#1October 30th, 2005 · 08:42 AM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Song buildup
Well, I can see that some people need help building their songs, from what I see on the forums and on audio review. Unfortunately, I am not an expert on many styles of msuic, but I do know my way around oldies rock such as Led Zeppelin fairly well. So I start off.

Before you beging writing, you must know what you want each instrument to do. They must have specific jobs, but these of course can change during the song. Here is my list of what each instrument generally does:

Drums: obviously the drums are almost always playing rythm, although if you have a good player they are not limited to this.

Piano/Keyboard: The keyboard is one of the more versatile instruments. It is most often found playing a counter melody, but can also be used for rythm or melody.

Bass: The bass is not nearly as flexible as the keyboard, but just as usefull. So many good songs are ruined by underestimating the bass guitar. Basses are best for rythm and counter melodies (you'll find that rock tends to include a lot of counter melodies)

Lead Guitar: If there is a main melody to be found in rock, then it will be played by the lead guitar or keyboard. Guitar is just as versatile an instrument as the keyboard, although it can go in completely different directions. Guitar can be used for melody, counter melody, harmony, and rythm.

Backup guitar: the backup is equally usefull as lead, but not necessary. It can be used for everything the lead does except for melody.

Sorry that's all I have time for right now.
#2April 4th, 2006 · 09:41 AM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Countermelody
At the risk of sounding ignorant: What is a countermelody?
#3February 19th, 2007 · 04:26 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
If I may answer this...
A countermelody is a melody that is not the main melody, but played at the same time. Note: it is different to a harmony.

Example: A verse in a song has melodic vocals as the focus, ie has the main melody. Say the lead guitar is playing a riff. If it was played as loud as the vocals it would defeat the purpose of the melody. So it is turned down a little. It still has importance, and it is a melody, just not the main melody, so it is called a countermelody.

Fairly basic, but somethimes you miss these things. 

Cheers,

WB
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 10th, 2024 · 11:28 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.