#1December 29th, 2008 · 05:54 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Background Hiss
Just got a Samson C01U USB Condenser Microphone.

Specifications from manual:
Frequency Response: 20-18,000 Hz
Polar Pattern: Hyper-cardiod
Element type: Back condenser type
Diaphragm Thickness: 3 microns
Sensitivity: -33 db/Pa
SPL: 136 dB
Weight: 1.06 lbs (.48 kg)
Height: 7" (18 cm)
Width: 2.125" (5.4 cm)
Depth: 2.125" (5.4 cm)

If I sing like I normally would (about 2/3 feet away from the microphone) then I can't hear my voice when I play it back - I have to amplify it to about +20db and then I get a LOAD of hiss in the background.

If I sing right into the microphone ( 2/3 cm away from the microphone) then I can hear my voice fine with little or no background hiss. Should I have to sing this close? What about when I want to record guitar?

Am I doing something majorly wrong??
#2January 9th, 2009 · 02:25 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
It's sound like your preamp or Di settings, if your not using one that's your problem, you need to boost the mic signal, this is quite normal. If the settings are too high on your DI/preamp you will get hiss from them, just turn up the gain until the point just before the hiss kicks in. If the recording levels is too low this will effect the overall dynamics, but it's unlikly if your using a preamp, should give you ample amplification.

Getting too close will increase the bass frequences and lessen the high's, the secret is to find the point where they are ballanced, in other words you won't have to alter the eq too much on mix down. Too much manipulation can ruin a recording. So Always try to get the best recording without having to rely on manipulating the sound afterwards.

If your still having problems, let me know your set-up.

Denis
#3January 9th, 2009 · 07:04 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I did some reading on this mic.. this was the most informative link I found.. the mic seems to be pretty cool. it does take some adjusting though to fine tune it with the software.. it does not need a preamp . it has a preamp built into it..  read this link and take from it what you can. I hope this helps some.

http://www.macintouch.com/samsonc01u.html
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 9:16 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.