THERE WERE THESE SHADOWS FOLLOWIN' ME
THERE WERE LESS THAN FIVE AND MORE THAN THREE
BUT WHAT THEY WERE I COULDN'T TELL
I THOUGHT THEY MIGHT THE FISH FROM HELL

THEY WERE FOUR FLAT FLOUNDERS
FOUR FLAT FLOUNDERS
FOUR FLAT FLOUNDERS
FOUR FLAT FLOUNDERS
FOUR FLAT FLOUNDERS AND THEY WERE STALKING ME.

WELL I TURNED AROUND WHEN I HEARD THEIR SWISH
I FIGURED THAT THEY WERE SOME KIND FLYING FISH
BUT WHEN I LOOKED BACK THEY'D DUCK AND HIDE
IN THE SAND WITH ONLY THEIR LITTLE EYES BUGGIN' OUT

CHORUS

WELL I TURNED DOWN COTTER AND HEADED TOWARD THE FERRY
THE SIZE OF THESE FISH REALLY MADE ME WORRY
MY BROW BEADED UP WITH SWEAT FROM FEAR
WHEN SAW THESE MONSTERS AS THEY DREW NEAR
THERE WAS ONE EIGHT AND TWO TEN-POUNDERS
AND THE BIG MOMMA FISH MADE IT FOUR FLAT FLOUNDERS

CHORUS

I TURNED DOWN OLEANDER AND HID BEHIND OCEANS OF SEAFOOD
I DIDN'T THINK THEY FOLLOW ME BEHIND A FISH STORE
SO I PULLED OUT MY GIG FROM MY GIG BAG
AND WAITED FOR THEM TO SHOW THEMSELVES
AS THEY CAME AROUND THE CORNER I GOT THEM ALL
STABBED THEM IN THEIR HEADS ONE, TWO, THREE

CHORUS:
FOUR FLAT FLOUNDERS
FOUR FAT FLAT FLOUNDERS
FOUR FINE FABULOUSLY FAT FLAT FLOUNDERS
FOUR FINE FLYIN' FLOPPIN' FABULOUSLY FAT FLAT FLOUNDERS
I GOT FOUR FLAT FLOUNDERS
'CAUSE THEY WERE STALKIN' ME
#2March 2nd, 2007 · 02:04 AM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
original
Yes, well . . . harumph!

Very original and, um, and FUN. Very original and fun. This is probably fun to sing, and fun to listen to as well. And it certainly is original. I can say,  with certainty, that I have never heard a song about being stalked by four fat flounders, and if I have, I'm pretty sure they didn't get gigged before the end of the song.

But I do have a concern. You say you "...GOT THEM ALL
STABBED THEM IN THEIR HEADS ONE, TWO, THREE"

But there were four, not three, so I'm concerned, about the other one, you see? The other flounder? Did you stab all four flounders, or just three? Because you seem to contradict yourself on that one point and, I'm just thinking aloud here, but if there is one flounder still alive, revenge might be on it's mind - particularly a flounder who was stalking you to begin with, and that only to have you kill his companions.

Yes, I know, it's probably nothing. You probably actually killed all of them, but then, wouldn't you say, "...ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR"? And just be done with it? Of course, you're a musician, presumably, and therefore statistically unlikely to be an accountant too, so it's understandable if you aren't perfect with your numbers. But we are talking about some fairly simple numbers, aren't we? Threes and fours? I shouldn't think that the mathematics are all that problematic. So as I was saying, if you did actually only stab three of them, and the other was still alive, well what if it was the mother flounder, and you killed her children? That could be one very dangerous flounder? So I understand you wrote this quite some time ago, and so presumably any lingering flounder-based threat is probably long past in any event, but still, if you could clear that up for me, I'm sure we'd all sleep a little better tonight.

Keep up the original ideas and FUN lyrics!
#3March 2nd, 2007 · 03:20 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Strange, strange.
You can ignore this post if you want (but probably won't).
Don't read if you are normal...

Lol, what a unique lyric. I couldn't help notice the line "THERE WERE LESS THAN FIVE AND MORE THAN THREE", and then saw Simon's post and thought... wouldn't it be ridiculous if you played that up a bit more and changed the line to "there were more than 5 and less than 3"! Just a random thought (strangely enough, I had discussed a similar phrase earlier on today). However the mathematical answer would be "the square root of 36, which is 6 or -6, but you can't have negative amounts of flounders... unless... you consider the concept of anti-matter, which is the existence of the negative of things and beings (eg. 7 anti-apples are -7 apples).

Whatever works   

WB
#4March 2nd, 2007 · 10:50 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Your missing the point simon, baverbach is projecting the experience, or what ever it's called, he didn't really get stalked by flounders!!!
He's using his imagination, and imagination does not usually follow mathematical logic. Mine doesn't anyway!
What the imagination can also miss are the I's and the the's, quite a few missing in there!

As to what this is.....love it, pure unadulterated humor!
I don't think it's the finished product yet though, I don't mean as a song I mean as a written lyric, some parts just role off the tongue other parts stutter too much, it is meant as a sharp, witty song, some bits don't do that element of the song justice!

I like WB suggestion of "there were more than 5 and less than 3"! but it's not a 'nonsense' song so it would be besides the point. But because it is not a nonsense song, the miscalculation of fish in the passage is seen as a Boob and not a conscious decision.

Hey! you should get this sung and dedicate it to swordfish, hes getting hooked (married) soon!
#5March 2nd, 2007 · 11:30 AM
13 threads / 12 songs
75 posts
United States of America
more on the Flounder Blues
This song is already recorded. If you woudl like to hear it I have part of it on my web site at bamusic.net/sounds
The song came out of an improvisation at a gig with one of my bands.
The line about stabbing them - one, two, three actually dove-tails into the beginning of the chorus like this
STABBED THEM IN THEIR HEADS ONE, TWO, THREE....I got four flat flounders...
so the fourth is mentioned in the beginning of the last chorus.
I was never actually stalked by flounders but have been stalked by dolphins while stalking flounders.
Dolphins love flounder and they love to throw them around like frizbees before eating them. It is very amusing to see this. And the dolphins seem to be having a blast.
The less than five and definitely more than three is a way of restating four.
If you baby leaves you and you want to write a song about it you probably want to restate that your baby left you in more than one way to keep things interesting; listen to the blues.
If anyone wants a copy of the song go to my website and email me and I'll be glad to get an mp3 of it to you.
The song is on my band, the AUSTIN KLEZMORIM, CD called Bubba's Waltz.
www.bamusic.net/klez
Love all the comments
Thanks and Shalom Y'all!
#6March 2nd, 2007 · 12:43 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
This song is so much fun...
Even the comments are fun. WB makes a great point indeed about turning the line, "THERE WERE LESS THAN FIVE AND MORE THAN THREE", inside out. Kings responds that this change would be good if it was a 'nonsense' song, but that it ISN'T one, so there is no point in the change.

Kings also instructed me that the point of the song was IMAGINATION - he doesn't see it as a counting song.

Personally, I would say that it IS a nonsense song, and much better for the acknowledgement. And my response above was a nonsense response - just trying to stir up some dust mites in this stale ol' forum

But BBs response (and he should know, since he wrote it), is the error is not n the writing, but in the reading, and I like the explanation.
#7March 2nd, 2007 · 03:00 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
75 posts
United States of America
THIS IS SERIOUS
The song is not serious. Unless you on some major medication maybe.
I wrote it at a time when I killed many flounder and maybe felt guilty?
......NAH!
view the video if you want to see serious.
www.bamusic.net/sounds
#8March 2nd, 2007 · 03:02 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
75 posts
United States of America
FLOUNDER BLUES ON THIS SITE
You can hear the song on this site under Audio Review
If you like please vote
THanks
#9March 4th, 2007 · 03:07 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
how cool this is
man this is just a fun song and i love fun songs.   I gotta say i heard  the song before posting here and  it sounds hard to sing  all those words starting with  the letter f .   after a few drinks ..if you drink at gigs, could be hard to sing lol  I'd like to hear what would come out.  anyway this is a fine whimsical song.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:32 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.