#1August 2nd, 2013 · 12:32 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Simple Effective Mix Organization.
]Most every one knows about assigning track colors. So I won't go into that but, some of you may not know about  using track folders effectively (I know I didn't). 

Most of the DAW's I've looked at have some form of a track folder system. Track folder systems can great decrease your editing time and mixing time , once you learn how. it's pretty simple to use and can be a valuable tool.

Here is a pic of a mix project already set up with folders.. (you may have to zoom in some to see it)
 If you notice there is a blue line that says "DRUMS" underneath that is the drum tracks starting edge slightly moved over. same with vocals, and guitar. etc..  Several ways to create track folders, one is to select the tracks you need then in your DAW find the "Track folders from selection" (you DAW may have different terminology).

#2August 2nd, 2013 · 01:10 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
creating track folders
here is a pic of the mouse type selection for creating Track Folders. In Digital Performer

#3August 2nd, 2013 · 01:12 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
here is a pic Different pic using folders
In this pic some of the Track Folders are collapsed, some are not.

#4August 2nd, 2013 · 01:14 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
all folders collapapsed
Here is a pic of all folders collapsed there is a reason why I'm doing it like this. stay with me.
#5August 2nd, 2013 · 01:22 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Editing with track folders
Lets say you have 6 similar tracks that belong together, You can load them into their track folders then do editing with just the track folder. Here I have 6 hand claps that are in a folder called CLAPS.  I can trim, split, splice, cut, copy and paste, mute, and most other editing feature, done right to the folder . it applies the edits to all tracks inside the folder as one.  One edit move ... edits these 6 tracks at the same time.

#6August 2nd, 2013 · 01:35 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Track Folders
more explanations. 
 Mixing drums can be a pain staking endeavor.  Even with track folders.  But using folders with proper muting techniques can improve this a lot.  simply mute all other folders except the one you want to work with ei DRUMS

I expand my drums with all the other track folders muted.  Then let's say i need to solo a hi hat for some anomaly
while the drums are all playing. I can solo the hi hat, it mutes the rest of the tracks ( the ones left in the drum folder, as all other tracks are muted by the Track Folder mute they reside in).  I listen to the hi hat , fix the problem, unmute the hi hat track ,, bam back to listening to only the drums folder again... not the whole mix.

Another aspect.. loop base recording.. multiple tracks that need to be moved into several locations within a song.. load them into a track folder , make proper edits, then copy  and paste the track folder  to the other locations within the song. Providing you've made the correct edits before hand.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/0kVufnDA98w/youtube]
#7August 2nd, 2013 · 05:00 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Great stuff goat - I do the same, you can have folders for everything including effects. I load a few slightly different reverb types and sample them - it's quite effective using different types in one song, so that all tracks sit nice in the mix.
#8August 3rd, 2013 · 01:11 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I do the same thing,  I you look at the first pic. I have Room, Plate, and Delay.  The three main depth and space effects I use.  I also picked up a great tip for bringing a little more excitement into a solo, or snare drum or whatever, by adding on an addition reverb, or two , in certain parts of the song, just to bring it out a bit.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 29th, 2024 · 2:05 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.