1 2

#1May 10th, 2010 · 11:06 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Fluid Site Width
Hey guys, I was just thinking about how awesome it would be if bandamp were a fluid-width site, because that way it would expand to fill our screens (meaning that the whole site wouldn't be just in the middle - it would expand to fill the whole width of the screen). 

Most people are using widescreen screens these days, with larger resolution, so it would be nice to utilize that screen real estate on bandamp! we should keep everything the same, but just make it so it will expand to all of our screen.

For an example, check out http://www.insanelymac.com/.
On the top right, you can change the video from Fixed Width to Full-screen (fluid width).  that's what I wish we could do with Bandamp!

Anyways, maybe tonightslastsong could do something.
#2May 10th, 2010 · 12:49 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
that sounds awesome.
i know triton is the new "head-mod" around here now i think and hes been fiddlin with the site here and there, maybe he can take a go at it?
#3May 10th, 2010 · 04:52 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
It certainly makes reading easier, once ya past forty like me,  your reading vision deterioates. lol
Thank God for SEPCS
#4May 11th, 2010 · 05:06 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Actually I like the setup like this, it makes it way more focused.. I can't stay on forums that fill the screen side to side.. The setup like this is more like a book page... and gives the amp is unique flavor... But its a matter of taste. Maybe having different layouts optional is an idea...
#5May 11th, 2010 · 06:55 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
There should definitely at least be a choice at the top.
#6May 11th, 2010 · 07:34 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
this is kind of reminscant of the project TLS was working on...with options to change your theme...we should have at least have an option to choose the way things are laid out.

oh well...at least the amp works and is alive... its not that big of a deal
#7May 12th, 2010 · 01:37 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Actually I just came to me, why I like it like this. Because the sides of the screen aren't being used, one needs far less eye movements to read all of the text on a page, so one doesn't tire as quickly. But again, options would be nice. Not sure whether this is easy to implement at all, TK might have a technical answer to that.
#8May 12th, 2010 · 03:57 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Everything is possible, even screen width working. Cause it's hard coded somewhere in the sources and css files it's not easy to change the view. I did spend some thoughts to this times ago, but I would categorize this request / idea far down on the list. (too difficult for me)

In this case another idea comes up to my mind:
I remember mud & co talked about to "wiki" the site.
That means visibilty to
- program code (PHP, Javascripts, CSS, ...)
- files and their relations (their meanings and structure)
- database overview and structure
- file system on server (structure)
- services on server (OS, Webserver, Mailservices, Firewall, ...)
- descriptions of access to external services and their functions (flow chart diagram)
- responsibilties (persons with their functions)
- availability of services
- Ideas / Feedback
- Legal Statements / Conventions
- ToDo-List (and WHO does it)
did I forget something?
and and and...  (hey is BandAMP going to be organized????)

That would give interested persons an (over-)view how BandAmp is organized / sorted

But I need help!!!

I don't have the time right now to research for how to init wiki, maybe someone else does it!?
#9May 12th, 2010 · 06:27 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I like the Wiki idea....so the whole site, server, etc must be audited for it to have a Wiki "page" ?
I like this challenge ! lol

I must agree with PX on the site layout, though there was talk of giving users the choice of layout, to be saved in a cookie, sort of themes idea. That's a really cool idea...but I wouldn't want the Amp just to change from this format with no way back.
As it is it's very pleasant and easy on the eye and mind, it's not overcrowded on a page, and it is indeed like a book with less eye and head movement. 

My experience with trying to make pages for wide screens and small screens is that everything needs to be positioned specifically to stop elements pushing other elements out of the way when it moves, and also some elements need to be positioned absolute putting them on top of other elements which can look darn ugly when the page is re-sized.

I like the fixed width.

You could download the css and the html pages , put them in an editor and see what you can change on the page with just the css, a bit like the zengarden and mySpace...you know .div div div div tr td td td ul li a:hover {color: left 3px on tuesdays}
#10May 12th, 2010 · 07:10 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
kings wrote…
I like the Wiki idea....so the whole site, server, etc must be audited for it to have a Wiki "page" ?

That was the idea indeed, yep... This has almost been done by me. But some questions are still unanswered. I installed and started a local webserver to host those informations with some flat html files. In the moment it's just for my personal purposes to organize the programmings (what have I done and why and how), to write down structure informations, and to remind the to-do-list. Maybe I could raise the server to a public level one day.
#11May 12th, 2010 · 08:31 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Just thinking - I could probably make a Greasemonkey script or a Firefox addon to customize the way that it looks without u guys having to actually change anything.

I'll play around in Firebug and see what I can do.
#12May 12th, 2010 · 08:42 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
If all these things (site server info) are in place then we can "apply" to write a Wiki BandAmp page ?
There are a few members who could write a decent explanation of the site.

I must admit though TK that I'm a bit lost when it comes to terms like "raise server to public level", "an open source site", a "dot org" setup and making bandAmp a charity...though I understand the words, I have no idea what they mean in the everyday reality of the site or how we actually get the site there and through these transitions!
#13May 12th, 2010 · 09:29 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
simply by changing a few variables under the Skeleton DIV (basically, removing the width variable), I was able to get the header to sort of go Variable-width.

This is fluid width header when i reduce the window size to make it the same size as the way that bandamp looks right now:

This is the fluid width header when i expand the window size a bit:

lol - its very debauched - mostly because that black sidebar thing that rounds out the right side of the page won't move with the header - it probably moves with the body DIV, so i'll have to see if i can make the body variable width as soon as i can..

Also, the little GIF or PNG graphic that is right below those nav buttons on the right side doesn't actually float with them - it is centered on the page - so i'll have to make it float right instead.  I'll post updates on any progress that I make.
#14May 12th, 2010 · 09:48 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
thebigguyconnor wrote…
simply by changing a few variables under the Skeleton DIV (basically, removing the width variable), I was able to get the header to sort of go Variable-width.

This is fluid width header when i reduce the window size to make it the same size as the way that bandamp looks right now:

lol - its very debauched - mostly because that black sidebar thing that rounds out the right side of the page won't move with the header - it probably moves with the body DIV, so i'll have to see if i can make the body variable width as soon as i can..

Also, the little GIF or PNG graphic that is right below those nav buttons on the right side doesn't actually float with them - it is centered on the page - so i'll have to make it float right instead.  I'll post updates on any progress that I make.

LOL see what I mean! And remember it is a forum script, so the page you have is not the page that it is !!
Working with the css and the !important command would do it.
A modded css file can be useful, share it, implement it under a themes function 
#15May 12th, 2010 · 11:00 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
kings wrote…
thebigguyconnor wrote…

LOL see what I mean! And remember it is a forum script, so the page you have is not the page that it is !!
Working with the css and the !important command would do it.
A modded css file can be useful, share it, implement it under a themes function  :roll:

I'm not changing the HTML, I'm changing the CSS.  I know it's a forum script, but if you implement this css file, it should make it work.  The main problem is worrying about how to make a scripted link to switch the css file that the forum script is using.

By the way - I fixed the image links, so you should be able to see the images now.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 9:32 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.