#1October 24th, 2007 · 08:58 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Divisi stuff
If I play a concert D and someone plays a concert B flat what note would that be?
or is it just separate?
#2October 24th, 2007 · 10:26 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Depends on the instrument.  Flute plays normal, IIRC, clarinet a step lower etc. etc.
#3October 27th, 2007 · 12:35 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
ummm..just for flute i guess?
#4October 27th, 2007 · 01:46 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Flute is in Bb.

That means that if a piano played a "C" (Concert C), a Flute would have to play a "Bb" to get the same pitch.

Please, DO NOT ask me why it is set up this way. I have NO CLUE.

So anything on a Bb instrument is simply one whole step lower than concert pitch. A "G" on Trumpet is Concert "F"

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, though, so I'll leave it at that for now.
#5October 27th, 2007 · 01:50 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Oldies,flute is in c

I know.
Trumpet is B flat sax is in e flat I believe and piano also in c.

and I think I figured it out...I think its just a mini chord part of a big chord in the music.

edit:I've only heard of a c flute,but if there is a b flat flute,then thats wierd..maybe might be like the alto flute...
who knows?
#6October 27th, 2007 · 07:14 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America

All of the flutes in my school's band are in Bb. I believe they are alto flutes. I'm not an expert on woodwinds, but I'm sure on this. I can play the lower parts on trumpet
#7October 27th, 2007 · 07:16 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
are the flutes really big or what?

alto flutes have the diameter of a bout a 50 cent peice(i think)
I can only play up to high e flat on trumpet.even then my brain almost explodes....
#8October 28th, 2007 · 05:06 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Most flutes are tuned to C.  Alto flutes are not normal flutes.
#9November 1st, 2007 · 04:16 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
alto flutes=freak flutes..along with bass too
#10November 2nd, 2007 · 07:58 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Yup, my flute is tuned to C (but I can alter that by fiddling about with the stopper bit at the blowing end [all technical stuff from me ] if I really want to).

MeowMachine... impressive stuff on the trumpet; perhaps you'd better steer clear of the high Eb though.  The risk seriously outweighs the benefit on this one!!!

The concert tunings of instruments has always seemed odd to me... why have a concert piano tuned a semi-tone lower than a standard piano (which some are)?
#11November 2nd, 2007 · 07:43 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Something to do with the harmony of the way a concert group of instruments play together.  Something to do with that....
#12January 24th, 2008 · 04:55 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
ok, here's what I know.
Instruments that play a different note to sound the same as C are called transposing instrument, that is, they transpose one key signature to sound like another. I THINK this is largely to do with the way they're notated down on paper, and the clefs they use, so they don't use as many ledger lines.
So a Bb trumpet plays a Bb to sound like a C, and plays Bb major to the orchestra's C major, and same with any other key. A tone down. The Clarinet is Eb I think, and there's a few others, the double bass, for instance, is transposed up an octave, so that when it plays a C 1 octaves below middle, it sounds the C 2 octave below middle. At least I think that's right. It's all so they fit easily on the sheet music. It's probably a lot easier to play than it is to compose, I remember a few tests last year arranging transposing instruments and instead of writing for a tone below, I was writing for a tone above...
#13February 5th, 2008 · 04:03 AM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Divisi stuff
this article on transposing instruments useful i hope .........

http://www.answers.com/transposing+instrument?cat=entertainment&gwp=13

especially the why? bit....

fish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 8:38 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.