#1July 1st, 2006 · 05:50 PM
48 threads / 7 songs
429 posts
United States of America
vocals (bleh)
does any one know of a way to make my vocals sound more lively? i know hisis proubley a stupid question seeing as how when you talk your voice is automaticly animated and what not but i have a very quite voice because i hate the way it sounds when im loud, but the quite kind gives the effect of a monoton or a flat liner and when i am loud it sounds flat as well and it sounds rehesed i dont know how to fix these proublems.................. i could really use some tips....... please help!
paperdoll
#2July 1st, 2006 · 07:20 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
lively vocals
It's hard to give you advice on this, as there is no reference to go by, with your voice, or singing. Do you have a vocal track on bandamp or a vocal track to upload or email.
So many people do so many things diffrently that it's hard to tell you what to do.
There's some recording techniques that can make your vocals stand out a little, but it still comes down to vocal tonality, some people just sound better to our ears than others. You may have a wonderful voice that doesn't need anything (most singers I know hate the sound of their voice ). You might try a vocal coach and get some ideas from them.
#3July 1st, 2006 · 07:39 PM
20 threads / 18 songs
93 posts
United Kingdom
Try a ghost track....
...try laying a ghost track...straight and clean....if your using a computer,  copy the track (youve got two now) put both on seperate channels...track one...pan left...track two...pan right....but thats not the law...fiddlle about. It gives you a nice chorus...without using effect. If you have send and return capability, more than one that is...set one channel post and the other pre fader.,..lets you throw in echo on single words, ends of lines. if you "out of sync" one of the vocal tracks slightly (matter of taste) this can beef you up a bit and give you a slight flange effect. Nicer than some quite costly vocal processors, and keeps the naturelness of the original recording
.....works for me. Then you can slaughter it digitally if you like...trust me, it will sound better than slaughtering it in the first place.....but then again, who am i to tell you what to do...a good mic is probably the best place to start...anyway....whispering voices are cool...but you need to be able to capture it without scagging your gain. Peace...Adious ALPD
#4July 1st, 2006 · 07:41 PM
20 threads / 18 songs
93 posts
United Kingdom
Either that or buy a plane ticket and come and see us all at the Lab...the mice would be over the moon...
#5July 1st, 2006 · 09:10 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I use some Reverb and Compressing for my voice only. Also I copy the track in another channel.
I suggest you to do that, copy the voice in another track, and then use two different sound on each one. For example put more Dry Reverb on the left and more Wet Reverb in the right. Gives you a more dynamic sound.
Hope it works for you.

> Iszil
#6July 22nd, 2006 · 11:45 PM
26 threads
86 posts
United States of America
Reverb typically helps widen up the sound of your voice. You can try chorus to give it a bit more impact, or even a very short delay has a similar effect. There are places where you want to be sparing, and places where you can load up as much FX as your cpu can handle. It all depends on the sound you're going for.

For example, not that Eyes open is necessarily a great example to follow, but on the verse I used reverb, automated a send channel with delay, and a compressor on my vocals, and the delay was mostly for rhythm, not really enhancing my voice at all.

However, on the "i can see i can see" part my voice was running (in this order) through a vocoder (the vocoder in FL is really crappy, it was just for coloration, nothing like the one in cubase I used on drifting) then chorus, then a Filter with the cutoff being modulated by a peak controller, then reeverb, and lastly a compressor. Oh, and it was layered in 3 part harmony.

Anyways, more than anything just experiment. Many a good discovery has been made by mistake.
#7September 21st, 2006 · 03:01 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
You need power
I think what I get from your voice is lack of strength. I'm assuming here you want to improve your voice as an instrument, not just in the mix.
I studied voice for a while and took away a lot that carries into gigging and recording.
Your voice is a group of muscles like any other and needs its excercise. Your throat on the other hand needs to be babied.
Scales, arrpegios, and riffs that you like are all good to practice but you should really seek out a coach to show you how not to mess up your voice in the process.
You should concentrate on intonation in particular, which is hard when you first start practicing . And for the love of God! use a metronome.
Forget the students I've had whose sense of rhythm and tempo were shit, i've gigged with tons of guys (even drummers) who've never even owned a metronome, and it showed.
A click makes it possible to quickly improve your technique. In fact it's necessary for really excellent technique. Also, if you play an instrument and accompany yourself, it'll help that too.
Good Luck
#8September 23rd, 2006 · 06:33 AM
8 threads / 2 songs
47 posts
India
Reverb them...try out softwares...
different options...
etc etc..

be creative and you'll become good at the software
and also at the way of presenting your voice...

experiment girl experiment...!!!
#9October 5th, 2006 · 01:59 PM
24 threads
319 posts
Malaysia
does recording in the bathroom actually work?
#10November 18th, 2006 · 07:40 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
don't know about that
I know singing in the shower makes me sound GREAT. In fact, it's the only place I sound great. I probably need a wireless mike so I don't electrocute myself. Problem is every song will sound like I'm singing in the rain. Maybe that will be my trademark sound. You know, the Rainman of Song?
#11December 7th, 2006 · 01:45 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Go to a place you know no one will hear you, and just make noise, loud as possible, find the voice within yourself that allows you to sing with all the intensity your song requires. It's all within yourself.
#12May 24th, 2007 · 08:27 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
try this
http://forum.bandamp.com/Lessons/51554.html

and by the way, you have to get over yourself when it comes to being embarrassed to sing when other people are around. if you need to go get a sound proof bullet proof pressure locked steel vault to practice singing in, do it, but realize that some day you'll have to sing in front of someone if that practice is going to be worth anything.

my suggestion: get over it sooner rather than later. this is really one of the trickiest things about singing, getting over yourself. i don't really have any particularly good tips or tricks other than explaining over and over how it's not a big deal.

try going to a karaoke night somewhere. you don't have to sing to become quickly not embarrassed with your own singing skills. but if you can make yourself get up there and sing, then all the better.
#13May 24th, 2007 · 08:46 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
WillyDavidK wrote…
Reverb typically helps widen up the sound of your voice. You can try chorus to give it a bit more impact, or even a very short delay has a similar effect. There are places where you want to be sparing, and places where you can load up as much FX as your cpu can handle. It all depends on the sound you're going for.

For example, not that Eyes open is necessarily a great example to follow, but on the verse I used reverb, automated a send channel with delay, and a compressor on my vocals, and the delay was mostly for rhythm, not really enhancing my voice at all.

However, on the "i can see i can see" part my voice was running (in this order) through a vocoder (the vocoder in FL is really crappy, it was just for coloration, nothing like the one in cubase I used on drifting) then chorus, then a Filter with the cutoff being modulated by a peak controller, then reeverb, and lastly a compressor. Oh, and it was layered in 3 part harmony.

Anyways, more than anything just experiment. Many a good discovery has been made by mistake.

hehehe WET reverb......hahaha thats cool
yea just recentlly i have been
experimentingwith reverb I like the way
it sounds but.. also with PD i dont see why
you would want to change your voice
I love it just the way it is Its like
an Amy Lee type voice except higher
I think its cool but thats just my
opinoin or maybe just maybe you should
embrace who your are.....DANG! I sound
like frieken oprah!!! I need to
do something manly!!! (rips out chest hairs)
OOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!    
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 6:31 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.