#1December 14th, 2007 · 08:56 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
RSS Feed
I'm just getting into the RSS feed thing, I'm always slow with these things. lol
I was about to post 'I thought there were RSS Feed buttons on bandAmp pages?'
But having scrolled down to write this Voila! Theres one right there at the bottom of the page.
But I Dont Want An RSS Feed From This Page, I Want An RSS Feed From The 'Resent Posts' Page.....
BUT THERE IS NO RSS FEED BUTTON ON THE RECENT POSTS PAGE!

HELP ?

Something else : Why cant the names of the member who last posted be displayed on the "Recent Posts" and "Resent Threads" pages ?
It's simple to implement, just stick the php last posted call after the date, it doesn't need a new column.
#2December 15th, 2007 · 05:31 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
mm.. putting the member name on the recent posts would be nice, though it might clutter up the display a little.  it would have to be low-impact... like... a faint font color or something easy on the eyes like that.

as for RSS dealio.. they're written to feed you info on the individual forums, but the Recent Post column on the home page is a hybrid of all the forums.. it's just showing recent activity on them all.

granted, at the very worst, this means that an Admin will have to create a new RSS feed that reads off of the Recent Post column once it's been constructed by the server.  The info is already there for the RSS to be built... Post name, link to the thread, and username (if implamented).

not a big stretch of the mind, i suppose.  I'll promote it for you, too, if you want   We've got an 0-in-1 record so far, with this lyrics tab, but that won't stop me from trying another frontier!

TLS
#3December 15th, 2007 · 05:40 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Cheers TLS, I sort of gathered as much with the Recent Posts page, though is is created from script it still has a template somewhere that can be updated.
I should put these on the ideas and suggestions thread I suppose.
#4December 15th, 2007 · 05:43 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
this is very true--- it might be more likely to be responded to
#5December 17th, 2007 · 12:03 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Alright so who's in charge of the programming? Jimk is capable of granting access to the code AFAIK so maybe kings would wanna take a peek?
#6December 17th, 2007 · 05:34 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
peek a boo 

I wanted to say cheers but no cheers, but having thought about it, if 'the Amp' in general is OK with me sorting it out, I'd love to, even if it took me a month to implement something at least it would be quicker than the 'implementing' going on now. lol
According to Avi its a mess, according to FF there are errors, from what I've seen a lot of the code is copied and pasted and not always properly. CSS rules in capital letters and normal type, sometimes missing essential semi colons.
The truth is, it cant be that bad, because Muds made an excellent job at setting up the whole thing and it works, but if members actually want to see a few of our 'good ideas' being put to work then Yes I can do that.
I don't know if I can get things like battles to work properly, I presume processes like that need a good bit of understanding.
Going off on what SS mentioned some time back, if JimK sends me a copy of bandAmp in a folder I could indeed host it at bandamp.us , I wouldn't need the database as no-one could post, it would simply be there for members to see and comment on, which could be done on the forums there or here.

PX : you been getting into Scarface recently then? 

TLS , I like the idea of a light gray posters name, low-key as you say! Soft on the old eyes! 
#7December 17th, 2007 · 06:47 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
just to pitch in on the thing about the CSS... kings, you are very very right--- it's not exactly "proper" in it's coding anymore.  i noticed lots of places in the styling on the html pages where multiple elements are labeled with the same "id" type, which is a tidiness no-no.  you ought to use "classes" if you've got multiple elements with the same styling, and NOT make such elements get called by the same "id"  (differenciated by a "#" and a "." for "id" and "class", respectively).

just a random thing i noticed, again, while doing the FAQ rewrite.
#8December 18th, 2007 · 05:08 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TLS Yes, I know just what you mean , though this site works fine, it is indeed untidy in its core, it needs refining.
I read your post on the Bug?? thread too
It would be interesting to see how the site would function if all the unnecessary mistakes were taken out?
I'll see if I have time to go through the CSS files sometime soon, I can send a copy of these files to JimK who could upload them to the server if he was happy with them.
Actual functions and processes need the 'real' PHP scripts as you know.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 1:09 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.