#1May 6th, 2009 · 12:23 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Front Page Welcome message
I just happened to actually read the Welcome message on the front page and read to my suprise :

BandAMP™ provides a friendly community of musicians who challenge each other in the desire to improve.

This sentence is not correct , it needs a ....provides.....with something........at the end.
like .......BandAMP™ provides a friendly community of musicians who challenge each other in the desire to improve.....a chance to win an Xbox.     (thats a new model of neck-less bass by the way)

or

It needs to be : BandAMP™ provides a friendly community FOR musicians TO challenge each other in the desire to improve.

At least the 'ect' has gone lol
#2May 6th, 2009 · 01:06 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hmm nitpicky of grammar issues are you?  But WE ARE a friendly community of musicians who challenge eachother in a desire to improve. Omitted from the sentence is: "BandAMP™ provides (visitors/the web) a friendly community..." There's a difference in interpreting the phrase!
#3May 6th, 2009 · 01:28 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
also bandamp should be intereperted by one and all....be it a spammer, a music agent, a spammer...more people who want to join the community....

i barely read anything on the front page lol
#4May 6th, 2009 · 02:26 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
PuppetXeno wrote…
Hmm nitpicky of grammar issues are you?
Well yes....because it's meant to be English....and it's the front page of an English American site !!!

If you wrote it PX I'm sorry I didn't mean to step on your toes and I know your a reporter with degrees en' all....but it just doesn't read right......in English.
I do and did see the ..........provides (you the user WITH) a friendly community of musicians who challenge each other in the desire to improve.
But it's not the right way of putting it....provides must be another word...
And I've had to add a 'with' to that sentence to make it right too. 

You've been to my site PX, I do have a Dutch translation, text editing/correction service and I have had to write my own translations for all the voiceover work I did for the KLM. So yea! It's got to sound right to these ears.
#5May 6th, 2009 · 03:10 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Lol.. I actually went to look this up, I figured maybe there was a difference between American english and British english regarding the verb "provide".

And guess what... There is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences#Transitivity
wiki wrote…
provide: Strictly monotransitive in BrE, monotransitive or ditransitive in AmE (provide sb with sth/provide sb sth).

So it's basically grammatically correct;

Monostransitive: BandAMP provides X; Ditransitive BandAMP provides Y with X

Or am I screwing up now.. lol
#6May 6th, 2009 · 06:57 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Very good PX ! your research is excellent !

Then it falls in the same category as 'write', it bugs me so much when I hear people say "I write someone" instead of saying 'write to...',

lol.... I can read it as much as i like it still seams too short and skew .... dont worry I'll get over it !
#7May 24th, 2009 · 08:34 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
....and to win a BandAmp-Box!!!

Win the contest and you'll get a Pro-Box for free!!!!
#8May 24th, 2009 · 11:26 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
errr me no pick an inglich but a picka my nose....
#9May 24th, 2009 · 12:57 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Marino wrote…
errr me no pick an inglich but a picka my nose....
With a pick ? 
#10May 25th, 2009 · 04:12 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
I vote for "BANDAMP!!! There can be only one!!!!!!!  jk...but yeah... who does make these decisions? Wording and such?  Seems alot if it falls on TLS... what labor there is in maintaining this place should be divided if possible... imho... Kings seems on the ball with that kind o stuff... And im betting hes active enough to keep the place dynamic .  I do so get weary seeing the same text day in and day out when I come through... KINGS for president!!!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 3:26 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.