Shure sm57 about a foot away pointing at the start of fret board
AKG1000s condensor mic positioned half way down the neck about 18 inches
Panned hard left and right
Very little adjustment in eq 1.5dB's on highs and minus 1.5dB's on the lows
Little compression just enough so that you hear it kick in
Hall reverb/syphonic [syphonic is like chorus] not too much again

Sax

New reed
AKG1000's condensor mic positioned above the bell half way the lenght of instrument pointing towards the mouthpiece.
Little compression
Same reverb as guitar but less of, plus echo[ be careful too much and it's horrible] just enough so it fattens-up

Both recorded via an ART gold tube preamp through to a Yamaha AW1600g workstation.

Then masterd the whole thing using Adobe audition 1.5 using noise reduction, pan/expander and finaly noise limiter, boosting up by 6dB's

Hope that all makes sence.
Anybody want some tips on recording live stuff, PM me, I'll tell you what I know

Cheers

Denis
#2January 22nd, 2009 · 05:36 PM
22 threads / 7 songs
164 posts
Canada
geeezzzzz
i've got ALOT to learn.........
#3May 15th, 2012 · 08:05 PM
4 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
AKG1000S
I've used this AKG1000S for acoustic guitar without a need for the additional SM57.I found the SM57 to be more of an all around vocal and mic for drums.Not crazy for the 57 on acoustic guitar because it lacks high end.I place the AKG1000S about 6 inches from the guitar where the end of the guitar neck meets the sound hole.

Glenn
#4May 16th, 2012 · 12:31 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: AKG1000S
glenn7623 wrote…
I've used this AKG1000S for acoustic guitar without a need for the additional SM57.I found the SM57 to be more of an all around vocal and mic for drums.Not crazy for the 57 on acoustic guitar because it lacks high end.I place the AKG1000S about 6 inches from the guitar where the end of the guitar neck meets the sound hole.

Glenn
At the time of making this thread, these were the only mics I had, yet people often commented on the sound quality I got from them for recording. The shure may not be as bright as the AKG1000s, but it is often regarded to having a warm analogue sound, whereas the AKG is brighter yet more digital or metallic. So it is indeed the combination of these two mics together that give you the best of both worlds. I actually saw this set-up by coincidence in a respected studio magazine.
At the end of the day it's up to you what sound you prefer, however I believe that you should always continue to exeriement with different mic positions and rooms.
These days I use Rode NT5 pencil stereo matched pair for acoustic guitar. I bought these after much research and was lucky to find a second hand pair on auction. These are without question the best mics I have used for acoustic guitar, they have it all crisp highs, warm lows, excellent noise ratio, much more gain than say AKG1000s where you need more gain on your preamps giving more noise
#5May 16th, 2012 · 04:39 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
I've tried this set up recently to good result
A Rode M3 pointing at the 12th fret and a SE X1 pointing at the bridge
with a little compression
I try to record it dry (no reverb) and add the effects later
It can get a bit boomy with a large body guitar but sound very good with an OM or a parlour
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 9:54 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.