#1August 11th, 2005 · 01:17 PM
6 threads / 4 songs
19 posts
United States of America
File not valid
whenever i try to upload a song, it says "file not a valid .mp3", when the file i'm trying to upload defintely is a valid mp3. the song is under 5 mb also. is there any way i can get a song up on the site?
#2August 11th, 2005 · 05:47 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Is there anywhere you could upload the song, so we could see what the problem is? I'm sure it's an MP3... but there may be some problem with the encoding that doesnt allow UNIX to know whether it's an MP3 or not... Anyways, if you could upload it somewhere for us to check out, that would be great...
#3August 11th, 2005 · 07:30 PM
6 threads / 4 songs
19 posts
United States of America
hey, the file is uploaded at www.purevolume.com/pinktiefridays. it's the first song on the player, but the other two on the site don't work either. i encoded the mp3s using iTunes.

thanks alot, i appreciate it!
#4August 12th, 2005 · 08:33 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
oi.  it may not be itunes' fault, but i wouldn't be suprised if it is.  iTunes like to "DRM" the files... ie: tag them with it's own methods that make it look "protected" or otherwise owned by itunes.

if i had a choice, i'd use a different program, like dbPowerAMP or some other free mp3 encoder with the LAME_ENC.dll file.  if you've got any questions about doing it a different way, someone here would be more than happy to explain it.

i don't mean to treat you as if you don't know how to do it, but i'm just trying to be helpful and open at the same time!
#5August 12th, 2005 · 10:10 AM
6 threads / 4 songs
19 posts
United States of America
thanks for the advice, but i just tried encoding the track with dbPowerAMP and uploading it, with the same "file not valid" result.
#6August 12th, 2005 · 11:26 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
ah
okay, i was mainly curious about it.  it makes me feel better about iTunes though

k, i downloaded the version from purevolume and i can't really see anything wrong with the file...  i'm not sure what sort of thing would make the bandamp server think that it's got issues.  perhaps mud will be able to do more for you from his end.

sorry it's not working so well for you!

just curious, does the error happen AFTER you uploaded the file, or like... a little ways into it, or at the beginning?  the only thought that comes to mind (i'm not saying this is it, but it remains a possibility) that maybe the file is being corrupted when it's being uploaded...

that's not so common in the days of highspeed internet and broadband connections though.

are you on a modem by any chance?  i used to be on one and it gave me grief a lot.

if you're not, i'm at a loss for the moment!  sorry abou the problems!
#7August 12th, 2005 · 01:38 PM
6 threads / 4 songs
19 posts
United States of America
i'm assuming that there's an upload window that pops up and shows you progress on the upload (at least that's what happens on most other sites), but i never get up to that point. i click upload, then the browser works for maybe 10 seconds, and then the error message pops up.

i'm using a cable modem, broadband.

thanks for the concern.. hopefully this gets sorted out.
#8August 12th, 2005 · 01:48 PM
6 threads / 4 songs
19 posts
United States of America
hey! it turns out that the problem was that i was using mozilla firefox as my web browser, i switched to internet explorer and the upload worked fine.

so everyone keep in mind that uploading is incompatible with firefox.
#9August 12th, 2005 · 04:34 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
mikefromPTF wrote…
hey! it turns out that the problem was that i was using mozilla firefox as my web browser, i switched to internet explorer and the upload worked fine.

so everyone keep in mind that uploading is incompatible with firefox.

Weird... uploading works fine on my version of FireFox...

It's on a mac though, what version of FireFox are you running?
#10August 12th, 2005 · 07:16 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
hmmm... yeah i don't think everyone should keep in mind that Firefox is automatically not able to upload mp3s... it could have just been your version of Firefox on your local box... iirc the one song i uploaded i did with firefox on windows and it worked fine... so... just a thought... i dunno
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 10:21 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.