#1August 18th, 2008 · 05:38 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Strumming Rut
No matter what I strum it ends up going back to this annoying strum that won't go away.

Any suggestions or something?
#2August 18th, 2008 · 06:05 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Strum with your toes or hum with your cat
but never look back to the past
#3August 19th, 2008 · 02:05 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Yes... listen to other people's music, learn it, and try to reproduce the strumming sound.  Don't just do it once, get it so that when you play the song the strumming for it comes naturally.  Then do it again for another song, and another, and another.

When you feel that you've broken the single style that you had, then try one of your own songs again but when you do, aim to play it in the style of one of the covers you learned.  Play around as much as you can until you're able to strum to any song in any style.

Just an idea... hope it helps.
#4August 20th, 2008 · 08:28 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
The great thing about this is that you are aware that you're in a strumming rut and want to do something about it/

BE Proactive.... get as much information as you can about strumming techniques and work your skills.

I had a uncle give me a book when I was just starting out that was nothing but Flamenco right had strumming and fingering stuff..  at the time I wasn't interested in it but years later I was feeling down about my style and felt it was lacking.. I was going through magazines for tabs and just grabbing at anything when I came across the book I had put up.. I got it down and worked my way through it.. some of it was easy , some very hard. but I gained a lot of information and insight into a style I had never thought of before.. It gave me ideas I would never have been able to come up with .
#5August 20th, 2008 · 09:31 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands

Triton: Good point, the past can't help you much now. Keeping it in mind. [to a degree]

Jim: I've been trying to listen to music and then play along with the strumming and it's sort of helping. I'll get there.

Goat: Besides getting lessons from someone, where would be the best place to find information for that? Google,youtube, etc, etc?
#6August 21st, 2008 · 08:43 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I would start with  ultimate guitar tabs and go to the lessons section and read read read and study study study.
this one is free...

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmcjAGJOPR0

be sure and watch all of this cause he really gets some very cool strumming stuff going on.
there is tons of this type of stuff up there from hard to easy. this one is kind of hard. but there is a bunch of them that you can get info from just watching.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 7:35 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.