#1November 8th, 2009 · 11:15 PM
24 threads / 15 songs
160 posts
United States of America
what key is this progression in?
Me and my friend were jamming the other day on a weird pogression and we decided to make it to a song.
The basic progression is: Fdim7-Emaj7-Cmaj7-Bbm7. The problem is that I kinda find it hard to change it up a bit. So what key is this in? cause I think it would be easier for me to transition between parts of the song and have it easier for make the melody for the vocals.

I know I could go where ever I want to go with those, but I don't what it to make it more wierd to the ear. I want to have it atleast relatively close to the tonic. A pre-chorus I was thinking of and played for a bit was after the Bbm7, was to replace the seventh with a G natural. And play the progression Am-Bm-C#m-C#m7 with A on the pedal tone for the prechorus. But I think I could come up something better with that.

So yea....  Any suggestions where I could go from Fdim7-Emaj7-Cmaj7-Bbm7? and what key is it in? Thanks!
#2November 9th, 2009 · 06:46 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
To my ears it's Chromatic (tricky), but you could still use Bm6

The natural progession is taking me to  BbM7 AM7

Not sure what your goal is?, if you simply want to create a melody around the progression, sing along to it what comes natural.  Normally when I create  melody around a chord/s, I can hear what note/s stand out more within a given chord or progression, then work on it from there.

Hope that helps

#3November 10th, 2009 · 04:38 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
This is interesting.

To me it doesn't really sound like you're defining any key and if you need to ask what key you're in it's possible that you're not in any at all. Judging by the notes you're using I'd put you in Ab. In terms of where you could go I played around with Ab Gb Fdim7 Gb but if you voice the Ab and define you're key there then you can go just about anywhere. Good luck.

(remember that if we're just going by the notes you're using (Ab Bb B Cb C Db E F G) we could place you in a mode just as easily as a key. So you can mess around with Ab major, F minor, Bb dorian, etc. you get the picture.)
#4November 10th, 2009 · 07:52 PM
24 threads / 15 songs
160 posts
United States of America
okay thanks. I think you're right Denis... it is chromatic. I mean lol, I went every with the progression. The reason I wanted to know the keys was to make it easier for me to where to go.
I will def paly around with Ab Gb Fdim7 DTF. For the the chorus we decided to return Fdim7-Emaj7-Ebm7-G#m7.
#5November 11th, 2009 · 06:03 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Rapcloudstrife wrote…
okay thanks. I think you're right Denis... it is chromatic. I mean lol, I went every with the progression. The reason I wanted to know the keys was to make it easier for me to where to go.
I will def paly around with Ab Gb Fdim7 DTF. For the the chorus we decided to return Fdim7-Emaj7-Ebm7-G#m7.

Yeah Where to take it next indeed, so so important to make it flow.  Well I'm lucky, I play by ear, so my ears tell me...lol  It's also very important to be in a relaxed state, it makes you more aware, thus the more information entering your Brain/Soul the more fuel you get to your creative system.

Well that's what works for me, I suppose everyone has different ways to create music??.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 1:00 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.