#1November 29th, 2006 · 12:38 AM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
Be So Hard
This is written as a sultry but upbeat R&B rocker, moderate tempo. Enjoy.

Sometimes you tell me we should take it slow
Sometimes you ask me things you ought to know
Sometimes you turn your back on what you fear
To play the music only I can hear

Sometimes you hold me like the King of Hearts
     Sometimes you come and go in fits and starts
     I never know just how you’ll play that card
     Beneath the softness you can be so hard

Sometimes you give me love and tenderness
Sometimes you do things that you don’t confess
Sometimes you justify my faith in you
To merge what’s fantasy with what is true

Sometimes you open up and let me in
Sometimes you’re righteous and sometimes you sin
I never know just where to draw that line
It’s hard to judge you when I feel so fine

#2November 29th, 2006 · 12:24 PM
9 threads
75 posts
United States of America
Simon*
This song is really good...normally I don't dig repetitive
things but I like the repetitive use of sometimes youis good in this song. what do you mean by hold me like the king of hearts?
just wondering :)lemme know!
*xXxsaharaxXx*
#3November 29th, 2006 · 03:15 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
King of hearts
xXssaharaxXx: Your question lies at the heart of the song's paradoxical meaning. On it's own, Chorus Line 1, "Sometimes you hold me like the King of Hearts", the King of Hearts is a symbol of strength and love. But Line 3 reveals the King of Hearts as nothing more than a card to be played - manipulated by the card shark: "I never know know just how you'll play that card".
#4November 29th, 2006 · 03:19 PM
9 threads
75 posts
United States of America
Neatto!
Okay..now I feel dumb! I new that , but I guess it didn't occur to me at the moment! Blonde moment! lol, thanks abunch...no that i have re-read it it sounds awesome, with the hidden meaning.
xXxsaharaxXx
#5December 1st, 2006 · 12:25 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
OK, haven't been away, been here a couple of times just didn't leave a comment, sorry for that.

Right I've just sung this aloud and.............No problem!

But for 'merge' is somewhat too intelligent a word if that makes any sense.

I do like the repetitiveness of 'sometimes' because it brings in a nice catch lyrical hook (as they call it) and if music and words are worked at together, the 'sometimes' can excel in emotion and expression, and can be the base upon which it rests!

I hope you realise that commenting on something which one finds technically and lyrically perfect is a near impossible task, like just trying to say something just to fill in space!
Yet I realise that just a 'that was good' is a bit weak and disappointing for the author.

I like it's time, it's rhyme and it's sublime! You know what to do with words and this is a perfect example of a very simple thought molded and woven into a string of flowing moments.

Ok, one more comment, change the title, cards are not hard, and if it is a really deep well thought out title I don't get it.

Love can be such an evil thing!! Especially for us simple logical men 
#6December 1st, 2006 · 01:35 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
the title and the merge
Good comment on the word "merge". I have often thought about making a change.

As for the title, its not really deep, but it's not the card that is hard - its the woman! I am the card she plays - the King of Hearts. She is hard enough to either hold me like the King of Hearts (King of Love), or to play me like a card (King of Hearts) - "I never know just how you'll play that card"

Yep, love is tough fur us guys. Women run circles around us, and we don't even know it.
#7December 1st, 2006 · 02:17 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I'm getting personal now, but I'm sure your a Pisces!
Your a dreamer, your artistic, you not only see most of the story you also see it from both sides (empathy).

Either that or your a Libra.

And your weak!
Why do I say weak?

Well, she makes you the king of hearts and you let her play you!

O the 'Merge' only came out because I was singing it!
#8December 1st, 2006 · 05:15 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
i'm a leo, actually - a beast!
You don't always get to decide whether someone plays you or not, unless you have your guard up so high you never let anyone in. If you let 'em in, you are vulnerable. The question is, "Do you keep letting them play you?"  In this case, the singer is weighing both sides, and comments at the end how hard it is "to judge you when I feel so fine". Makes you wonder just how good he feels, huh? Pretty darned good, I'd say. But in the end the song isn't about the man's decision about his relationship - it's a character portrait of a woman who exemplifies the extremes. She's good and she's bad, but I'm guessing she's never dull

But don't make the mistake of judging me personally by what I write. My writing isn't necessarily about my own personal experience - and that opens another can of worms about writing lyrics, and maintaining inspiration all the way through a piece. Most lyric writers, myself included, start because they need to express their personal joy, angst and confusion about their lives. But if you're productivity is only going to carry you as far as your current crisis, you're likely to run out of material eventually, or else write only sporadically. When you delve down into your soul, and find only reruns of "Friends", what are you going to do? Go out and get run over by a woman (or a man, or a pickup truck) so you will have something to write about? Nothing to laugh at - I'm sure some people do.

Good writing is a craft that combines emotion, inspiration, and skill. At some point you have to be able to draw on your well of emotion and personal experience to convincingly turn situations and stories into your own. When you can blend the dispassionate skill of writing with the emotion of the poet, you take a huge step forward in being able to write consistently and productively. I didn't know this - I just stumbled on it within the past year. I hope that sharing it with you gives you something to think about, so you can reach this point a lot faster than I did.

By the way kings, this isn't necessarily directed at you, but at anyone who can benefit. You seem to write strongly and consistently. I'm a big fan of both your lyrics and your reviews.
#9December 2nd, 2006 · 08:02 AM
46 threads / 33 songs
179 posts
United States of America
I really like the chorus.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 7:34 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.