#1November 18th, 2006 · 03:35 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Dreams mean nothing my friend
http://kings.bandamp.com/

Felt like posting some more words, it's getting interesting here at the lyrical department recently.

Well tell me about it.

I believe that it’s meant to be
I believe that it’s all up to me

This is that burning
This that drives me on
This is that love
This, that is here until it is gone

In the end
You’ve got to die for the dreams that you live

All along
You’ve got to fight for the piece that you need

And when all hope is gone
I’ll still sing this song
I’ll just carry on
Like I’m meant to

And when it’s in the dark I hide
And all my tears are cried
I'm on my own, not by your side
I will look out from here.
#2November 18th, 2006 · 06:38 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
not your best
Its got the rythm and all, it just doesn't say enough. It hints all around, but doesn't really tell us what you are talking about.

It's sort of like that "moth to the flame" thing, but the flame is just out off-camera, so all you see is this moth fluttering around. But you don't see the memerizing beauty of the flame that the moth sees, you just hear the narrator describing it. And lets face it, no matter how you describe a flame, if you've never actually seen fire, you don't know what he's talking about.
#3November 19th, 2006 · 05:08 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
nice
Nice Kings...this is what I meant by leaving some mystery in your lyrics...let the reader/listener   use thier imagination. this is what I meant when i said  your writing a song  not a book    ROCK ON KINGS

Flyer
#4November 19th, 2006 · 05:50 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
good point, flyer
Yup yup, excellent point by FLYER. I love that "not a book" statement! Something to always remember when writing lyrics. Ambiguity can not only add mystery, it also allows more interpretive license by the reader/listener, giving it meaning to a wider audience. The other side of that coin is that when the piece is too ambiguous it fails to engage the audience enough to care.

My daughter started writing lyrics when she was 10, and she has that gift of writing with enough ambiguity to make her lyrics more universal. But sometimes they are so ambiguous that they lack meaning, so watching her develop as a writier has made me real sensitive to this area of writing.

But in a song, the music can give the listener the 'information' necessary to become engaged, and that could well be the case in this one.
#5November 20th, 2006 · 12:20 PM
9 threads
75 posts
United States of America
I agree..
I agree with both simon and flyer. Mystery is a key elemnt in writting lyrics.
I try to use it often. However lately I slack off..The best song I have is called Gray Night. I haven't posted it yest but by the title, you can see it adds mystery, and makes you want to read it. I love this song...it is so true.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 1:05 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.