I hope you read this. Again this is just something that you can try... I am no professional and just learned these through trial and error.  Take an afternoon and give it a shot.  Peace and Rock on.

Oh yeah....................I don't think that connector will work and if it did I'm sure you would get a very shitty connection.

Try buying a two input analog to digital controller to hook up to your usb on the computer.  Then you can single track out of your 4 track into a program like cubase and then have as many tracks as you want. note: you will not be able to do live off the floor but your quality will get much better as time goes on..  Hope I could help. Any other questions just ask me.

If you want to check out a analog to digital converter try a tascam US-122. I bought it at a music store in Canada for about $300 and it came with a USB connection, a pre-amp, an amp out and also all the software you need to record onto a computer.  I run all my stuff through my lab top and it works great. I don't even have a good sound card and my sound is great for only $300 + Mic's and many hours at my computer.  A little money for a great value and maybe even a new hobby.  See ya.
#3March 8th, 2006 · 11:31 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
bouncing the tracks is cool cause we can add little things here and there after we have played it.... but in MY perfect world i could have all the instruments in the band have stereo sound and all seperate inputs into my 4 track... but that's obviously not going to happen.

The point is i was hoping to score an extra input with the converter thingy but yeah i tried it and it's rather crap.

Also i don't know how to bounce tracks, i got a fostex x-24 and it has an "auto bounce" button which when i press nothing happens just the 4 tracks flash and i have played around with it but still can't get anything to work so i have no idea what it does or how to do it... the damn manual for it just specifies technical details of the product... doesnt say how to use it
#4March 29th, 2006 · 12:33 AM
14 threads / 7 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Try a cheap mixer
The simple solution to the problem is a mixer. You simply plug everything into the mixer, and it will mix it down to one or two tracks. The down side is that you can not adjust individual instruments after recording. The up side is that the mixer is a very handy tool to use both in the recording end as well as in performances. They range from very cheap to very, very expensive; some of the cheap ones can be pretty good.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 9:39 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.