#1June 21st, 2011 · 06:21 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
net versus a face
if u want to learn theory ......... see a human expert with a piano .....

pragmatic fish
#2July 25th, 2011 · 05:59 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
I've tried many times to learn theory from books and t'internet.... I don't seem to have the patience.  I really want to have a better idea of theory so that my guitar playing/song writing can expand (ok, old git - new tricks).
For me, I think the only way to go is in a face-to-face lesson with a real person - they may have a guitar and not a piano.
We'll see
(btw Mr Fish, you're a music teacher aren't you?)
#3January 20th, 2012 · 08:46 AM
4 threads
28 posts
Bangladesh
I also support face to face to learn anything. whenever its music or about any Music Instrument we must follow the way face to face to learn.
#4January 20th, 2012 · 04:00 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Jiminuk wrote…
I've tried many times to learn theory from books and t'internet.... I don't seem to have the patience.  I really want to have a better idea of theory so that my guitar playing/song writing can expand (ok, old git - new tricks).
For me, I think the only way to go is in a face-to-face lesson with a real person - they may have a guitar and not a piano.
We'll see
(btw Mr Fish, you're a music teacher aren't you?)
You are welcome to come round my gaff for a few tips, riffs and tricks, warm ups, scales, incredible chords, set-up to your preference, tone, and much much more
#5January 22nd, 2012 · 05:13 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Denis wrote…
You are welcome to come round my gaff for a few tips, riffs and tricks, warm ups, scales, incredible chords, set-up to your preference, tone, and much much more ;)
I genuinely appreciate the offer Denis - I guess the thing for me is not so much the warm-ups and scales (and yes, I know do know some amazing sounding chords), but a real understanding of music theory.  I want to learn about the different scale types and how to easily recognise the key a song is played in.  Now if you can do that, then I feel a trip to East-London in the near future!
#6January 22nd, 2012 · 11:56 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Face to face is great, but in the end it is up to the student to learn it, and utilize it.  Instructors can show and teach me a certain mode, scale, melody/ harmonies, Its up to me to learn it and utilize it. Ie. Modes, modes are usually taught in one key (normally based off of the C major scale) its up to me to practice and apply the modes to other keys, and practice them on whatever instrument I'm playing.

The teacher is great to keep you guided, and to be taught, in incremental steps , that causes growth of knowledge and ability. It's the fastest way to progress.
#7July 13th, 2012 · 11:22 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
simple and you'll learn a lot plus some great examples taken from some cool jazz pieces.

you want to learn theory that you can use and understand

Mark Levine's  Jazz Theory Book. 

when I stepped back and started to try to relearn most of the stuff I had forgotten.  My guitar teacher ran this book off for me... easy to understand, full of use full theory, and example of how it's applied in actual songs that used the lesson's application. 

even on the simple stuff like  intervals it gives song examples of each interval and how they were applied over certain chords for  a certain tonal center or flavor.

I took up piano again, it's easier to apply heavier theory IMHO  on the piano. then transfer it to guitar.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 10:27 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.