#1May 5th, 2008 · 07:47 PM
35 threads / 26 songs
107 posts
United States of America
Recording Drums on one mic
Hey, I havn't been here in a while, but how do you record drums on one mic? I have a four piece set and I use Audacity and have one jack for a mic on my computer... thanks

-Daniel
#2May 7th, 2008 · 11:41 PM
51 threads / 31 songs
114 posts
United States of America
The way I do it with almost the exact same set up is I stick the mic right above the head of the drummer and have them play about 15-20 seconds for a test. Once you find a decent position I don't worry too much from there. Ideally you would want to have a mic for each individual beating surface but since you only have one just try to record it so all of them are even or however you want it. If you can't seem to get it right try moving everything into another room. Which reminds me of a Frank Zappa story. I think I read somewhere that certain pieces of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica were recorded in all different parts of the house, saxophone in one room, drums in another, etc...
#3May 8th, 2008 · 02:26 AM
35 threads / 26 songs
107 posts
United States of America
Bass4YourFace wrote…
The way I do it with almost the exact same set up is I stick the mic right above the head of the drummer and have them play about 15-20 seconds for a test. Once you find a decent position I don't worry too much from there. Ideally you would want to have a mic for each individual beating surface but since you only have one just try to record it so all of them are even or however you want it. If you can't seem to get it right try moving everything into another room. Which reminds me of a Frank Zappa story. I think I read somewhere that certain pieces of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica were recorded in all different parts of the house, saxophone in one room, drums in another, etc...

k, what type of mic do you use?? I use a regular mic that you would use to sing into, is that good??
#4May 10th, 2008 · 09:10 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
If you want to do a decent recording, you need min of 3 mics, kick and two overhead, if your just doing it for fun, then it doesn't really matter.

Cheers

Denis
#5May 11th, 2008 · 03:11 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
you only have one mic.  So the best way is for you to experiment. Try putting the mic in all kinds of different places,  midway in front of the kit,  same for in back of the kit, try it above in different locations.  you might even try laying a piece of plywood down in front of the kick drum and laying the mic just to the outside edge of that( heard a decent drum mix done this way). 

When you only have one mic you will have to work a lot harder to get a decent drum mix/sound, but even in a situation where you have a bunch of drum mics you still have to work at it to get decent drum sounds.
#6May 11th, 2008 · 04:10 PM
51 threads / 31 songs
114 posts
United States of America
LynyrdSkynyrdFan wrote…
Bass4YourFace wrote…

k, what type of mic do you use?? I use a regular mic that you would use to sing into, is that good??

I use a thirty dollar mic purchased at best buy. I don't remember all the specifics, but it's probably classified as a crappy vocal mic. I'm not too concerned about it though, there's a bunch of low-fi legends out there to idolize.
#7March 6th, 2009 · 01:55 PM
31 threads / 20 songs
96 posts
Canada
You would want to use a condenser microphone versus a dynamic microphone.
To simplify it, the major difference is the microphone sensitivity and polar patterns most often.

A cheap but good one is X-Q from naiant.com (~30$).

Please note condensers 99% of time require phantom power, so be prepared to buy a board or a pre-amp.

Then you just take the mic, put it on a mic stand and put it behind the drummer, above, and pointing at the drums.
#8January 24th, 2012 · 01:24 PM
4 threads
28 posts
Bangladesh
That I know for any stage show you must need minimum 2 mic for 4 set. One for kick another on the top middle but better is 3 for 4 set drums.
Or if you use it just for experiment then it ok.........

Are you looking for Music or Musician!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 3:11 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.