#1December 25th, 2006 · 06:09 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
ummmmmmmmmmmmm this is BasketCase by Green Day..yes you changed a few words here and there but this IS GREENDAY'S BASKETCASE
#2December 25th, 2006 · 06:11 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
reallY!
#3December 25th, 2006 · 06:17 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
plagiarism!
Bad bee, Bad bee!

Why? I wanted to comment about you using the lyrics review as some kind of blog... I don't really understand.. How much of your work is really yours? What is going on? Please explain... A cry for attention? Please explain.. And don't feel paranoid about it, you must have some good reasons. I'm not gonna bite, honest.

PX (mod)
#4December 25th, 2006 · 09:05 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Can I just but in here and ask about "give it to someone special".

Who's song is that?

After seeing the similarities before and your lack explanation or any reaction its made me think twice before commenting on 'your' work, now that this is another subtly changed piece from somebody else I am going to think more than twice before I even read your work!
As PX said if its a cry for help, find some way to formulate it and explain but taking other peoples songs and changing a little here and there is not what its about. Sorry to say!

Kings(interested)
#5December 26th, 2006 · 05:11 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
hmm yes that is true, but as you should be aware, bee, these forums exist for our own creative efforts. you don't have the copyrights to songs or lyrics not your own, and call me paranoid, but we had rather not have that kind of material published on this site, for legal reasons.

Look, it's never a problem to let yourself be inspired by existing lyrics, but altering them to give it (just a little) twist of your own, is not the way. Atleast not without clearly mentioning the lyrics origins. I'm not into Green Day and you made no obvious references to it, so I would have taken these lyrics to be all your own creative efforts - and that is not only not fair, it is also illegal.

See Kine's post about Whiskey in the Jar for instance... She clearly states where the inspiration comes from, and that her version is just taking the concept of the song in another direction... She even specifically asked for permission to post it in the Abuse section - and the permission was granted, because Whiskey in the Jar is a traditional song, and to traditional songs are No Copyright claims (ofcourse Thin Lizzy's and Metallica's renditions have copyright claims to the arrangements and the recordings.. but that is a different issue).

Now, as we say in modern jargon: let this be a learning moment... And let me know if you understand it.

Peace be with you...
PX (mod)
#6December 26th, 2006 · 04:59 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
what a thread
Bee, I hope you are taking this discussion to heart. Not only is it important to learn what is legal to borror from others as you write your own material, but it is also important to recognize how much time and effort others put into reviewing your work. This is done for you.

When you post here, it is assumed and required that your posting represents original work. So we take your work at face value (as your own) unless a situation like this comes up.

A couple of your works definitely cross this line, as mentioned above. There is at least one other that probably does too - "the boi". The chorus verse which begins this song, "he was a boy, she was a girl. This is taken directly from Avril Levigne's hit song, Sk8ter Boi, including the unique spelling of "boi". The rest of the song uses your own words, but the story roughly parellels the Levigne song.

Incidentally, Levigne also covered the Greenday song, "Basket Case", which you altered and presented above as, "paranoid"

You have posted 25 lyrics. Some of them, besides those discussed above, are very promising. But your credibility has been damaged. We have no idea which songs borrow illegally from the work of other artists, published or otherwise.

My recommendation is for you to review each of your posts, and honestly assess what work is yours and what is borrowed. Delete all posts that are not completely original. In works such as "the boi" you could replace the original lines with your own if you wish. At that point these would become original works.

Once you do that, you must absolutely adhere to the principle of only posting original work. If you are exposed posting plagiarized material again, I recommend that you be expelled from Bankdamp permanently.

I am not an administrator on this site, and I am not in a position to enforce these recommendations. But I think these recommendations would be fair for everyone concerned, and would allow you to continue as a credible "band amper"
#7December 26th, 2006 · 05:59 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
simon wrote…
In works such as "the boi" you could replace the original lines with your own if you wish. At that point these would become original works.

Yes this is a good idea.
Because it is also possible that Bee was inspired so much and could relate so much to a song that she wants to pass that inspiration and relationship forward to others.
I have the same feeling with some song, where my own creative thread is turned on so much by that of another that showing respect to their work is to use it.
A song was posted recently where someone commented that it was 'Metallica', well it might have been, the musician denies it but said he was a fan of metallica, so it is logical he will be influenced by Metallica.
Same with words, its just that publishing whole songs from another with no explanation of or indication to constitutes a kick in the ass. Officially.

But baning is a bit much simon, we should ban you for being too cleaver!

But Bee the fact that we hear so little from you also makes it odd.
why don't you take some time and not post, just read the comments and react?
then we can see if you've sussed any thing out!
You've got a precious talent that needs to developing and this might be the place that can take you further, if, that is you have the nous to stick with it.
#8December 26th, 2006 · 06:10 PM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
you changed three words.. THREE WORDS!! 
#9December 26th, 2006 · 08:05 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Bee wrote…
yes everybody i know. three words. but you have to see my point. did you read what i said? it kinda sounds like you didn't.

I dont see the point your making, "ok you see my point is if you change 3 words in a song its still the same song", well thats a no brainer I believe. Plus if you truly were trying to prove a point I think you would of stated so before anyone busted you, also I think you would of changed more than 3 words...Maybe your saying without the cursing(whore) and drugs(am I just stoned) remarks its still the same song so why bother using it...However I think you would of stated that as well.In closing I would also like to say this is the lyric REVIEW  forum and no matter the reason or point you were trying to make it has no business in this thread.Thats what the blogs are for....and if you want to prove a point in the future maybe include that piece of info.Personally I read it and was pissed, obviously you can tell by my username why.I was like who the (F) does she think shes foolin? Anyways thats enough.
#10December 27th, 2006 · 02:06 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hhhhmmmm hmmm... This is a weird experiment of yours... More something you could have discussed in the Pit... How will slight alterations change a song lyric's meaning... That would definately be an interesting thread.

Now, in administrator mode, I am willing to let you off the hook, as long as you promise you will not conduct these experiments anymore where they are not fitting. BasketCase said it correctly: this is the Lyrics Review, where one posts his/her OWN lyrics only.

Also, if you are planning to do/post anything liable to cause confusion, please contact a moderator (me, or jimkdaadtman) to share your plans and ask for permission. You sure would have gotten useful feedback from me on plans for experiments like these, and I would have greatly discouraged you to go through with them.

For the dead simple reason that one is not allowed to post lyrics not their own....
#11December 27th, 2006 · 02:12 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
hell they probably change the words live
If I don't have permision or this is abuse please delete/ just for some fun though....

if there like most bands, they change the words to there own songs anyway just for fun. If you did the same songs night after night for 160 to 180 days pretty much straight out,  you'll find that even though you love your own music it gets a little old. So you change the words sometimes on purpose and sometimes cause you forget. So I say so you changed some words a little, why would that make such a big change in the song, and why is it in this forum  anyway. It should probably be in the pit, or another forum. This is for original lyrics or at least I thought it was for original lyrics. But then again maybe some words were changed and the meaning of this forum is different now. lol

The word changed to the way I like it.

Do you have the time
to help me drink my wine
don't drink nothing drink everything
All at once.
I am one of those
chromatic playing fools
erotic with my bone
No doubt about it.

sometimes i find myself with sheep
sometimes i find ticks on me
I keep on hacking up
a fur ball ina a cup
am i just hairanoid?
oh oh

i visited the vet
he said'd be a good pet
so quit my baahbbbahhbbahhhh
it's bringing him down
yeah yeah yeah

sometimes i find  myself with sheep
sometimes I find ticks on  on me
I keep on hacking up
a fur ball ina a cup
am i just hairanoid?
oh oh

grasping
to control
so I'd better hold on

sometimes i find myself with sheep
sometimes i find ticks on   me
I keep on hacking up
a fur ball ina a cup
am i just hairanoid
i don't know
oh oh
#12December 27th, 2006 · 03:37 AM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
bottom line
As PuppetXeno said, is that this forum is for original lyrics only - 100% original. If your lyrics are 90% original, then 10% is plagiarized, and it has no place here. Just post 100% original lyrics and everything will be fine. You've gotten this whole forum in a tizzy by clearly breaking the rules. Play fair.

Server Time: April 28th, 2024 · 4:26 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.