#1March 16th, 2008 · 12:11 AM
1 threads
United States of America
Asus2...Which is the right one?
One site tells me that the Asus2 chord looks like this: x02200

Another says that the chord looks like this: 002230

So which one is right? Or are they both, with the second one having a fuller tone?
#2March 16th, 2008 · 12:16 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
The second looks like an Asus4 to me, because you're striking D on the 2nd string (4th of A) instead of B (2nd of A).

I may be wrong tho.   Hope to see you around.
#3March 17th, 2008 · 12:03 AM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Well, it looks to me as if the second example is not the Asus2. However, they both probably sound almost identical, and either will work perfectly well. Play them, see what happens, see what you like, use whichever one you want.
#4March 17th, 2008 · 10:28 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I've never heard of Asus2, I've heard of Asus4???

The first one is A+9 [basically A major with a the 9th note of the scale added], the second is Asus4.

Again Asus4 is just Amajor chord with the 4th note in the scale, the sus stands for suspended, it is quite effective alternating between the sus4 and standard major chord, giving it the name as it implies 'Suspended'

The first chord of 'It's been a hard days night' , by 'The Beatles' is a sus4 chord, but in a bar shape.

Also if you play a standard D 000232 then Dsus4 000233, very common, but  very effective.

Cheers

Denis

Edit: Just saw this, may help
http://www.guitarnoise.com/faq.php?id=91
#5March 17th, 2008 · 02:06 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Hey Denis, I have a question.

The first chord has no 3rd and instead of it it uses the 2nd.  So it can't be A9 cause that one would use also the 3rd right?  For what i know a suspended chord replaces the third with the second (sus2) or the forth (sus4)
#6March 18th, 2008 · 05:31 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
aetheris wrote…

The first chord has no 3rd and instead of it it uses the 2nd.  So it can't be A9 cause that one would use also the 3rd right?  For what i know a suspended chord replaces the third with the second (sus2) or the forth (sus4)

Check the link I put in the above post.

I have used this particular chord in many of my songs, it's one of my favourites, in fact I named one of them after it, which is simply called Alpha 9.

Quite simply the second open string played is a B, which is the 9th note in the scale of A

If anybody wants help with chords I'm your man.

Cheers

Denis
#7March 18th, 2008 · 01:07 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Denis wrote…
aetheris wrote…

I have used this particular chord in many of my songs, it's one of my favourites, in fact I named one of them after it, which is simply called Alpha 9.

Quite simply the second open string played is a B, which is the 9th note in the scale of A

Cheers

Denis

lol i missed the link the first time.

But now i have even more doubts, because acording to the article that chord would be Asus2, since it's missing the third (C#) and even the seventh (G). 

This is a voicing of an Aadd9, where he's still not playing the 7th but at least the 3rd:
E - open
B - open
G - 6th fret (C#)
D - 7th fret (A)
A - open
E - don't play

Now, for what i understand Aadd9 is the same as A2. It's just not "suspended" until the 3rd is missing.

EDIT: yes, B is the 9th in the scale of A, but it's also the 2nd no? 
#8March 18th, 2008 · 07:01 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
aetheris wrote…
Denis wrote…
aetheris wrote…

Cheers

Denis

lol i missed the link the first time.

But now i have even more doubts, because acording to the article that chord would be Asus2, since it's missing the third (C#) and even the seventh (G). 

This is a voicing of an Aadd9, where he's still not playing the 7th but at least the 3rd:
E - open
B - open
G - 6th fret (C#)
D - 7th fret (A)
A - open
E - don't play

Now, for what i understand Aadd9 is the same as A2. It's just not "suspended" until the 3rd is missing.

EDIT: yes, B is the 9th note in the scale of A, but it's also the 2nd no?  :razz:

Yes and Yes simply put the Sus2 is the second note in the A Scale a 'B', which so happens to be the 9th note an octive higher which obviously is also a 'B'

Your quite right about the sevenths not being played in which case you would normaly see the chord written A9 as apposed to Aadd9 or A+9 in this case, they are two separate chords. So A9 would generally have the seventh played.

There is no rule for chords really. the main thing is to get a good sound, especially the guitar, you can create things that you don't find in books, it's great fun.
#9April 7th, 2008 · 03:03 AM
10 threads / 9 songs
35 posts
United States of America
re: Asus2...Which is the right one?
cTuck wrote…
One site tells me that the Asus2 chord looks like this: x02200

Another says that the chord looks like this: 002230

So which one is right? Or are they both, with the second one having a fuller tone?

The first one is Asus2
The second one is Asus4

after a while you can tell what they sound like...

think about it like this... music is always trying to get to the major third which would be conventional 002220, so if you play a sus4 or sus2 its just making tension to get to the major third. Tension and release is what music is all about.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: July 27th, 2024 · 4:19 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.
Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/bandamp/sess_g29703tl0ev8a3e9birn8pdga0, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp/bandamp) in Unknown on line 0