#1October 9th, 2007 · 03:56 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
profuse uploading error
i'm so terribly sorry that my very first returned-from-canada post is a complaint.  i apologize.  but as i tried to upload a song just today, it repeatedly tells me that i've already got a song with the same name.  now, given, the song i'm uploading is a new version of one of my old ones, but the server shouldn't know the difference because the file has a different name, and i've entered a unique name into the "song title" text box of the upload page.

at any rate, it's a pretty annoying process of waiting until the whole darn'd thing is uploaded before it decides to let me know that i've just been had.

i'm not on the inside of this tech experience, so i can't give any proper diagnosis... my first upload attempt's file name was identical to the old file name up until the last few characters of the name, but if the server's only checking out to the first 32 chars or something, that might have initially triggered the error.  for all i know, there are like 5 copies of the song uploaded to the server, yet none of them was ever successful because of the error.

might we consider having the server decide if it's a duplicate or not BEFORE the long upload wait?  it really shouldn't be too much of a tweak to the code.  i mean, it's already got your file name and desired "song title".  it's been a long night.  i need caffine.  bye.
#2October 9th, 2007 · 05:20 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
hey, TLS here, just talking to myself.  so the upload is working alright now.  i tried it again without any magical punctuation or other disctracting symbols, and it went through this time.  i doubt that the problem actually resided in the fact that there was a duplicate song listed.  it's probably pitching that error out of a default case statement... would there be a way to detect punctuation, like double or single quotes?  that would be really user-friendly.  either that or just straight up tell the user on the upload page not to do stuff like that.

later guys

TLS
#3October 10th, 2007 · 07:21 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
welcome back TLS
Long time since we've heard from you
#4October 10th, 2007 · 09:40 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
it's good to be back let's rock this joint!
#5October 10th, 2007 · 04:23 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
The sever hates anything other than letters of the alphabet, the moment you try to put any symbols, it don't like it. Although forward slash I think is OK.

Denis
#6October 29th, 2007 · 05:03 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
The sever hates anything other than letters of the alphabet, the moment you try to put any symbols, it don't like it. Although forward slash I think is OK.

Denis

Hmm.... never realized that... I'll have to take a look into it, because it really should allow you to use whatever characters you want... It would be cool to get russian/spanish/ariabian/ect (UTF- characters working as well. But that's another problem, for another day.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 9:02 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.