169 posts
United States of America
billy rae who?
just kidding
#4October 6th, 2007 · 06:14 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
What a really beautiful massage to give your children.
I hope their old enough to get their heads around some of it !
I find the first two verses really flow , right message right words, ideas and rhyme, half way through the third onwards I find it a little 'pushed' though the message is good.
It could also be that it starts with the universal message of the human values but then turns to point at "those who seek to spread the truth" and "those who mistake Their passions for the truth" in particular. 
#5October 6th, 2007 · 09:01 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
passions and the truth
kings wrote…
... half way through the third (verse) onwards I find it a little 'pushed' though the message is good.
It could also be that it starts with the universal message of the human values but then turns to point at "those who seek to spread the truth" and "those who mistake Their passions for the truth" in particular.  :roll:

The piece does turn to focus two groups of people to watch out for. It identifies the injustices of the world as coming from these two groups, and differentiates between them based on their motives. Foremost among them are "those who mistake Their passions for the truth", which are the same as "those who seek to spread the truth". Why should we be wary of those who seek to spread the truth? Because different people see different truths, and attach varying degrees of importance to them. In this respect, they can be blinded by their own truths (blinded by the light). Such people are too often driven by ideologies or or their own narrow (special) interest, and they are identifiable in their intolerance for others. To them, the ends justifies the means. We may all have been included in this group at one time or another. These are well-meaning people who are insensitive to, or lacking compassion for, the legitimate views and needs of others. Examples are religious fundamentalists and extremists of all sects, political extremists on every side, and even such seemingly innocent people as parents who are too narrowly focused on certain children's issues. We have all seen it. It is this tendency among well meaning people, the world over, that is responsible for the vast majority of human suffering. We have all heard the line, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." This is the work crew.

The other group are "those Who harbor darkness in their hearts". These are people who have given in to corruption, greed and malice. They willingly oppress or injure others for their own gain. The lines "So keep a candle burning/Deep inside your heart/To light it's darkest places/Where evil comes to court" is an admonishment to look inside yourself first and always, to make sure your own intentions are pure, and that you yourself have not become corrupted. We look at people in power and we see corruption easily. The fact is that 'Power tends to corrupt" (Lord Acton's dictum), and with the tiniest bit of power, comes incentives to act corruptly (i.e. you get a raise at work, and now make a little more money than your co-workers, and reasonably want to protect your advantage). This group also includes violent criminals and the morally bankrupt.

In summary, Kings correctly observes that the piece focuses on two groups as sources of evil. But I am trying to show here that this is not a limiting factor - these two groups include the whole of man's injustice and inhumanity to man. Also, I want to stress that while it's easy to focus on the big issues in the world, this is written to children, about the daily choices of morality and justice that we are all faced with and deal with every day, often with little thought, , and how to navigate their way to making the right one - through unbiased research and judgment, resulting in a conviction to find a solution based on reason, and to raise the voice of reason against those who blinded, whether by the light (truth) or the night (malice, ignorance etc).

Hope this helps. Feedback welcome.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 7:27 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.