#1October 30th, 2005 · 01:21 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Cubase SX MIDI help needed
I cannot record MIDI in Cubase SX. Very frustrated!

Ok here's the setup...
Starting with keyboard(Yamaha PSR-320)
1. local off selected
2. keyboard out selected
3. song out selected (manual say ch 13 is best for this function)
4. MIDI cable In plugged into MIDI out port on keyboard
5. MIDI cable Out plugged into MIDI in port on keyboard

Next, MIDI cable: (Turtle Beach)
1. Connected to keyboard as per instructions and USB port on computer.
2. Ran MIDI play test and played from computer to keyboard
3. Computer device manager says MIDI cable is working fine
4. Green activity input lights flash when keyboard is turned on
5. Green activity input/output lights stays on when playing/recording keyboard onto software

Last, recording/editing software (Cubase SX 1.0 installed in Windows XP)
1. Cubase recognizes MIDI cable.
2. Turtle Beach cable selected as MIDI In in Cubase
3. Computer soundcard (Aureal) selected as MIDI out
   (also experimented with every other MIDI out choice given by Cubase and did not work in playback)
4. MIDI Thru is activated.
5. Channel 13 is activated as per keyboard manual
6. MIDI device manager is selected as psr-320 yamaha and Turtle Beach MIDI cable
7. Ran play test thru Cubase and it played on the keyboard correctly
8. Record is Enabled
9. Parameters are set from 1 to 180 (0:01sec to 6 min)
10. Clicking Record button and then playing on keyboard

There are no input levels occuring when I play keyboard and it is not recording.
Everything seems to be working fine, but obviously it's not.
What am I missing?
Thanks

Hope this fits in Recording forum
#2November 24th, 2005 · 07:18 AM
8 threads / 7 songs
113 posts
Bangladesh
Cubase MIDI recording weirdness...
I just recently had a similar problem, however in Cubase SX 2.0, which sounds like it is very similar to what is going on here. I don't know any of the details about the differences between SX 1.0 and 2.0 but my guess is that they would be fairly similar, therefore, there is a good chance that what I have done could work for you too.

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to MIDI so I'll just state what I did to get recording working, and what I think I learnt in the process.

In the menu  File -> Preferences -> MIDI -> MIDI Filter the options that Cubase has presented are quite ambiguous, having some strange default values. There are two lists containing checkboxes namely for Record and Thru, that correspond to various MIDI events. The way I have interpreted them is that when a box is checked, this means that Cubase is "blocking" that MIDI event, not allowing it to come through. For some strange reason, the following check boxes were checked by default:

Note
PolyPressure
Program Change
Aftertouch
Pitch Bend

So basically what this meant was that as soon as I hit record, no useful MIDI information was coming through. Here's what my preferences look like now, just unchecked all the boxes, MIDI recording all working now.

Also, I remember having some dramas with those 1-16 channel buttons. Its hard to tell whether they are checked or not because of their weird colour. I figure the way I have them as in the pic is unchecked meaning that when checked, Cubase blocks MIDI events from the selected channel. If I remember correctly, most of these boxes were in fact checked thus blocking MIDI events from most channels.

You may notice that in the Controller filter box I have added an AllNoteOff filter. What this is doing is blocking this event from coming through because I found that my controller keyboard was sending an AllNoteOff message whenever a note was finished which was causing Hold not to work. Annoying particularly when you're trying to play a soft piano synth.

So anyway, kind of a long post but I hope my recent limited experience with MIDI and Cubase is of use to someone and in particular I hope this solves your (CreativeControl's) MIDI problem. 
#3November 25th, 2005 · 12:17 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
WOW, thanks for the pic and everything. I'll check it out. Thanks again!
#4November 26th, 2005 · 05:41 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
yes filter = blockage

and you should maybe upg to a newer version of cubase? whew, 1.0 is so old... dang I know that if you "ask around" and or "know where to look" you can find at least Cubase SX 3.0

so see if you or one of your friend can scrounge it up in the bitstorm and if you can't figure it out after i dropped all those hints then you're on your own! lol though Cubase SX sure beats the hell out of regular Cubase 1.0 and Cubasis

oh and another thing... i never use my MIDI from my keyboard - i suppose maybe i should... but i never do... i just use Direct In for my keyboard because i really don't have any particular sounds in my computer that are really any better than the sounds in my keyboard, esp when it comes to piano. the only real reason i could think of to use MIDI would be for simple transcription - if you need to write out a lick on music paper - cuz you can do that with Cubase (and Finale too by the way)
#5November 28th, 2005 · 12:43 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
entheon wrote…
and you should maybe upg to a newer version of cubase? whew, 1.0 is so old... dang I know that if you "ask around" and or "know where to look" you can find at least Cubase SX 3.0

so see if you or one of your friend can scrounge it up in the bitstorm and if you can't figure it out after i dropped all those hints then you're on your own! lol though Cubase SX sure beats the hell out of regular Cubase 1.0 and Cubasis

Yeah, I hear ya.
#6November 28th, 2005 · 05:41 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
entheon wrote…
oh and another thing... i never use my MIDI from my keyboard - i suppose maybe i should... but i never do... i just use Direct In for my keyboard because i really don't have any particular sounds in my computer that are really any better than the sounds in my keyboard, esp when it comes to piano. the only real reason i could think of to use MIDI would be for simple transcription - if you need to write out a lick on music paper - cuz you can do that with Cubase (and Finale too by the way)

still it's a great idea to *always* record midi notes and for playback route them back to the best sound module you have (in this case: keyboard) so you can edit and quantize the midi information and change your actual sound afterwards, or layer it with other sounds without having to play the whole part again and again. I recommend ALWAYS record your midi data. because once you've recorded the actual sound, there's nothing you can do to change it and that can be very frustrating - if you only make 1 little mistake in an otherwise great take... ykwim.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 16th, 2024 · 6:43 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.